A Strange Loop or Hadestown?

icb7
#1A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 5:16pm

Hi! I have a question. I'm visiting NYC for a few days and I already have tickets for Hadestown (among other shows), but honestly, it doesn't appeal to me that much. I think I'd rather go see A Strange Loop. Would that be wise? Or is Hadestown that good? 

I also feel like Hadestown might be around for a little longer and I'll probably be able to see it on another trip to NYC, but I don't know if the same can be said of A Strange Loop. Should I return my tickets for Hadestown and go to A Strange Loop instead?

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 5:21pm

A Strange Loop, no question.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 5:27pm

Hadestown. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#4A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 5:28pm

Without a doubt, Hadestown. It is a masterpiece. 

forfivemoreminutes
#5A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 5:31pm

icb7 said: "Hi! I have a question. I'm visiting NYC for a few days and I already have tickets for Hadestown (among other shows), but honestly, it doesn't appeal to me that much. I think I'd rather go see A Strange Loop. Would that be wise? Or is Hadestown that good?

I also feel like Hadestown might be around for a little longer and I'll probably be able to see it on another trip to NYC, but I don't know if the same can be said of A Strange Loop. Should I return my tickets for Hadestown and go to A Strange Loop instead?
"

As someone who enjoyed both Hadestown and A Strange Loop, if you think A Strange Loop appeals to you more than Hadestown, I'd recommend seeing A Strange Loop. A Strange Loop is the kind of show you might not have ever seen before and might never see again (there isn't anything like it on Broadway right now), and Hadestown is much more commercially accessible - there's a national tour running, plus it's likely to be on Broadway for a long time. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#6A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 5:35pm

A Strange Loop, no doubt. heart

Updated On: 4/27/22 at 05:35 PM

Rakesh Natarajan
#7A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 6:18pm

When would you be seeing Hadestown? A Strange Loop and Hadestown are two of my top-five musicals and honestly, you can't go wrong either way.

If you are seeing Hadestown before Andre De Shields leaves (May 29th), then I would recommend Hadestown. De Shields is absolutely phenomenal in that role and carries an insane amount of stage presence. His decades of experience as an actor are on perfect display in this role. I've seen the show on Broadway and on tour. As great as Levi Kreis was as the touring Hermes, Andre's performance is truly one of a kind. There's a very good reason why he won the Tony, Outer Critics Circle, and Drama Desk awards.

Having said that, you're definitely right about having more chances to see Hadestown in the future.  A Strange Loop will probably close before Hadestown on Broadway. Hadestown is touring right now and the tour will probably continue for a long time (confirmed to be on the road next season). There's a pretty likely chance that A Strange Loop won't tour; if it does tour, it'll probably be on the road for a year at most. 

Updated On: 4/27/22 at 06:18 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 6:24pm

Don’t see Hadestown without de Shields and Page. With Gray out of the Broadway cast, those two are currently the best parts of the entire show. 

Both of these shows, however, will soon be Best Musical winners. Needless to say, A Strange Loop is a hilarious, challenging, and provocative game-changer, and I have no doubt it will do well on tour after a respectable Broadway run. Don’t miss it with the entire OBC. 

Advantage, A Strange Loop.

Oh look, a bibu!

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#9A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 6:25pm

The current cast and production of A Strange Loop is so special. That's what I would pick.

stlrod
#10A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 6:43pm

Tell us what the other shows are?  Maybe we can all agree. I dropped Funny Girl to move Into the Woods into its spot and then traded  The Minutes for A Strange Loop.  I love Hadestown and if I had a spot left I'd see it again.

Updated On: 4/27/22 at 06:43 PM

icb7
#11A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 6:52pm

Rakesh Natarajan said: "When would you be seeing Hadestown? A Strange Loop and Hadestown are two of my top-five musicals and honestly, you can't go wrong either way.

If you are seeing Hadestown before Andre De Shields leaves (May 29th), then I would recommend Hadestown. De Shields is absolutely phenomenal in that role and carries an insane amount of stage presence. His decades of experience as an actor are on perfect display in this role. I've seen the show on Broadway and on tour. As great as Levi Kreis was as the touring Hermes, Andre's performance is truly one of a kind. There's a very good reason why he won the Tony, Outer Critics Circle, and Drama Desk awards.

