The Ushers’ March

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#25The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/27/22 at 2:57am

At Lincoln center there was no March of the ushers. Just covid monitors with signs.

Stephen5
#26The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/27/22 at 2:57am

Fans are taking to social media to remember what many have called the greatest R&B album of all time. I noticed the same thing when I saw Company, and it's the only show where I've personally seen it done to that extent.
Usher eventually walked away because removing the man would mean disrupting the whole row of people. As an HSP, I know my concentration would be drawn away from the stage action by this at multiple points in the show. I’d eventually start to anticipate them coming and think about that rather than the show.
I sub at MJ as an usher sometimes and we do our very best with the rules we’re given. We give two warnings, then get covid safety monitor. Three gets security. Unfortunately, ushers are heldto the rules in place by higher ups so we do our best with what we’re allowed. 

Islander_fan
#27The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/27/22 at 4:45am

VotePeron said: "To clarify, I am 95% certain the people walking down the aisles every 15 minutes at Company are independently hired Covid Monitors and NOT Shubert house ushers. The producers of Company likely specially hired them, and that’s why other shows are not doing this."

I work Shubert FOH and that statement is not correct. The Shubert Organization created a specialized department just for Covid safety upon Broadway reopening. So, while the covid staff at The Jacobs (or any other Shubert theatre for that matter) are not ushers, they are not a contracted out third party either. This also helps with keeping track of when ushers need to get covid tested. I have always gotten an email reminder on my testing days. 

Interestingly enough though, When I recently saw Wicked last week as well as when I saw Caroline or Change I noticed that the covid staff there were all in the same uniform at both places. Seeing as they are both different companies lead me to believe that they are the same outsourced company. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#28The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/27/22 at 10:54am

HogansHero said: "The blame at MJ is properly directed at the Nederlanders. As with everything that happens in the theatre, it is no accident that this is being handled improperly."

Absolutely the fault of the Nederlanders for not overseeing any separate staff for Covid Monitors, and to their house management and/or customer service for not respecting the concerns for lack of obedience to the rules. Despite my misgivings about seeing MJ in general, I was starting to consider seeing it. But knowing they clearly don't care about monitoring masks, I'm definitely not going for a long while. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#29The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/27/22 at 12:10pm

Islander_fan said: "VotePeron said: "To clarify, I am 95% certain the people walking down the aisles every 15 minutes at Company are independently hired Covid Monitors and NOT Shubert house ushers. The producers of Company likely specially hired them, and that’s why other shows are not doing this."

I work Shubert FOH and that statement is not correct. The Shubert Organization created a specialized department just for Covid safety upon Broadway reopening. So, while the covid staff at The Jacobs (or any other Shubert theatre for that matter) arenotushers, they are not a contracted out third party either. This also helps with keeping track of when ushers need to get covid tested. I have always gotten an email reminder on my testing days.

Interestingly enough though, When I recently saw Wicked last week as well as when I saw Caroline or Change I noticed that the covid staff there were all in the same uniform at both places. Seeing as they are both different companies lead me to believe that they are the same outsourced company.
"

To be fair, all of my point still stands (besides the fact they are employed by the Shuberts) in they are not house ushers, and thus a production-specific element and not a feature at every single Shubert theater right now. 

Islander_fan
#30The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/27/22 at 4:42pm

VotePeron said: "Islander_fan said: "VotePeron said: "To clarify, I am 95% certain the people walking down the aisles every 15 minutes at Company are independently hired Covid Monitors and NOT Shubert house ushers. The producers of Company likely specially hired them, and that’s why other shows are not doing this."

I work Shubert FOH and that statement is not correct. The Shubert Organization created a specialized department just for Covid safety upon Broadway reopening. So, while the covid staff at The Jacobs (or any other Shubert theatre for that matter) arenotushers, they are not a contracted out third party either. This also helps with keeping track of when ushers need to get covid tested. I have always gotten an email reminder on my testing days.

