pixeltracker

Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping

Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping

rattleNwoolypenguin
#1Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 5:24pm

Thats it.

Thats all I have to say.

Liar reveal story where a person lies to get close to a family and inadvertently brings the family closer through their lie?

While You Were Sleeping with Sandra Bullock.

BwayLB
#2Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 5:34pm

I never saw that movie

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 5:38pm

BwayLB said: "I never saw that movie "

Oh man, I love that movie. It’s one of the movies we watch every Christmas.

BwayLB
#4Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 5:41pm

^ I have heard of it don’t get me wrong

Jordan Catalano
#5Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 5:45pm

I wasn’t getting you right or wrong. Was just saying I love it. And it has a great fun role from Glynis Johns.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#7Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 6:30pm

It’s more like a kinder and gentler “World’s Greatest Dad,” a dark comedy that has the courage to suggest some people really ARE better off dead or worth more dead than alive.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#8Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 7:28pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "Thats it.

Thats all I have to say.

Liar reveal story where a person lies to get close to a family and inadvertently brings the family closer through their lie?

While You Were Sleeping with Sandra Bullock.
"

Absolutely right. Love it. Both great and it was Sandra's break out role and she was so adorable. They are both forgiven. 

Jordan Catalano
#9Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 7:54pm

Actually, SPEED in 1994 was her “breakout” role although an argument could be made it was her role in DEMOLITION MAN in 1993 since that’s what propelled her to SPEED and then super stardom.

I love her so much and I’m still pissed she didn’t play The Baker’s Wife in the INTO THE WOODS movie (with dubbing, of course).

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#10Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/5/21 at 8:53pm

Oh shiz, you're right. Well, in the rom com arena anyways. :)

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#11Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 1:06am

As someone who loves the movie and cannot stand the musical this offends me.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 7:05am

The OP is not wrong.  And I'm very glad that you've had a charmed enough life that their statement is what you find "offensive."  (And hopefully, you were joking as much as I am.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#13Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 7:13am

I mean, the plot device where a main character tells a lie that gets them exactly what they want but it then snowballs out of control is pretty common. While You Were Sleeping was hardly the first. Although I would say it is probably the easiest to swallow since Sandra’s character is so lovable and her lie is ultimately not really hurtful to anyone.

BwayLB
#14Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 10:46am

I was a bigger fan of the music in DEH more so than the plot. Evan was better in Act One before he started dressing like Connor

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#15Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 11:04am

BwayLB said: "I was a bigger fan of the music in DEH more so than the plot. Evan was better in Act One before he started dressing like Connor"

In my opinion, the show is difficult to be done because the whole liar setup. On paper it doesn’t sound good and with the wrong actors, it can all fall apart. But when I saw the original cast, I thought they did it perfectly, as Jennifer Laura Thompson’s crying so sympathetic that I bought why Evan would falsely admit to being friends with Connor.

And I also though Ben Platt handled this aspect beautifully, getting across that Evan acts with good intentions, but is also unsure of whether or not he’s doing any good.

I get why people complain about this aspect and thus the show, but I can’t mind it when it’s executed that well.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

BwayLB
#16Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 11:07am

NameGreg said: "BwayLB said: "I was a bigger fan of the music in DEH more so than the plot. Evan was better in Act One before he started dressing like Connor"

In my opinion, the show is difficult to be done because the whole liar setup. On paper it doesn’t sound good andwith the wrong actors, it can all fall apart. But when I saw the original cast, I thought they did it perfectly, as Jennifer Laura Thompson’s crying so sympathetic that I bought why Evan would falsely admit to being friends with Connor.

And I also though Ben Platt handled this aspect beautifully, getting across that Evan acts with good intentions, but is also unsure of whether or not he’s doing any good.

I get why people complain about this aspect and thus the show, but I can’t mind it when it’s executed that well.
"

I like Ben a lot I really do and I did like the show. But I wouldn’t sit through it again. And I would have been excited for the movie coming in September if it happened sooner.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#17Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 1:54pm

I think at the root of it, this particular use of the '"liar reveal" trope in this show will just always feel icky and contrived.

It's so much time he wastes for this family in this critical agonizing stage of mourning I just can't get past that. And we're spending so much time with Evan trying to understand HIM. He does this despicable thing to this family and the writers care very little about how this affects them and their mental state when they find out he lied.

There's just something selfish about the storytelling. They really make you feel like he's gonna be off the hook and who cares what this did to the Murphy's.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#18Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 3:11pm

darquegk said: "It’s more like a kinder and gentler “World’s Greatest Dad,” a dark comedy that has the courage to suggest some people really ARE better off dead or worth more dead than alive."

Ding ding ding. It's a sanitized World's Greatest Dad with all of the nuance and wit and hard edges removed, which leaves something that's only morally troubling in ways that seem unintentional. 

BwayLB
#19Dear Evan Hansen is just While You Were Sleeping
Posted: 4/8/21 at 4:33pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "I think at the root of it, this particular use of the '"liar reveal" trope in this show will just always feel icky and contrived.

It's so much time he wastes for this family in this critical agonizing stage of mourning I just can't get past that. And we're spending so much time with Evan trying to understand HIM. He does this despicable thing to this family and the writers care very little about how this affects them and their mental state when they find out he lied.

There's just something selfish about the storytelling. They really make you feel like he's gonna be off the hook and who cares what this did to the Murphy's.
"

As much as i was happy Evan decided to go on living, if i was in his shoes i would not be thrilled about not being hated by millions of people for hiding how alone i felt.