pixeltracker

Gun and Powder at Paper Mill- Page 2

Gun and Powder at Paper Mill

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#25Gun & Powder at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/29/24 at 8:24am

I hope it does go to Broadway, but it will surely flop.  The theatre was maybe half full?  After Midnight at Paper Mill canceled the last week of performance due to illness, people exchanged their tickets for Beautiful, they had no interest in seeing Gun and Powder, which is a shame. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#26Gun & Powder at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/29/24 at 9:46am

Broadway Flash said: "I hope it does go to Broadway, but it will surely flop. The theatre was maybe half full? After Midnight at Paper Mill canceled the last week of performance due to illness, people exchanged their tickets for Beautiful, they had no interest in seeing Gun and Powder, which is a shame."

That is not true…at all. They may have canceled a performance or two, but I was there the final weekend and they modified the show to remove and combine (albeit to the show’s detriment) some of the tracks. The show went on and they announced in advance it would be changed.

Male swings covered some female tracks and the Star Spot songs were eliminated

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27Gun & Powder at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/29/24 at 9:54am

Maybe this could go into the Booth? It has no names, so a smaller house would benefit them.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

singer234
#28Gun & Powder at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/29/24 at 11:55am

It is selling poorly at Paper Mill but it’s also in a house at least 1/3rd-two times too big for it. It’s also a ridiculously crowded spring on Broadway right now and I wonder if that factors in. Most people don’t have the time or money to see all the new shows on Broadway, let alone in New Jersey.

I could see this fitting well into the Booth or the Golden. But I really think a few well recorded tracks is the best path forward for this show. The music is its calling card. Not to mention, most of its competition will be closed by next year.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#29Gun & Powder at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/29/24 at 3:04pm

My performance was canceled and I know several were canceled. I was told they canceled the last week. Excuse me!

Miss10036 Profile Photo
Miss10036
#30Gun & Powder at Paper Mill
Posted: 5/5/24 at 2:36am

I finally went last night and found a lot to like here: a genuinely wonderful and varied score, vocals in spades, a standout performance from Ciara Renée, and a rich premise that centers the stories of two complex Black women and their experiences navigating their race, identities, and family dynamics.  I think the show does need work and I want to post more detailed thoughts on here later in case it has a future life, but its issues largely seem solvable.

This closes today and I know it’s not like anyone’s going to read this and say wow, a random person just posted on BWW that it’s worth checking out, I’m going to hop the train to Millburn this afternoon.  I’ll recommend it anyway.  This is an ambitious new musical with real promise.  It’s got good bones and enough strong elements that I imagine the team can get it there if they keep working at it.  I hope they do.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#31Gun & Powder at Paper Mill
Posted: 5/5/24 at 11:20am

Beowulf Boritt’s scenic design was very impressive. Just love his work.

If this show moves, I hope it keeps its stage curtain which I also loved.  See the first pic in this review. https://letsgotothetheater.com/gun-powder-is-an-outstanding-musical/.  That is the image that should have been on the T-Shirt.