News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

London- West End Help/Recommendations- Page 3

London- West End Help/Recommendations

theaterdarling
#50London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/6/23 at 5:26pm

Jarethan said: "I am in London as I type. Probably my best trip ever in terms of at least liking all but one of the shopws I have seen:

— Patriots *****. Tom Hollander and the actor who played Putin were spectacularly good. Play very entertaining and provocative....

For those who like to keep track of those stalwart British actors whose faces show up everywhere but whose names are more elusive, let me be helpful :) and add that "the actor who played Putin" is Will Keen -- who just recently won an Olivier for this part. Might be more widely known to US audiences as Father MacPhail in HIS DARK MATERIALS, as Michael Adeane in THE CROWN and as Cranmer in WOLF HALL among dozens of other appearances in Brit TV shows.

tagiunagi
#51London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/13/23 at 12:02pm

Does anyone have an insight into the rush policies in the west end? Are they similar to New York where you just show up when the BO opens? It seems based on the reviews from people here that Cabaret and Guys & Dolls are the shows to see. Do you know how easy it is to rush those shows? Or would you suggest todaytix or something else instead? I’m going mid-July.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

itsshowtime2
#52London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/13/23 at 12:32pm

Today Tix has rush tix for Guys and Dolls for their standing tickets. They also have a lottery for Cabaret, but it is difficult to win. To my knowledge you can't do box office rush for either show.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#53London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/13/23 at 12:58pm

tagiunagi said: "Does anyone have an insight into the rush policies in the west end? Are they similar to New York where you just show up when the BO opens? It seems based on the reviews from people here that Cabaret and Guys & Dolls are the shows to see. Do you know how easy it is to rush those shows? Or would you suggest todaytix or something else instead? I’m going mid-July."

In London, rush is often referred to at the Box Office as "Day Seats" and here is a handy guide which does use the term "Rush" as well  Day Seat Finder | Theatre Monkey

Updated On: 6/15/23 at 12:58 PM

tagiunagi
#54London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/14/23 at 6:24am

Thank you so much for the info! Is there a lotto/rush that you would say is one of the easier ones to get?

also, if I want to see Cabaret or Guys & Dolls it seems like I should get those tickets ahead of time. Any suggestions on which seats in those theaters to avoid? I’m not sure what the sight lines/raking situations are like for those theaters. 

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#55London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/14/23 at 7:40am

The theatremonkey website has seating charts - color coded for recommendations - and reports on sight linss/leg room for many theatres.

We tried the Cabaret lottery last year and then bit the bullet and bought two table tickets for a matinee which were discounted at the box office to 100 GBP. 

For Cabaret, the stage is in the center. There are floor tables (like at a Cabaret) on either side of the stage.  You used to be able to have dinner at those tables pre-show. We sat at a table on the "short side" which was excellent even though we were in the second row of tables. The only number where it was an impact was for the title number which was sung about 2/3 of the time to the other side of the theatre, but it still had an impact. Good reports of seating up in the dress circle on the larger side. For more, see:  https://www.theatremonkey.com/venues/playhouse-theatre  YMMV,but this production really hit me hard - I was physically shaking. 

Guys and Doll seating advice here: https://www.theatremonkey.com/venues/bridge-theatre

Updated On: 6/14/23 at 07:40 AM

tagiunagi
#56London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/14/23 at 8:25pm

Thank you so much! This is super helpful! 

tagiunagi
#57London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/17/23 at 10:29pm

Sorry to bother with one more question. Thanks for all of your help— I ended up getting a ticket to Cabaret. As I understand, the show time is at 2pm but the ticket says to arrive at 1pm. It specifically says “Please arrive as early and as close to your recommended time as you can.” Is there something that happens with the show at 1pm or is the 1pm just the time that the doors open? I’m not keen on the idea of just sitting around for an hour if nothing else is happening before the show. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#58London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/17/23 at 10:46pm

There’s a “pre-show” (some days, in my experience) but after all the times I’ve seen it, i get there around 20-25 mins before showtime and it’s fine. 

tagiunagi
#59London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/17/23 at 10:53pm

Perfect! Thank you!

Also, I just noticed the website says: “Due to the intimacy of this production, all visitors to the Kit Kat Club over the age of 18 must demonstrate documentation of a negative Lateral Flow or PCR test – including those who are fully vaccinated.” Do they check to see if people have a recent CoVID test?

Jordan Catalano
#60London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/17/23 at 10:57pm

Oh God no, that’s old. Nothing like that in place anymore. :)

tagiunagi
#61London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/17/23 at 10:58pm

Thank goodness!

I so appreciate all of your help! You’ve been so incredibly helpful. 

Jordan Catalano
#62London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/17/23 at 11:00pm

My pleasure! I hope you have a great time!

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#63London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/17/23 at 11:34pm

Jordan Catalano said: "There’s a “pre-show” (some days, in my experience) but after all the times I’ve seen it, i get there around 20-25 mins before showtime and it’s fine."

