pixeltracker

Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max

Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#1Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/9/21 at 12:37pm

Has anyone been keeping up with the new GG reboot on HBO Max? Episode 3 entitled “Lies Wide Shut” has a heavy rotation of Broadway babies, including Jonathan Benjamin Hickey, Donna Murphy, and a cameo by Jeremy O’Harris. We are also introduced for the first time to one of the main characters other fathers, who can only be described as a complete caricature of Jordan Roth. “Dad” #2, played by Todd Almond, is the husband of JBH’s character, who plays a theatre producer on the show. “Dad” #2 enters the scene flipping his long locks and talking about his “blow out” and how he cannot sit because his over-the-top Alexander McQueen outfit will not allow him to do so. High-key shade from the creators over at GG! Simply savage.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#2Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/9/21 at 1:21pm

The best thing about that episode was that they filmed a number of scenes at the Public, and, specifically, inside the Anspacher. The show itself is pretty bad, but I do enjoy seeing the theatre people and the NYC locations. Tavi Gevinson, Adam Chanler-Berat, and Jason Gotay are series regulars as teachers, and Laura Benanti is also featured. 

From what I've seen on social media, a lot of people can't stand Tavi Gevinson in her role, but I think her over-expressive/goofy acting adds some much-needed levity to an otherwise too-serious show.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#3Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/21/21 at 12:26pm

Strangely, the fake Jeremy O. Harris play that was featured in episode 3 has been commissioned by The Public.

Jeremy O. Harris' Fictitious Play Featured on Gossip Girl Commissioned by The Public Theater | Playbill

PlayItAgain
#4Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/21/21 at 1:15pm

it is so bizzare to me that Tavi Gevinson is playing a teacher in this, she is the same age as some of the performers playing the students....

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#5Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/21/21 at 1:27pm

I can’t believe I didn’t realize that was Todd Almond until this thread! Who also has a lot of history with The Public having written the score to many of the Public Works musicals in collaboration with Lear DeBessonet.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#6Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/23/21 at 9:57pm

The reboot is pretty bad starting with the script. The acting is stilted and the directing is uninspired. The premise is rather silly. I can’t believe Laura Benanti signed up for it.

Updated On: 8/23/21 at 09:57 PM

SmoothLover
#7Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/23/21 at 10:20pm

And why do they all look older than high school students roaming freely through NYC to bars, clubs and bathhouses? The younger character  of the two lead female siblings is 14. She looks like she is in her 20’s.

Updated On: 8/23/21 at 10:20 PM

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#8Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/23/21 at 11:18pm

In keeping with the true spirit of the original show, where the high school students also freely roamed NYC bars and clubs nightly. The bathhouse was a ricoculous addition, which I wasn’t mad at. Obviously one can’t take this show too seriously, and I think the reboot is homaging its origins pretty well (which was never known for its stellar writing) - it’s Gossip Girl after all. xoxo

Updated On: 8/23/21 at 11:18 PM

SmoothLover
#9Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/23/21 at 11:39pm

The leap of faith one has to take I guess is that they are privileged children so they can get through doors usually reserved for the adult world. 

I have been critical about the show but I keep watching it so there must be some kind of hook. It probably has to do with an unapologetic sexy pansexual male character who lusts after a very sexy Jason Gotay. Will they or won’t they?

Updated On: 8/24/21 at 11:39 PM

SmoothLover
#10Jordan Roth shade on Gossip Girl HBO Max
Posted: 8/27/21 at 6:30am

Finished all 6 episodes. I actually think with some changes the series could be a sly commentary on social media. The dialogue needs to come from the characters and not out of them. I loved the fact it was so gay……

Videos