Michael Gambon on stage

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#1Michael Gambon on stage
Posted: 9/28/23 at 4:52pm

Have any of you seen him?

I know he received a Tony nomination in the 1990s for David Hare's "Skylight", which he said was the most demanding role of career to that date. Not sure if he ever returned to New York, but I know he did countless of other shows and readings elsewhere.

RIP

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

pmensky
#2Michael Gambon on stage
Posted: 9/28/23 at 5:07pm

Yes, I saw him in Skylight in London in March of 1996. I remember him being wonderful, but can’t really remember many details about his performance. It’s sort of an intense two-hander about a breakup of a May/December romance with a brief scene with a young man who I believe was playing Gambon’s character’s son who visits his ex. 

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#3Michael Gambon on stage
Posted: 9/28/23 at 5:50pm

I saw him in what I think were his only two stage appearances in New York:  Skylight on Broadway in 1996 and All That Fall (Beckett), with Eileen Atkins, at 59E59 in 2013. Also saw him in The Unexpected Man (Yasmina Reza), also with Eileen Atkins, in London in 1998. (Alan Bates and Eileen Atkins were the cast when The Unexpected Man played at the Promenade off-Broadway in 2000; I’m still kicking myself for having missed that.)

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#4Michael Gambon on stage
Posted: 9/28/23 at 6:09pm

I saw him in All That Fall.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#5Michael Gambon on stage
Posted: 9/28/23 at 6:34pm

A screen version of Endgame is up on YouTube, for any Beckett fans. Starring Michael Gambon, directed by Conor McPherson.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

B212323
#6Michael Gambon on stage
Posted: 9/29/23 at 3:52pm

pmensky said: "Yes, I saw him in Skylight in London in March of 1996. I remember him being wonderful, but can’t really remember many details about his performance. It’s sort of an intense two-hander about a breakup of a May/December romance with a brief scene with a young man who I believe was playing Gambon’s character’s son who visits his ex."

I also saw this production and remember loving his performance but not many details. I also remember being annoyed he didn't win the Tony but it was a really competitive year. 

Videos