Can't speak to how the pre-show is now,  but last year, we entered though a side door - they placed a sticker over the phone camera - we went down a dimly hit hall - were given schnapps (this apparently no longer happens at each show) and there were some rooms where cast members wee getting dressed (all in character) - there were, as I recall, at least two different bars where you could purchase drinks (and also swag) and I think about half hour before the start of "the show", there were dancers on the gold bar and on an interior balcony above the bar. We entered the theatre space about fifteen minutes before "show time" and there were dancers on the stage - some who came in from the Gold Bar. Since we had one of the tables (where we were able to order a pretzel - after all, it is Berlin - there's more on the menu) the dancers were right in front of us. 30 minutes should be enough time to get the feel of the "Kit Kat Klub". 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#64London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/19/23 at 1:44am

Jordan - please check your Private Messages. Thanks. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#65London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/26/23 at 6:46am

Patriots - 22 June (before the aborted putsch) -got a 25 GBP "rush" seat through Today Tix (Box Office was not allowed to sell rush/day seats). The play was "meh" - a great performance by Tom Hollander - but the play itself didn't have a lot to say - and what t tried to say didn't seem justified. The "Putin" character changes on a dime with no indication that might happen. Indeed, all character motivations to me, were half-hearted and not supported. Characters said their motivations but those motivation were not supported by their actions - so I guess the author was saying everyone lies to themselves?  I spent much of Act One wishing Carly Churchill had written this play. Three Stars.

The Pillowman - 24 Evening -  Was really looking forward to this even with message board criticisms of Lily Allen's early performances. It was supposed to be a "great" play - regardless. We had seats in the back of the stalls, but a clear view. And .. I do not recommend this.   I just found it sick and to no purpose. We had a couple of people who found some of the sickest pieces hysterical and loudly laughed over the otherwise silent audience.  Whatever points the author wanted to make seemed, to me, obvious and simplistic - and made early in the play and then repeated multiple times. The lack of clarity in the setting - is this really a totalitarian fascist state or was the police offer just joking about how police are perceived (this is answered later in the show). Lily Allen had two notes - semi-hysterical most of the time and flat non-emotion as the narrator of the stories. Anyways, not recommended. But, your views may (and will) differ. One star

Jordan Catalano
#66London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/26/23 at 9:53am

I'm not seeing "Pillowman" until the end of the run but I find what you said interesting. I consider the play itself to be an absolute masterpiece so I'm so curious what it is about this particular production that fails the text so much, based on a lot of what I've read. 

yyys
#67London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/26/23 at 10:46am

any idea if Next to Normal will be any good? I'm not familiar with the music.

Jordan Catalano
#68London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/26/23 at 11:11am

No clue if this production will be good (I hope it is, I’m very much looking forward to it), but the musical is one of my personal modern day favorites. I think the run has completely sold out though, if you don’t have tickets yet. 

yyys
#69London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/26/23 at 11:23am

Thanks Jordan....was looking at the week I'm in London and it appears they released some tickets for one date 9/26.

Jordan Catalano said: "No clue if this production will be good (I hope it is, I’m very much looking forward to it), but the musical is one of my personal modern day favorites. I think the run has completely sold out though, if you don’t have tickets yet."

Jordan Catalano
#70London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/26/23 at 11:36am

I would definitely grab them, if you’re on the fence about going. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#71London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/27/23 at 6:40am

Jordan Catalano said: "I'm not seeing "Pillowman" until the end of the run but I find what you said interesting. I consider the play itself to be an absolute masterpiece so I'm so curious what it is about this particular production that fails the text so much, based on a lot of what I've read."

I guess you will see for yourself. This is the first time I've seen the play, so I can't compare it to prior stagings - although the two young ladies I was sitting next to said when they saw it 20 years ago, there were puppets and this production does not have puppets. Maybe the issue is how Lily Allen plays or was directed to play Katurian - but I had issues with the script itself.  I can see how a different characterization might change my view of the script - but I doubt it. This just wasn't for me. 

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#72London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/27/23 at 11:59am

FYI - since it appears there are several BWWers in London - I'm at Harry Potter on Wed 28 June (parts 1 and 2), Mincemeat on Friday evening 30 June and Motive & Cue on Sat evening 1 July.  If you're in the area, stop on by and I'll say hello. 

Contemplating squeezing in Crazy for You or Accidental Life of an Anarchist on Sat matinee. 

amiyagi
#73London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/30/23 at 10:46pm

Would've love some suggestions; plays or musicals! I'm in London the third week of September but with Aspects of Love closing early I've got an empty spot and no idea what to fill it with. I leave the day before Sunset Boulevard opens. 

I have tickets for Next to Normal (twice!), Operation Mincemeat, Crazy for You, Rebecca, Little Big Things, and Cabaret.

I've seen most of the long runners (Six, Hamilton, Mousetrap, Wicked etc.). 

Theatre Fan3
#74London- West End Help/Recommendations
Posted: 6/30/23 at 11:12pm

amiyagi said: "Would've love some suggestions; plays or musicals! I'm in London the third week of September but with Aspects of Love closing early I've got an empty spot and no idea what to fill it with. I leave the day before Sunset Boulevard opens.

I have tickets for Next to Normal (twice!), Operation Mincemeat, Crazy for You, Rebecca, Little Big Things, and Cabaret.

I've seen most of the long runners (Six, Hamilton, Mousetrap, Wicked etc.).
"

Might not be what you are interested in but I would highly recommend you giving some consideration to checking out the ABBA VOYAGE CONCERT.  I saw it twice the week I was in London and will definitely see it again the next time I get back over.  It is unlike anything you have ever seen and one can't fully describe what it is like ... it's something that you will understand once you've experienced it in person.  London is the only place you can see it at this time and will be several years before they build a replica of the arena anywhere else.  Definitely worth checking out!!

Videos