pixeltracker

A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center

A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 2/15/22 at 1:26pm

Has anyone had a chance to check out this new musical?  The score is by Cinco Paul (who was the showrunner and songwriter of Schmigadoon) and the book is by Bekah Bruntstetter (a writer on This Is Us and the upcoming musical adaptation of The Notebook).

A.D. 16 follows the story of a teenaged Mary Magdalene as she falls in love with the carpenter's son next door... who happens to be a kid named Jesus.

The show features an original score inspired by 90s R&B, hip hop, and pop, and is directed by award-winning Broadway veteran Stephen Brackett, who staged the first productions of Be More Chill, The Lightning Thief and next heads to NYC for the Broadway production of A Strange Loop.

Reviews
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-Critics-Sound-Off-On-AD-16-At-Olney-Theater-Center-20220214

Photo
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photos-Get-A-First-Look-At-AD-16-At-Olney-Theater-Center-20220211

Ke3
#2A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 2/15/22 at 3:04pm

There were some demos on SoundCloud last year, but it seems like they got taken down. I'm assuming because it's getting this premiere.

charlie525600
#3A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 2/15/22 at 4:34pm

I saw it in previews. I thought the music was good fun, even if some of the lyrics were a bit clunky. The lead actress was phenomenal. Some of the book and plot was a bit cringey but I heard they made revisions. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 2/19/22 at 2:34am

I haven't seen it, but given the production photos, I wish they had gone a more modern route to it. I think that would have played into the humor. A modern day teen-angst type of setting but it's Mary and Jesus. 

DCDrama2
#5A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 2/26/22 at 12:16am

The cast really gives it their all and they're pretty dang good. The singing was solid and the performances were delivered very well.

Other than that, this was the worst thing I've ever seen. Cliche superficial writing, bad jokes with no subtlety, generic music that is catchy only in a formulaic way, and stifled basic choreography. If a team of high school kids had put this together I'd say they did alright. For a creative team with resumes like the ones here, I'm shocked that this is the best they could do.

Plenty of people in the audience were enjoying it. I couldn't tell you why though. Unlike a bad show that misses the mark, this one misses reality. The note from the artistic director on page 1 of the program literally starts with "Once in a very great while, a new musical comes along that promises to heal a fractured world. A.D. 16 is that new musical, and we need it now." That was my first clue this show was in an alternate reality and that instinct bared out during the excruciating 2+ hours.

I repeatedly wondered to myself "what is this?" during the strange mishmash of musical styles, tropes, generalizations, obtuse moral messaging, and uninspired creative choices. I still don't have an answer, and I don't think I really need one. Like a bad bite of food, I just need to cleanse my palate with something else and move on.

rfksansiro
#6A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 3/11/22 at 1:12pm

Olney Theater announces the show will be available to stream from 3/16-3/20

https://www.olneytheatre.org/whats-playing/ad-16-remote

Finch
#7A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 3/11/22 at 6:13pm

I saw it last Thursday 3-3-22 and it was great.  Funny, slick, entertaining, and --at times--a little bit blasphemous. Somehow, I felt I was seeing a show that would be great in rep with "Mormon."

For the $45 streaming charge it is well worth it.

This is my first in-person play since Hadestown, Moulin and Tina 25 months ago.  It is a great way to go back to the live theatre world and truly enjoy it!!!!!!!

DCNY
#8A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 3/12/22 at 8:34am

I loved it. I'm not quick to laugh and I think the show is so innovative, smart, witty, fantastically performed, and more. Great reviews including one in the Post. 

I saw it on the first night of its previews. The artistic director was welcoming of input and I shared some detailed thoughts: I’m so glad their run is extended. I’m going to try to go back to see if any of my suggested tweaks made it in and I’ve been encouraging my family and friends to go see it. 

if you’re in the region, you have to go. If not, it’s definitely worth the stream and hopefully it will make it to New York. It’s definitely worthy.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9A.D. 16 Musical at the Olney Center
Posted: 3/12/22 at 9:49am

RippedMan said: "I haven't seen it, but given the production photos, I wish they had gone a more modern route to it. I think that would have played into the humor. A modern day teen-angst type of setting but it's Mary and Jesus."

Wait, the music is described as: 90s R&B, hip hop, and pop but it's not contemporary costumes?  Is it biblical?   

The premise sounds cute,  but when most of the reviews (esp the positive ones) are from newbies or those that rarely post here, it becomes suspect.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.