pixeltracker

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?- Page 14

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?

PipingHotPiccolo
#325Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 1/13/23 at 11:27am

Really well put bdn223.  My initial reaction to this was "why are they casting such a young girl to play a woman who should be pushing 40" which is a credit to Tammy Blanchard (and, I guess, Ellen Green playing this role in perpetuity), that I so think of her as much older/worn out. 

I will say that Blanchard not being a vocal powerhouse worked (or at least was passable) because of how incredibly rich her portrayal of desperation was.... a *young* girl is gonna need to sing, so heres hoping Maude Apatow can, you know, do that?

7thbighero
#326Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/23 at 6:15pm

Is anyone gonna be at Maude’s first show tonight?

mememe
#327Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/23 at 6:29pm

bdn223 said: "Alex M said: "Very out of left field! Interested to know how she is!"

I wouldn't say she's out of left field, she is the traditional Audrey, a young ingenue with a slight edge/sadness.

Its more so interesting for the fact that the there are only 2 things that didn't make this a paint by numbers replica revival that countless schools, regional, and community theaters put on every year. One was it was built around Seymour, making him the shows focal point with all other characters being supporting, as opposed to most productions having Audrey being either the co-lead or star. The way this was done which leads to the second point was that Audrey was no longer a fresh faced naïve ingenue, she's an older middle aged woman beat down by life. In doing so it makes Seymour the sole spark of hope for change on Skid Row.

Audrey knows she's in an abusive relationship, she simply thinks she can't do better, which is much easier to portray when you are in your late 30s to early 40s as opposed to being 25. It transformed Audrey from a Tracey Turnblad/Ellen Green caricature into a Sally Bowles, which is why many could overlook the fact that Blanchard did not have the traditional vocal chops for the role. I am not saying I don't think Maude Apatow will do a good job, it just seems like a complete 180 for what this revival was created to be.
"

Wasn’t she in her thirties in the original production? Ellen Greene is a broken record in her interviews saying she was the one who made Audrey ‘over the hill’ and that she improved on the writer’s original concept. She also claims to have designed the look and bought the wig herself. 

7thbighero
#328Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/23 at 6:56pm

Greene  31 when the original production opened, and Faith Prince was 26 when she took over 

7thbighero
#329Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/7/23 at 10:23pm

Was anyone there tonight?

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#330Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/8/23 at 9:48am

I guess no one went to see Lexi’s play. Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
Sutton Ross
#332Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/9/23 at 12:16pm

I went to see Matt Doyle, I had no idea he was on vacation. Oh well, Evan was great. Maude was cast so Gen Z will see this and so ticket sales will be strong for the next two months. That's about it. She looks very young in the part, and she doesn't strike me at the "Ive been through and seen some sh*t" kind of Audrey. Her singing was very average, but she settled in towards the end of the show. 

Sutton Ross
smidge2
#334Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/9/23 at 12:27pm

Sutton Ross said: "I went to see Matt Doyle, I had no idea he was on vacation. Oh well, Evan was great. Maude was cast so Gen Z will see this and so ticket sales will be strong for the next two months. That's about it. She looks very young in the part, and she doesn't strike me at the "Ive been through and seen some sh*t" kind of Audrey. Her singing was very average, but she settled in towards the end of the show."

Matt tested for Covid last week and had to do the 10 day protocols.

Updated On: 2/9/23 at 12:27 PM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#335Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/9/23 at 12:54pm

Matt was sick when I went to see the show in December. I also went to see Rob over the summer an he was out with covid! 

JaggedLittlePal
#336Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/21/23 at 6:29pm

Sutton Ross said: "I went to see Matt Doyle, I had no idea he was on vacation. Oh well, Evan was great. Maude was cast so Gen Z will see this and so ticket sales will be strong for the next two months. That's about it. She looks very young in the part, and she doesn't strike me at the "Ive been through and seen some sh*t" kind of Audrey. Her singing was very average, but she settled in towards the end of the show."

Does anyone know who is taking over for Maude? We got tickets ages ago for first week of April, but it’s our first trip back post-Covid and we are not flying or 9 hours to see Maud. Rather see d’arcy carden in thanksgiving play. 

thanks!

7thbighero
#337Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/21/23 at 9:19pm

JaggedLittlePal said: "Sutton Ross said: "I went to see Matt Doyle, I had no idea he was on vacation. Oh well, Evan was great. Maude was cast so Gen Z will see this and so ticket sales will be strong for the next two months. That's about it. She looks very young in the part, and she doesn't strike me at the "Ive been through and seen some sh*t" kind of Audrey. Her singing was very average, but she settled in towards the end of the show."

Does anyone know who is taking over for Maude? We got tickets ages ago for first week of April, but it’s our first trip back post-Covid and we are not flying or 9 hours to see Maud. Rather see d’arcy carden in thanksgiving play.

thanks!
"

No one has been announced, but rumor is Joy Woods, OG Chiffon turned Catherine Parr will be coming in for a run

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#338Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 2/21/23 at 10:02pm

No one has been announced, but rumor is Joy Woods, OG Chiffon turned Catherine Parr will be coming in for a run "

Rumor has it the next Seymour will make sure the whole cast is ALL IN THIS TOGETHER 

JasonC3
#339Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/4/23 at 8:37pm

Just saw on Instagram that Apatow has extended her run until April 30.

Dollypop
#340Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/5/23 at 4:52pm

7thbighero said: "Was anyone there tonight?"

Nope. The theater was empty.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#341Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/5/23 at 6:06pm

Dollypop said: "7thbighero said: "Was anyone there tonight?"

Nope. The theater was empty.
"

get a life

Robbie516
#342Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/5/23 at 6:10pm

Who is going to be the next Seymour?

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#343Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/5/23 at 6:12pm

Robbie516 said: "Who is going to be the next Seymour?"

hearing its someone whos going to be needing to get their head in the game wink

Robbie516
#344Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/5/23 at 6:17pm

Corbin Bleu?

Sutton Ross
#345Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/5/23 at 10:16pm

hearing its someone whos going to be needing to get their head in the gamewink

INDEED Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?

Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?

thasanction22
#346Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/6/23 at 12:01am

Drew Gehling will be the next dentist. A predictable, obvious, but lovely choice xo

7thbighero
#348Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/7/23 at 10:32am

Matt Doyle posted he will be with Little Shop until July 16th

JaggedLittlePal
#349Little Shop...Who Leads? Anyone know?
Posted: 3/8/23 at 1:26pm

Alex M said: "Robbie516 said: "Who is going to be the next Seymour?"

hearing its someone whos going to be needing to get their head in the gamewink

"

Major thanks to all of you for the updates! We were so excited to see this and had front-row tickets. But there is no way we are sitting through Maud trying to channel angst as Audrey. Tired of nepo babies on broadway.

We were able to return our tickets. No more buying in advance to shows that stunt cast. Managed to get great seats to The Thanksgiving Play instead.