"

To be fair, all of my point still stands (besides the fact they are employed by the Shuberts) in they are not house ushers, and thus a production-specific element and not a feature at every single Shubert theater right now.
"

I am genuinely confused. Are you saying that Covid safety staff is not at every Shubert house? If so that is far from the case. To put things in perspective, I did a shift over at The Lehman Trilogy. People had their masks off the entire time, and, since the bar was open people were eating and drinking the entire time. Now, I was fully vaccinated and even had covid in the early days of Delta. And, despite all that eve I felt uncomfortable with what is going on. I can assure you that during that, since Broadway reopened the covid safety staff at Shubert houses has been at every theatre in full force. 

For Shubert ushers, upon our return to work have been told that, if we feel comfortable going to a patron to remind them to keep their mask on and covering their nose, then go for it. If you’re not comfortable with it getting on the radio and radioing for a covid safety person is also ok. Hell, I can’t count the number of times where I spotted someone with their mask off during seating, the covid person didn’t catch it and had been rather thankful to know that I made sure the guy put his mask on. It’s really viewed as a team effort thing. The covid safety staff can’t catch everyone who is ignoring the rules. As I am sure we all know, even in the best of times, the number of those in the audience outnumbers is far greater than the number of hosue staff that is there.

sf2
#31The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/31/22 at 1:19pm

iluvtheatertrash said: "sf2 said: "I only wish that the ushers at "MJ" were doing this. I went last week and saw at least 25 people (yeah, I counted!) either not wearing a mask at all, or wearing it below their noses or chins. (And this was just a quick count of the people that I could see from my seat) Not once did any usher say or do anything about it, before or after the show, or at intermission. A fight broke out during the first act in the row behind me (I was sitting in the balcony) between a non-mask wearer and the very annoyed person sitting next to them. I spoke to the House Manager afterwards who said that it wasn't the usher's job to enforce mask wearing, and then told me that it was my fault for not bringing this to her attention sooner. Really? Nederlander customer service told me that they were "sorry" that I "felt unsafe." I felt unsafe because it was unsafe! It's really not acceptable."

I sub at MJ as an usher sometimes and we do our very best with the rules we’re given. We give two warnings, then get covid safety monitor. Three gets security. Unfortunately, ushers are held

to the rules in place by higher ups so we do our best with what we’re allowed.

I am however sorry someone told you it’s your fault. It isn’t.
"

I appreciate your efforts at "MJ,"  iluvtheatertrash.  Unfortunately the night I went, nobody did anything. Covid monitor?  There was one guy walking around with a sign telling people to wear their mask, but he never came up past Row F in the balcony. (I was sitting almost in the back row)  And he sure didn't say anything to anyone about their non-mask compliance.  People were even seated who weren't wearing a mask. I really don't understand why nothing was even said to anybody that night.  I'm been to a bunch of other shows before this and haven't had this problem.  It seems to be another instance of a policy being stated that is never followed up on or enforced, and it's only going to get worse.  After catching covid last spring and almost dying, I have much less tolerance for people who don't want to be inconvenienced and do their part by wearing a mask. 

Up until this, the worst experience I ever had in a NYC Theater was at City Center when I saw the person next to me jacking off, and the usher didn't even want to re-seat me.   But at least that didn't have the potential of killing me, just grossing me out. 

JCount
Updated On: 1/31/22 at 01:19 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#32The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/31/22 at 1:23pm

Maybe people in the orchestra were getting more reminders? Perhaps people who paid the least cannot be bothered to put on a mask? Lame. Everyone was masked when I saw MJ, no exceptions. I was third row Center. 

And Im sorry that you were next a stranger in a theater that was masturbating. That is absolutely horrifying. 

sf2
#33The Ushers’ March
Posted: 1/31/22 at 1:26pm

Sutton Ross said: "Maybe people in the orchestra were getting more reminders? Perhaps people who paid the least cannot be bothered to put on a mask? Lame. Everyone was masked when I saw MJ, no exceptions. I was third row Center.

And Im sorry that you were next a stranger in a theater that was masturbating. That is absolutely horrifying.
"

Thanks, and yes, it was really disgusting.  I wound up re-seating myself in a seat that was less expensive than what I paid for.  But there was no way I was sitting next to that person for the whole show!  (which had no intermission)   

JCount
Updated On: 1/31/22 at 01:26 PM