Having said that, you're definitely right about having more chances to see Hadestown in the future. A Strange Loop will probably close before Hadestown on Broadway. Hadestown is touring right now and the tour will probably continue for a long time (confirmed to be on the road next season). There's a pretty likely chance that A Strange Loop won't tour; if it does tour, it'll probably be on the road for a year at most.
"

I will be going on May 11th. It’s a Wednesday matinee, so I don’t know if that could hurt my chances of seeing him. He’s kind of the only reason I’m still considering going to Hadestown.

Also, I felt the same way about Hamilton before seeing it, wasn’t really interested and I ended up LOVING it. So maybe this time the same could happen.

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#12A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 6:55pm

Wait, are Broadway tickets now refundable? I know there were some COVID refund stipulations, but can you now just get refunds on tickets no matter what the reason?

stlrod
#13A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 6:59pm

Matt Rogers said: "Wait, are Broadway tickets now refundable? I know there were some COVID refund stipulations, but can you now just get refunds on tickets no matter what the reason?"

No I've just generally found I can sell them for what I paid for them and sometimes even make a couple dollars.  (Might lose a bit on The Minutes though.)

ElephantLoveMedley
#14A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 7:01pm

icb7 said: "I will be going on May 11th. It’s a Wednesday matinee, so I don’t know if that could hurt my chances of seeing him. He’s kind of the only reason I’m still considering going to Hadestown.

Also, I felt the same way about Hamilton before seeing it, wasn’t really interested and I ended up LOVING it. So maybe this time the same could happen.
"

If you're going before May 29, then I definitely think you should see Hadestown. Andre's Tony Award-winning performance is a must-see. There is always a risk of missing him due to illness or injury, but he does not currently have any scheduled days off!

icb7
#15A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 7:03pm

stlrod said: "Tell us what the other shows are? Maybe we can all agree. I dropped Funny Girl to move Into the Woods into its spot and then traded The Minutes for A Strange Loop. I love Hadestown and if I had a spot left I'd see it again."

I’m going to Funny Girl, Hadestown, The Music Man, American Buffalo, Take Me Out, Company, The Minutes, Little Shop of Horrors, Birthday Candles, Cyrano, Macbeth and What the end will be. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 7:20pm

I went back to “Hadestown” a few weeks ago on a whim and was disappointed when I saw Andre was out but his understudy (I forget his name at the moment) was spectacular!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#17A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 7:27pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I went back to “Hadestown” a few weeks ago on a whim and was disappointed when I saw Andre was out but his understudy (I forget his name at the moment) was spectacular!"

Thanks, Jordy Boy. I feared that when de Shields leaves the cast, the show was going to lose some of its luster. Maybe that’s not the case after all…

Oh look, a bibu!

forfivemoreminutes
#18A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/27/22 at 7:48pm

icb7 said: "stlrod said: "Tell us what the other shows are? Maybe we can all agree. I dropped Funny Girl to move Into the Woods into its spot and then traded The Minutes for A Strange Loop. I love Hadestown and if I had a spot left I'd see it again."

I’m going to Funny Girl, Hadestown, The Music Man, American Buffalo, Take Me Out, Company, The Minutes, Little Shop of Horrors, Birthday Candles, Cyrano, Macbeth and What the end will be.

"

If I were you, I'd keep Hadestown and trade either Birthday Candles or The Minutes for A Strange Loop - I found both of those plays underwhelming. 

mxfish1313
#19A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/28/22 at 1:03am

icb7 said: "Rakesh Natarajan said: "When would you be seeing Hadestown? A Strange Loop and Hadestown are two of my top-five musicals and honestly, you can't go wrong either way.

