pixeltracker

THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE Roundabout Benefit Reading 10/17

THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE Roundabout Benefit Reading 10/17

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE Roundabout Benefit Reading 10/17
Posted: 6/9/22 at 12:33pm

At American Airlines theatre, casting to be announced.

"The director and choreographer who dazzled audiences with their productions of She Loves Me and Kiss Me, Kate! team up again to helm one of their personal favorites, for one night only, and only at Roundabout.

Scott Ellis and Warren Carlyle’s reimagining is inspired by an actual New Orleans stop on the show’s premiere tour in 1880. In this rendition, with a new book by Rupert Holmes (The Mystery of Edwin Drood), and jazz-infused orchestrations and musical direction by renowned orchestrator Joseph Joubert (Caroline, or Change), Gilbert & Sullivan are staging the musical right in the heart of The Big Easy, home of the real-life Pirates of the Pontchartrain. With a mighty crew of NOLA’s unique actors and Mardi Gras musicians onboard, the result is a new sound, a fresh style, and the very model of a modern musical evening of swashbuckling, tongue-twisting, and romantic merry-making.

This partially staged reading is the first step in envisioning a revival production to bring the celebrated operetta to Broadway for the first time in over 40 years."

https://www.roundabouttheatre.org/get-tickets/2022-2023-season/pirates-of-penzance-benefit

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#2THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE Roundabout Benefit Reading 10/17
Posted: 8/26/22 at 7:06pm

Any cast ideas?!

nasty_khakis
#3THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE Roundabout Benefit Reading 10/17
Posted: 8/26/22 at 7:20pm

About a decade ago the Public (where the last revival started) did a concert of the Joe Papp production with Glenn Close, Jonathan Groff, Martin Short, Montego Glover, and Kevin Kline reprising his Pirate King. I was told this was 100% testing the waters for a revival the next Summer but despite being a huge hit never materialized. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#4THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE Roundabout Benefit Reading 10/17
Posted: 8/26/22 at 8:01pm

Jshan05 said: "Any cast ideas?!"

They did a private reading a few months ago with a cast that included David Hyde Pierce, Steven Pasquale, Andréa Burns, and Auli'i Cravalho.

There was a thread about it - I can even find it in the search function, but I'm having trouble linking to it because the board is being glitchy.

Anyway, I'd love if Cravalho came to Broadway!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#5THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE Roundabout Benefit Reading 10/17
Posted: 8/26/22 at 8:01pm

I don't remember if there was a thread on this already or if this was mentioned in a Funny Girl thread, but did someone mention Ramin Karimloo may be involved?