News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of THE INTERESTINGS

Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of THE INTERESTINGS

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of THE INTERESTINGS
Posted: 2/2/24 at 9:01am

https://www.playbill.com/article/sara-bareilles-and-sarah-ruhl-teaming-up-for-stage-musical-of-the-interestings

Sara Bareilles is back for seconds! The Waitresscomposer-lyricist-star is teaming up with Pulitzer finalist playwright Sarah Ruhl for a new musical adaptation of Meg Wolitzer's 2013 bestseller The Interestings. More creative team and production details are to be announced. Matt Ross is producing.

Wolitzer's book centers on six teenagers who meet at summer camp in the 1970s and form a lifelong bond over dreams of leading creative, inspiring lives. Decades later, all six are living in New York City, navigating their professional and personal lives as they grow together and apart.

Updated On: 2/8/24 at 09:01 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#2Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/2/24 at 9:12am

This is a wonderful bit of news! Sara’s score for Waitress is one of my favorites, and uncommonly theatrical for a first-time musical composer. She clearly loves working in the theatre, so I’m excited to see how this pans out.

Also, libretto for the opera adaptation for Eurydice aside, is this Sarah Ruhl’s first book for a musical? I’ve always found her plays intriguing - if not always successful - but usually a little shaggy, so it’ll be interesting to see her adapt a preexisting work that isn’t, y’know, a Greek myth.

Hey, Zelda! Profile Photo
Hey, Zelda!
#3Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/2/24 at 9:46am

ColorTheHours048 said: "...is this Sarah Ruhl’s first book for a musical? I’ve always found her plays intriguing - if not always successful - but usually a little shaggy, so it’ll be interesting to see her adapt a preexisting work that isn’t, y’know, a Greek myth."

She was working with Elvis Costello on a musical version of A Face in the Crowd, but who knows the status on that one.

Alex Kulak2
#4Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/2/24 at 10:21am

Hey, Zelda! said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "...is this Sarah Ruhl’s first book for a musical? I’ve always found her plays intriguing - if not always successful - but usually a little shaggy, so it’ll be interesting to see her adapt a preexisting work that isn’t, y’know, a Greek myth."

She was working with Elvis Costello on a musical version ofA Face in the Crowd, but who knows the status on that one.
"

She also wrote book an lyrics for a musical based on her play Melancholy Play, with music by Todd Almond, but I've never heard anything from it.

I've been so excited for Bareilles' follow up to Waitress, so here's hoping we see something soon!

Hey, Zelda!
#5Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/2/24 at 10:41am

Alex Kulak2 said: "Hey, Zelda! said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "[Ruhl] also wrote book an lyrics for a musical based on her play Melancholy Play, with music by Todd Almond, but I've never heard anything from it."

I'd actually forgotten about that one--thanks for jogging my memory!

Laura Benanti and Todd Almond singing a selection from Melancholy Play

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/2/24 at 10:58am

Loved this book! And love her music. 

Alex Kulak2
#7Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/2/24 at 11:10am

Hey, Zelda! said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "Hey, Zelda! said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "[Ruhl] also wrote book an lyrics for a musical based on her playMelancholy Play, with music by Todd Almond, but I've never heard anything from it."

I'd actually forgotten about that one--thanks for jogging my memory!

Laura Benanti and Todd Almond singing a selection from Melancholy Play

"

Oh, I loved that. Ruhl's dialogue is so lyrical, it works really nicely when it's set to music.

SisterGeorge
#8Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/2/24 at 1:08pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "...Wolitzer's book centers on six teenagers who meet at summer camp in the 1970s and form a lifelong bond over dreams of leading creative, inspiring lives. Decades later, all six are living in New York City, navigating their professional and personal lives as they grow together and apart."

So are they going to tell the story this time in chronological order or moving backwards in time from present to past?

Sister George
Updated On: 2/2/24 at 01:08 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/2/24 at 1:13pm

It’s not written like that. It’s straightforward with some flashbacks/memories, if I remember correctly. 

Hey, Zelda!
#10Ruhl and Bareilles writing a musical adaptation of The Interestings
Posted: 2/8/24 at 3:17pm

Hey, Zelda! said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "...is this Sarah Ruhl’s first book for a musical? I’ve always found her plays intriguing - if not always successful - but usually a little shaggy, so it’ll be interesting to see her adapt a preexisting work that isn’t, y’know, a Greek myth."

She was working with Elvis Costello on a musical version of A Face in the Crowd, but who knows the status on that one.
"

We have a status: opening at the Young Vic in London this fall.

Videos