Having said that, you're definitely right about having more chances to see Hadestown in the future. A Strange Loop will probably close before Hadestown on Broadway. Hadestown is touring right now and the tour will probably continue for a long time (confirmed to be on the road next season). There's a pretty likely chance that A Strange Loop won't tour; if it does tour, it'll probably be on the road for a year at most.
"

I will be going on May 11th. It’s a Wednesday matinee, so I don’t know if that could hurt my chances of seeing him. He’s kind of the only reason I’m still considering going to Hadestown.

"

I just saw Hadestown again this afternoon (so also a Wednesday matinee) and to my surprise Andre, Patrick, Reeve, Eva, and Jewelle were all in! What with covid, planned absences, and it being a matinee I was convinced I’d be seeing a whole slew of new faces (after seeing the original cast back in 2019) but I’m not gonna complain about getting another lovely experience with these folks before they move on. 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#20A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/28/22 at 11:31am

Regarding Hadestown. Looking at tickets. Am I better off Orch Left or Orch Right. Have the option of H 2-4 and H 1-3.

Thanks. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

OffOnBwayHi
#21A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/28/22 at 11:47am

Trust me on this: Go see 'A Strange Loop.'

'Hadestown' is absolutely awesome, but it is a proven hit that has already received its accolades. As someone who seems to be from out of town, with 'A Strange Loop' you will have the lucky opportunity to see an important musical with the original cast. In addition, it has widely been inaccessible to most of the country, and we still don't know if it will tour. Neither of those things are true about 'Hadestown.'

Also, assuming you're in town now, 'A Strange Loop' will give you the uniquely New Yorker experience of seeing something before the Tony noms and wins, which it will most definitely get. (I believe top honors.)

And because of the nature/content of the show, who knows how long it will run on Broadway. (I hope a very long time, but realistically, I'm thinking it won't.)

I made my case. lol You can't lose with either, but I think you gain more right now with 'A Strange Loop.'

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

icb7
#22A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/28/22 at 11:54am

OffOnBwayHi said: "Trust me on this: Go see 'A Strange Loop.'

'Hadestown' is absolutely awesome, but it is a proven hit that has already received its accolades. As someone who seems to be from out of town, with 'A Strange Loop' you will have the lucky opportunity to see an important musical with the original cast. In addition, it has widely been inaccessible to most of the country, and we still don't know if it will tour. Neither of those things are true about 'Hadestown.'

Also, assuming you're in town now, 'A Strange Loop' will give you the uniquely New Yorker experience of seeing something before the Tony noms and wins, which it will most definitely get. (I believe top honors.)

And because of the nature/content of the show, who knows how long it will run on Broadway. (I hope a very long time, but realistically, I'm thinking it won't.)

I made my case. lol You can't lose with either, but I think you gain more right now with 'A Strange Loop.'

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
"

Thank you! Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, I'm from out of town. Very out of town. Peru, to be precise. I was still on the fence and with this post, I finally decided to go see A Strange Loop.

Thanks, everyone!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#23A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/28/22 at 11:57am

Huss417 said: "Regarding Hadestown. Looking at tickets. Am I better off Orch Left or Orch Right. Have the option of H 2-4 and H 1-3.

Thanks. :)
"

Since both of those on the aisle, it won't make any real difference.  Enjoy.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TheaterMe
#24A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/28/22 at 1:08pm

Matt Rogers said: "Wait, are Broadway tickets now refundable? I know there were some COVID refund stipulations, but can you now just get refunds on tickets no matter what the reason?"

I have had great luck in last few days exchanging and refunding tickets purchased on telecharge.  This is a wonderful thing for those of us who like flexibility when planning our NYC trips.

TheaterMe
#25A Strange Loop or Hadestown?
Posted: 4/28/22 at 1:11pm

TheaterMe said: "Matt Rogers said: "Wait, are Broadway tickets now refundable? I know there were some COVID refund stipulations, but can you now just get refunds on tickets no matter what the reason?"

I have had great luck in last few days exchanging and refunding tickets purchased on telecharge. This is a wonderful thing for those of us who like flexibility when planning our NYC trips.
"

Well isn't that interesting.  As of today, none of my tickets are now refundable or exchangeable on telecharge.  They were  earlier this week.