pixeltracker

Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???

Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???

DCS
#1Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???
Posted: 11/26/22 at 12:44am

Any inside information on a SLIH OBC? Just asking because of something odd I heard today on SiriusXM. Seth Rudestsky played a song from the show that wasn't either of the two already released promo tracks (Some Like It Hot or A Darker Shade of Blue). Seth played You Can't Have Me If You Don't Have Him sung by Christian Borle and J Harrison Ghee, which is the 2nd song in the show. Seth then made a comment about the show not yet being open, but already having music to play from it. That particular song isn't on the SLIH website or appears to have been officially released as of yet. Is this just another promo track that will be released officially shortly or is this a sneak preview of an upcoming OBC??? Just curious...

bk
#2Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???
Posted: 11/26/22 at 1:42am

DCS said: "Any inside information on a SLIH OBC? Just asking because of something odd I heard today on SiriusXM. Seth Rudestsky played a song from the show that wasn't either of the two already released promo tracks (Some Like It Hot or A Darker Shade of Blue). Seth played You Can't Have Me If You Don't Have Him sung by Christian Borle and J Harrison Ghee, which is the 2nd song in the show. Seth then made a comment about the show not yet being open, but already having music to play from it. That particular song isn't on the SLIH website or appears to have been officially released as of yet. Is this just another promo track that will be released officially shortly or is this a sneak preview of an upcoming OBC??? Just curious..."

With the players involved, I cannot imagine a scenario where a cast album wasn't part of the production budget. 

Kimbo
#3Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???
Posted: 11/26/22 at 6:52am

bk said: "DCS said: "Any inside information on a SLIH OBC? Just asking because of something odd I heard today on SiriusXM. Seth Rudestsky played a song from the show that wasn't either of the two already released promo tracks (Some Like It Hot or A Darker Shade of Blue). Seth played You Can't Have Me If You Don't Have Him sung by Christian Borle and J Harrison Ghee, which is the 2nd song in the show. Seth then made a comment about the show not yet being open, but already having music to play from it. That particular song isn't on the SLIH website or appears to have been officially released as of yet. Is this just another promo track that will be released officially shortly or is this a sneak preview of an upcoming OBC??? Just curious..."

With the players involved, I cannot imagine a scenario where a cast album wasn't part of the production budget.
"

I agree, but I’m not sure that was really OP’s question; more, I’m assuming, they’re wondering (as I am) whether anyone has inside knowledge, as leaked here about the new Funny Girl album weeks ago, about an album already having been recorded… whether so many promo tracks simply suggest a highly involved demo, and a full complete cast album won’t be recorded till a few weeks after opening and, per usual, won’t be out till months later in the late winter / early spring, or whether there might be a surprise full album drop just after opening night and in time for the holidays, officially announced like Funny Girl with only 1 or 2 day’s notice. 

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#4Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???
Posted: 11/26/22 at 9:39am

Correct, the promo tracks simply suggest a highly involved demo, and a full complete cast album won’t be recorded till a few weeks after opening and, per usual, won’t be out till months later in the late winter / early spring.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???
Posted: 11/26/22 at 10:50am

Sometimes cast albums are baked into the production budgets, otherwise that raise happens separately. There's no real rhyme or reason –– putting it in the capitalization can add another 5-6 figures to the budget, but also allows the investors to share in profits from the album (if any). A separate capitalization means the money can be raised by outside investors or a label or whatnot.

Either way, it's almost a certainty that a show of this pedigree will have a cast album recorded in studio.

Updated On: 11/26/22 at 10:50 AM

DCS
#6Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???
Posted: 11/26/22 at 11:57am

Kimbo said: "bk said: "DCS said: "Any inside information on a SLIH OBC? Just asking because of something odd I heard today on SiriusXM. Seth Rudestsky played a song from the show that wasn't either of the two already released promo tracks (Some Like It Hot or A Darker Shade of Blue). Seth played You Can't Have Me If You Don't Have Him sung by Christian Borle and J Harrison Ghee, which is the 2nd song in the show. Seth then made a comment about the show not yet being open, but already having music to play from it. That particular song isn't on the SLIH website or appears to have been officially released as of yet. Is this just another promo track that will be released officially shortly or is this a sneak preview of an upcoming OBC??? Just curious..."

"

I agree, but I’m not sure that was really OP’s question; more, I’m assuming, they’re wondering (as I am) whether anyone has inside knowledge, as leaked here about the new Funny Girl album weeks ago, about an album already having been recorded… whether so many promo tracks simply suggest a highly involved demo, and a full complete cast album won’t be recorded till a few weeks after opening and, per usual, won’t be out till months later in the late winter / early spring, or whether there might be a surprise full album drop just after opening night and in time for the holidays, officially announced like Funny Girl with only 1 or 2 day’s notice.
"

That's exactly my question. Normally when SiriusXM plays an exclusive track like that, there's all sorts of social media publicity about it urging people to tune in (as was done with the first 2 tracks released), but there's been nothing about this new track. Yes, it could simply be from a demo or a special promo recording the show did...I was just surprised to hear it on the radio with no fanfare at all and it made me wonder if they are going the Funny Girl route with having already recorded the OBC and will drop it to correspond with their opening night. It's also entirely possible that Seth screwed up and played a demo track that will end up being the next sampler track they release in the coming 2 weeks prior to opening. In any case, I agree with everyone that a show with this pedigree has a cast recording budgeted in as a line item and we will get one at some point.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#7Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???
Posted: 11/26/22 at 12:18pm

I don’t believe they have recorded an album yet and these are just promo tracks that were recorded after the 2021 workshop presentation. The last time I saw the show there were musical tweaks here and there that wouldn’t add up with an already recorded album.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#8Some Like It Hot Cast Recording???
Posted: 11/26/22 at 3:20pm

Well, the Original Broadway Cast Recording for HAIRSPRAY was recorded prior to the start of previews on Broadway (right after the Seattle tryout) and the CD was available on the show’s Broadway Opening Night.