Are Hairspray rights available?

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#1Are Hairspray rights available?
Posted: 11/28/23 at 1:19pm

I was wondering if anyone knows anything regarding the current status of the rights for Hairspray?

I know of a couple local non-professional theatres that have not yet heard back regarding rather old applications submitted, and looking at MTI's site it seems all upcoming productions are at either high schools or outside of the U.S.

Does anyone know if the rights are currently unavailable for others due to the tour (or for another reason)?   

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?
Updated On: 11/28/23 at 01:19 PM

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#2Are Hairspray rights available?
Posted: 11/28/23 at 1:26pm

I believe most school/community licensing was halted due to some productions just straight up not following the script (like having the black ensemble in black shirts, or changing lyrics... yes this happens)

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

KevinKlawitter
#3Are Hairspray rights available?
Posted: 11/28/23 at 1:36pm

Sometimes when tours are being planned and/or ongoing rights can be limited due to proximity to tour locations.  Last year, for instance, my community theatre was planning on putting on Mamma Mia! but were disallowed because the new tour was being developed and they were considering a stop at the FargoDome, which is within 200 miles of us.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#4Are Hairspray rights available?
Posted: 11/28/23 at 2:56pm

MTI's Hairspray page says:
RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY. PROCESSING TIME FOR APPLICATIONS MAY EXCEED NORMAL WAIT TIMES. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#5Are Hairspray rights available?
Posted: 11/28/23 at 4:23pm

Thanks all! Reached out to MTI to inquire and while they couldn't really confirm anything for me the information they did provide seems to insinuate that no one (in the US outside of high schools seemingly) is getting it until this current tour is done.

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

Videos