pixeltracker

Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4

Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4

SFFrontRow
#1Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4
Posted: 6/13/24 at 9:08pm

I could not find any posts on this...

I saw Hell's Kitchen Saturday evening 6/8 and Maleah Joi Moon was not in. The understudy Jade Milan played Ali (and she was incredible).

I read later that Maleah Joi Moon was replaced early in the performance on Tuesday evening 6/4 - reports say she was either injured during the second number or she was sick and straining with her voice.

Understudies go on all the time, scheduled and not for whatever reason. But, since Maleah was out for several days I wondered if it had been reported. Does anyone know if she is okay? Back in the show? Performing at the Tony's?

Hope she is okay... Ms Milan was incredible and I also read that the other understudy Gianna Harris was awesome proving today's understudies could end up being tomorrow's new stars.

Updated On: 6/13/24 at 09:08 PM

SFFrontRow
#3Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4
Posted: 6/13/24 at 10:26pm

I found that on Reddit but wondered if there was any news reporting on this. Not common for a rising star on the cusp of possibly winning a Tony award dropping out mid-perforance and then being out for several days.

You would think Playbill or Broadway World or Theatermania would have reported this, or reporting a statement from the production.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#4Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4
Posted: 6/13/24 at 11:08pm

SFFrontRow said:
“You would think Playbill or Broadway World or Theatermania would have reported this, or reporting a statement from the production."

You are entitled to your board in the lobby and a paper slip in the Playbill - or a midshow announcement if they swing someone in

While I get that COVID was an exception, we aren’t owed any further explanation of why someone called out. To that end, when the public begins to comment and scrutinize actors who are missing shows for health issues, it actually creates an additional stress on them that they really don’t need.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

hearthemsing22
#5Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4
Posted: 6/14/24 at 8:14am

quizking101 said: "SFFrontRow said:
“You would think Playbill or Broadway World or Theatermania would have reported this, or reporting a statement from the production."

You are entitled to your board in the lobby and a paper slip in the Playbill - or a midshow announcement if they swing someone in

While I get that COVID was an exception, we aren’t owed any further explanation of why someone called out. To that end, when the public begins to comment and scrutinize actors who are missing shows for health issues, it actually creates an additional stress on them that they really don’t need.
"

Completely agreed quizking. Theater fans are so entitled that they think they need a play by play of everything when someone calls out. An announcement pre-show, or mid-show if a callout happens then a slip in the playbill. That's it. We are not owed anything else. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#6Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4
Posted: 6/14/24 at 8:40am

"I hope she's okay".  Why wouldn't you?  You do seem awfully interested in her health status and the news reporting of it.  Why?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#7Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4
Posted: 6/14/24 at 9:59am

FWIW I saw Gianna and thought she was fantastic! Any disappointment in not seeing Maleah was purely for Tony reasons if she were to win; from a performance perspective I didn’t feel like I missed a thing. 

Broadway61004
#8Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4
Posted: 6/14/24 at 10:48am

Mid-show changes are rare, but they happen. Years ago saw the tour of Les Mis and Eponine's at that time completely unknown understudy had to step in at Intermission. Years later looked back and realized the completely unknown understudy was Sutton Foster.

yyys
#9Maleah Joi Moon replaced during performance 6/4
Posted: 6/15/24 at 6:42pm

Maleah was in today's matinee 6.15 and also came out at stage door.

Latest Posts

Videos