Show choice help

amiyagi
#1Show choice help
Posted: 5/2/22 at 11:38am

In New York this week, need some help deciding on shows. I've got 3 spots open and need to decide between 4 shows. Beetlejuice, The Minutes, Paradise Square and POTUS. 

I've already got tickets for/have seen Little Shop, Suffs, Six, Music Man, Strange Loop, Into the Woods and Bedwetter. Long-time theatre goer so I've seen the long running shows like CFA, Wicked etc. 

OceansJenny Profile Photo
OceansJenny
#2Show choice help
Posted: 5/3/22 at 8:47am

Tough choice! Two are dramas and two are comedies. Which of the two would you rather cut?

People are coming back from POTUS saying it’s hilarious. Beetlejuice is just an all around fun time. The Minutes has ranked lower on some lists but have left others profoundly pondering. Paradise Square is enjoyable and has its moments but is a bit all over the place.

Not sure when you’ll be back next but all 4 may not be around next season. Beetlejuice is touring so there may be a chance for you there.

Personally I would coin toss cutting The Minutes or Paradise Square, or pick based on whether you want to see a play or a musical more. If you would rather cut a comedy Beetlejuice may be the cut (I say with great sadness - I’ve seen it twice and love it!).

Enjoy your visit!

Edit: Apologies, I haven’t seen The Minutes and it looks like it’s billing itself also as a comedy. My mistake!

Updated On: 5/3/22 at 08:47 AM

OffOnBwayHi
#3Show choice help
Posted: 5/3/22 at 9:50am

Easy.

The Minutes

POTUS

Paradise Square

I haven’t seen Paradise Square myself and have heard interesting things, but I choose it because it’s a show that will be considered for the Tony race. Why not see as many possible Tony contenders as you can this trip? It’s the perfect time and you’ll have better context around the noms and winners. That’s fun in itself.

Beetlejuice might be around for a minute and might even tour. You can catch that one later.

lachri5
#4Show choice help
Posted: 5/3/22 at 9:55am

If you're struggling with which one to give up, I would say Beetlejuice. If you're looking for shows to fill the time slots, have you considered Cyrano at BAM, Oratorio for Living Things and Harmony?

blueshadows
#5Show choice help
Posted: 5/3/22 at 1:40pm

I would also strongly recommend seeing Cyrano de Bergerac at the Brooklyn Academy of music. It’s one of the best things I’ve ever seen on stage, led by the marvellous James McAvoy.

i haven’t seen much shows since the pandemic so can’t really give my opinion on the 4 shows you’ve listed. Have you seen Hadestown? It’s not new of this season, but it was one of the newer shows right before the pandemic. If you haven’t, I would recommend that too and Andre De Shields would have his final performance soon, so catching him before he leaves would be great.

anyway good luck, hope you have a great time!

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#6Show choice help
Posted: 5/3/22 at 10:37pm

definitely see BEETLEJUICE for Alex Brightman's performance.   

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#7Show choice help
Posted: 5/4/22 at 8:11am

The Minutes is great if you like getting hit over the head with "ripped from the headlines" material