pixeltracker

May you live in interesting times...

May you live in interesting times...

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#1May you live in interesting times...
Posted: 1/17/23 at 10:52pm

I'm watching a Sopranos episode that quotes the old phrase, "May you live in interesting times."  I recall hearing that phrase before, but I'm not sure where.  I think there was a play where a character dissects that phrase and why it's his favorite curse, but I cannot think of it, and I haven't found it in a Google search regardless of how many ways I word it.  Does it sound familiar to anyone here?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#2May you live in interesting times...
Posted: 1/18/23 at 6:59am

HRC quoted it in her autobiography, but it isn't an actual ancient Chinese curse.

CatLady3
#3May you live in interesting times...
Posted: 1/18/23 at 9:43am

James2 said: "I'm watching a Sopranos episode that quotes the old phrase, "May you live in interesting times." I recall hearing that phrase before, but I'm not sure where. I think there was a play where a character dissects that phrase and why it's his favorite curse, but I cannot think of it, and I haven't found it in a Google search regardless of how many ways I word it. Does it sound familiar to anyone here?"

I first encountered the phrase in an episode of White Collar. Do you watch that show? Lol

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#4May you live in interesting times...
Posted: 1/18/23 at 12:31pm

James2 said: "I'm watching a Sopranos episode that quotes the old phrase, "May you live in interesting times." I recall hearing that phrase before, but I'm not sure where. I think there was a play where a character dissects that phrase and why it's his favorite curse, but I cannot think of it, and I haven't found it in a Google search regardless of how many ways I word it. Does it sound familiar to anyone here?"

May you find your answers here....

Wikipedia entry on "May you live in interesting times"

SisterGeorge
#5May you live in interesting times...
Posted: 1/18/23 at 12:40pm

"May You Live in Interesting Times" was also the name of the 2019 Venice Biennale 58th International Art Exhibition, the first I ever attended, at the last one held before Covid shut everything down. Interesting times to say the least.

Sister George

Videos