pixeltracker

Rush tickets right before a peformance?

Rush tickets right before a peformance?

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#1Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 3:19pm

Hi all!

I'm going to be in NYC for a week in July working remotely from the Bronx. I'd love to see some shows but would rather not pay crazy Broadway prices. Because I'm working I won't be able to leave before 5:30, so I wouldn't be able to get to Manhattan until around 6:30. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences recently rushing a show that late? Every time I've rushed a show before I've gotten there in the morning or early afternoon, so I'm not sure how likely this would be. 

I'm assuming KA would be a hard ticket due to the Tony win, but luckily I've already seen it. Similarly, I've seen NYNY and you couldn't pay me to go see that again. 

I would love to see Peter Pan Goes Wrong so if anyone has any experience with that let me know!

Updated On: 6/23/23 at 03:19 PM

JSquared2
#2Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 3:29pm

The answer is -- maybe?  Each show is going to be different.  To get an idea of what might be possible, you could check on Telecharge (or Ticketmaster depending on the show) late in the afternoon and see how much inventory is left.  The more empty seats, the better the chance of getting a deal.

hearthemsing22
#3Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 3:44pm

I think maybe it would help if you kept an eye on certain shows and their availability maybe a day before you want to see it, bring up the seats on their website and see whats available. There's not a lot of rush that you can do that close to showtime, but sometimes shows like &Juliet, Funny Girl, I'm not sure about others, but they have standing room if the show is sold out. I think Six might also? Otherwise I think they would sell last minute full priced tickets, rush is usually the first part of the day or before you could get to the theaters. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#4Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 4:23pm

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE typically has rush tickets available the day of the show at the box office, especially for evening performances. $45.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

yyys
#5Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 5:26pm

Most rush are gone several hours before show time, unless it's a show that's not really in demand, like Grey House...

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#6Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 6:58pm

You should definitely be able to snag digital rush.  All info is located here:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/srorush.cfm

sarahbrowneyes3
#7Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 9:53pm

I snagged a rush ticket at the box office for Peter Pan goes wrong 30 minutes before showtime when Neil Patrick Harris was in. Also got Some like it hot about an hour before on a Saturday night. No success for shows that are selling well, and it’s more likely to work when I just need a single ticket.

NYCtheaterguy
#8Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 11:15pm

I got a $35 rush seat to Grey House 5 minutes before curtain.  It was the left-most seat (M17) but perfectly fine.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#9Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/23/23 at 11:54pm

Getting SRO for HAMILTON tonight was, shockingly, super easy. I got there early (like 3:15) because I'm no fool, but nobody else rolled up until they set the barricades at 5:45.

Granted, for $40, the stand is a bit hard (though I had a small camping stool that helped A LOT), but it was actually worth the money.

Also, it seems the cancellation line and standing room line are the same line. To assure a chance at SRO, make sure you KNOW the performance is sold out of regular, non-resale tickets on Ticketmaster ahead of time. (I inquired yesterday and they said that today had been sold out for a while)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 6/23/23 at 11:54 PM

hearthemsing22
#10Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/26/23 at 9:25am

quizking101 said: "Getting SRO for HAMILTON tonight was, shockingly, super easy. I got there early (like 3:15) because I'm no fool, but nobody else rolled up until they set the barricades at 5:45.

Granted, for $40, the stand is a bit hard (though I had a small camping stool that helped A LOT), but it was actually worth the money.

Also, it seems the cancellation line and standing room line are the same line. To assure a chance at SRO, make sure you KNOW the performance is sold out of regular, non-resale tickets on Ticketmaster ahead of time. (I inquired yesterday and they said that today had been sold out for a while)
"

Whoa whoa whoa- $40 standing for Hamilton??? thats amazing!!! When was this? also-was this Broadway??

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#11Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/26/23 at 1:02pm

I actually have a report on this! This past Thursday I got standing room ($45) for Parade 10 minutes before curtain. A friend and I were in the city and I kept insisting on seeing it and we weren't sure between Parade or Chicago (I'd seen both, I just preferred Parade) and since our subway stop was closer to Parade, we got the tickets at that time. They had 4 left, and I had purchased 2, then the couple behind me got the last two. It's totally possible!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#12Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/26/23 at 1:27pm

hearthemsing22 said: "quizking101 said: "Getting SRO for HAMILTON tonight was, shockingly, super easy. I got there early (like 3:15) because I'm no fool, but nobody else rolled up until they set the barricades at 5:45.

"

Whoa whoa whoa- $40 standing for Hamilton??? thats amazing!!! When was this? also-was this Broadway??
"

Yes, it was Broadway. And it was Friday 6/23

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Pashacar
#13Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/27/23 at 11:35am

I do this all the time and it often works. If you have a half hour to play with you can even visit a few theaters and compare options. The one thing to be aware of is that lines get long in the 30m before curtain with the audience for that performance, so your options will be a bit more limited as box office staff will be focused on serving them.

Hopelesslydevoted24
#14Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/27/23 at 9:09pm

Seconding this message. It’s how I watch 90% of the shows I see. 

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#15Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 6/28/23 at 3:57pm

Pashacar said: "I do this all the time and it often works. If you have a half hour to play with you can even visit a few theaters and compare options. The one thingto be aware of is that lines get long in the 30m before curtain with the audience for that performance, so your options will be a bit more limited as box office staff will be focused on serving them."

That's great to hear! I'm not picky about what I see, so I figure there must be one or two shows that have tickets left to sell. 

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#16Rush tickets right before a peformance?
Posted: 7/1/23 at 1:31pm

I was picking up my tickets at "Here Lies Love" at 7:40pm last night (Friday) and the person in front of me and to the line left of me were both purchasing Rush tickets for that evening's show. So, for that show I think you would be in good hands. Just an example and another piece of hope to hang on to!

Good luck and enjoy!