George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#201MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 9:28pm

Updated On: 5/4/22 at 09:28 PM

OffOnBwayHi
#202MJ Previews
Posted: 5/5/22 at 2:06am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "KevinKlawitter said: "The choreography looked as good as I would have expected from a show like this - I just wish the actual video hasn't been so over-edited."

I know –– if they were trying to showcase the choreography, this video is so horribly edited and doesn't let you actually see it.
"

I actually agree with these critiques. The video didn’t do it for me, but the show is AWESOME and I hope it entices more folks to go see. Cause in person… WHEW! Thrilling! Goosebumps!

Theater is just better in person…is just actually THEATER in person lol

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#203MJ Previews
Posted: 5/6/22 at 12:41pm

I agree, it can't really be translated on television all that well. Especially a show like this. It's doing well financially, as I thought it always would. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#204MJ Previews
Posted: 5/12/22 at 1:42pm

They're really trying to win this thing. The Jacksons attended the show's League Road Conference Tony Party last night.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#205MJ Previews
Posted: 5/12/22 at 1:53pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "They're really trying to win this thing. The Jacksons attended the show's League Road Conference Tony Party last night."

Considering nearly the entire Broadway community has given the production the cold shoulder and acted like it doesn't exist because of the Jackson estate's involvement...do they not realize this is the worst thing they could do?!?! The best thing they could do is put Lynn Nottage front and center, as her involvement is the only reason the production and everyone involved wasn't completely blacklisted. The more they promote their involvement with the show harder it is to separate the art from the artist, which will likely cause Christopher Wheeldon to loose his likely win for Choreography...especially when Camille A. Brown's win for For Colored Girls would be much more of a compelling story.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#206MJ Previews
Posted: 5/12/22 at 2:22pm

How much is the Broadway community ACTUALLY shunning the show, though? It got 10 Tony nominations, it is doing boffo box office, it has a whole mess of co-producers (League members), and it could play really well on the road and internationally.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes at this show, but I gather the "party line" is to lean into the following:

1) We're a hit.
2) Jackson's music is popular.
3) The voters are older, whiter, and less-woke than most of the rest of the theatre world. A lot of them won't care about the allegations when voting. Twitter "controversy" doesn't permeate beyond there, usually.

Updated On: 5/12/22 at 02:22 PM