pixeltracker

Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?

Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#0Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 5:52pm

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060745908/qid=1076280870//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl14/104-7963902-4748708?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Anyone know anything about what this is? I think it's the novel along with pictures of the show, but I'm not sure. I think it would be a cool idea. I want to order one, but I'd like to know what it is first-hehe.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 5:54pm

That would be fun if it had pictures from the show in it! Either way, definitely read the book. I read it before i saw the show and it's VERY different, but one of the best books i've read in a very long time. I highly recommend it.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#2re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 6:00pm

My guess- It has commentary from the director, composer, and playwright of Wicked and how they took this novel and molded it into a musical. Pictures- perhaps one or two.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

Broadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
#3re: re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 6:06pm

Did you just stumble across this or hear about it from somewhere? Very cool- I'm interested to see what it is!

Call it a regime change...

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#4re: re: re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 6:28pm

Well, for my birthday this past Thursday I got an amazon gift card, so I typed in Wicked the musical in the "All Product Search" hoping that there would be a book about the making of the musical, like with Aida, or the Producers, but I found this. When I enlarged it on WordPerfect, I read the top- it says "The Novel that inspired the Broadway musical". I think it's just the novel with pictures.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#5re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 6:37pm

I know where I'll be on March 2nd!!

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

beacon1
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 6:41pm

Did you like the book better than the play? My friend just finished reading it and is going to loan it to me. She was very astounded that it was being performed on Broadway and wondered what things had been changed.

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

Qfan Profile Photo
Qfan
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 8:09pm

the tie in book i have a feeling is just a differwent cover the book itself is 448 pages (checked myself on my copy)

"Look on the Bright Side Not on the Blackside get off your backside shine those shoes! This is your golden opportunity: Your the lightning and the news!" -Assassins

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 8:15pm

beacon, it's not really a matter of liking one better... they're very, very different so it's hard to compare. i adored both. the book has much more depth (as much as I loved the show). It has a lot of much more serious political undertones. It's also much more about Elphaba (whereas the musical focuses on Elphaba and Glinda's friendship) and the character of Fiyero is almost completely changed in the show. Most definitely worth a read. Very enjoyable.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Broadwaylilhead Profile Photo
Broadwaylilhead
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 8:19pm

It's not very different than when a novel is turned into a feature film. Liberties are taken to turn the story into something compelling for live action. A novel can delve deeper into characterization, setting, etc...

The fact that Maguire loves the stage translation of his book says a lot.. many times, author's HATE the way their stories are bastardized for stage or screen.

Call it a regime change...

#10Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 11:27pm

The book is bloody brilliant!
I have to say that I wish I had a synosis of the show. I heard that the show has a lot of twists and turns but I would like to see the changes.

ghostlight
#11re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/8/04 at 11:45pm

I discovered this book about 2 years ago and devoured it. I am now reading it for the third time after having seen the play. It is a brilliant book with so much "stuff" in there. As I am reading it again I am still discovering new things I'd missed before. Honestly, I am always one to poo poo translations of books to movies/stage. But not this time. I love the book for the book and I love the musical equally - for its own take on the story which is (as been discussed many many times...), very very different. My advice to all - enjoy the book, enjoy the musical - quit trying to compare the two.

#12re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/9/04 at 12:00am

They did the same thing with Jane Eyre, I think Qfan is right.

#13re: re: re: Wicked Book- Musical Tie in Edition?
Posted: 2/9/04 at 12:46am

Like when a film is released based on the book, they usually re-release the book with the movie poster on the cover.
This is the same deal. But I like that they're using the Broadway logo for the re-release!
DT