pixeltracker

CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect

CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#1CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect
Posted: 2/5/24 at 4:16am

If it's of interest to anyone. Perfect is playing Voltaire/Pangloss, with Lyndon Watts (Burr from HAMILTON) as Candide.

https://www.victorianopera.com.au/production/candide/

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#2CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect
Posted: 2/5/24 at 10:01am

For those who have followed the saga of Candide's various versions, the credits seem to indicate it's the 1989 "definitive version."

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect
Posted: 2/5/24 at 11:34am

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "For those who have followed the saga of Candide's various versions, the credits seem to indicate it's the 1989 "definitive version.""

Is that the so-called Hal Prince "opera house" version that later played Broadway?

Darko Tresnjak was supposed to direct a revival for Goodspeed in 2020, but it was canceled due to Covid and then never rescheduled. That combo sounds absolutely delightful. 

Updated On: 2/5/24 at 11:34 AM

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#4CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect
Posted: 2/5/24 at 1:51pm

Oh I wished that I lived back in Melbourne.

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#5CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect
Posted: 2/5/24 at 2:41pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Is that the so-called Hal Prince "opera house" version that later played Broadway?"

Nope, it's the version Bernstein recorded for Deutsche Grammophon in 1989, also known as the "Scottish Opera version" because that's where the "definitive version" sort of began. Details here, here, and here.

(Anybody experienced in the show's variations just finds it cute Bernstein thought he could slap a "definitive" label on any version.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 2/5/24 at 02:41 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect
Posted: 2/5/24 at 3:01pm

Thank you for that clarity! IIRC, Bernstein was none to thrilled with Hal's treatment of his beloved CANDIDE, so I guess it's not a shock that he'd want to call his version "definitive."

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#7CANDIDE in Australia with Eddie Perfect
Posted: 2/5/24 at 3:32pm

I recollect that he liked Hal's version well enough because it gave the show more of an afterlife than trying to patch together Lillian's without Lillian. Plot-wise, and spirit-wise, it got closer to what he wanted. He just hated that it wasn't the way he'd do the score.

(For me, as long as you cut some of the unnecessary over-narration, John Caird's book from 1999 is the comfortable middle -- enough bawdy humor for the Hal acolytes, enough music for the Lenny lovers, and enough Voltaire for the scholars.)

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Updated On: 2/5/24 at 03:32 PM