sarah brightman in phantom

mh
#0sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:02pm

I read in a post further down somewhere that when Sarah Brightman was in Phantom on Broadway, there was some controversy regarding her performance or schedule or something. Can anybody enlighten me as to what all the fuss was about at that time ?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Ruffian
#1re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:03pm

I forget the schedule, I think she only sang the evening shows.

#2re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:10pm

The controversy involved Lloyyd Webber insisting that his then wife (Brightman) re create on broadway the role she originated in London. Equity felt she was not a star ( at the time) and the role should go to someone here. There was a big bruhaha and Webber insisted to Equity that he had written the role for her and the show would not got on without her. I saw her in it. She was awful. She sang it beautifully but she truly was awful and got blasted by most critics . Updated On: 4/13/04 at 01:10 PM

Ruffian
#3re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:12pm

She is no actress, but she has a beautiful singing voice

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#4re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:15pm

I think that is correct. She didn't do matinees.

I remember reading the NY Times review of her, stating that she was like "Minnie Mouse on quaaludes." A little harsh, if you ask me.

I also remember her performance being the one of the only things I liked about the original cast (Judy Kaye, sets, lighting, costumes were the others). I liked Sarah a lot more than I expected to. Nowadays, I can't stand her at all. That new-age, PBS junk sucks!

Another thing I remember about her performance, and I'm not sure if other Christines who followed in her place do the same thing, but during the part when the Phantom is saying "Siiiiing for me!" and she is singing way up in the stratosphere, her back was to the audience and it was VERY obvious that her notes were pre-recorded. I was in the front row, way on the side, and she wasn't even making an effort to look like she was lip-synching it. Like I said, I don't know if other Christines lip-sync that part as well. I can't imagine that they would.

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

emonkeygirl Profile Photo
emonkeygirl
#5re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:19pm

The last scary note is pre-recorded. Sometimes they sing, other times not. To sing that 8xs a week is death.

It's hot and it's monotonous. I want my glasses.

Ruffian
#6re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:21pm

Although she is no actress, I did enjoy her perf becuse of the voice. But now, all this talk is flooding me with the memories of the VERY first stab at Sarah that Forbiddan Broadway did...as she turns to the audience with the HUGE teeth

LMAO SO FUNNY Updated On: 4/13/04 at 01:21 PM

BoyWithTheBugle Profile Photo
BoyWithTheBugle
#7re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:23pm

I agree, she was not great. Not worth all the media attention that she got in coming over that is for sure.

It was the start of all of the London influx of performers that went on with Les Miz and Siagon casting that caused a big stir with Equity.

"sipping on a glass of cold chablis..."

emonkeygirl Profile Photo
emonkeygirl
#8re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:24pm

But you have to admit Jonathon Pryce was fabulously smarmy & gross as the unpolitically correct engineer...

It's hot and it's monotonous. I want my glasses.

Ruffian
#9re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:27pm

PRYCE WAS AS ALWAYS.....MAGNIFICANT

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#10re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:31pm

"It was the start of all of the London influx of performers that went on with Les Miz and Siagon casting that caused a big stir with Equity"

Les Miz opened before Phantom did, so Phantom certainly didn't "start" it.

And Les Miz wasn't originally going to have Frances Ruffelle as Eponine anyway, meaning that Colm Wilkinson was the only UK performer originally intended for the OBC. The actress originally cast as Eponine turned it down, and Frances had to be called to open on Broadway at the last minute.

jgph
#11re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:34pm

christines never perform 8 times a week. there is an alternate who performs twice a week.

JG

Ruffian
#12re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:40pm

Always a fuss over the Equity

I LOVE having the exchange

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#13re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 1:43pm

"christines never perform 8 times a week. there is an alternate who performs twice a week."

Dale Kristien performed 8 times a week -- but she was a rarity.

JP Profile Photo
JP
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 4:31pm

Wasn't there also a problem with Sarah's age at the time? She was underaged by US law?

WOSQ
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 4:52pm

Sarah's age was quite legal in 1988.

It is only when one does the math with what she owns up to now with the number of years ago Phantom began that she appears to have been some sort of pre-teen prodigy.

Common enough show biz arithmetic.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

#16re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 4:58pm

Wait wait wait.... Sarah Brightman did Phantom of the Opera!?

Ruffian
#17re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 5:05pm

It was ten million years ago, but yes, yes she did. She originated the role way back in the day

#18re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah brightman in phantom
Posted: 4/13/04 at 5:11pm

Apparently I didn't sharpen my tongue enough this morning.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#19re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah b
Posted: 4/13/04 at 5:18pm

The 'Minnie Mouse on quaaludes' line did not originate with Frank Rich or the NY Times.

I think it was in The Post.

Ruffian
#20re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: sarah b
Posted: 4/13/04 at 5:28pm

Apparently I'm just too tired ... sorry

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#21Actors' Equity/Brit performers
Posted: 4/13/04 at 9:04pm

Speaking of Actors' Equity problems for Brit performers, does anyone know what the rules are? I'm curious as to whether Maria Friedman would have difficulties coming to Broadway *if* Woman in White (which hasn't even opened yet in London) should transfer to NY *if* it is a success in London and *if* it is deemed a possibility for success in the US. She is appearing at the Cafe Carlyle, but I don't think she has ever performed on a Broadway stage.

My crystal ball is broken, but I am still looking ahead through the mists of time.

Plum
#22re: Actors' Equity/Brit performers
Posted: 4/14/04 at 12:13am

I think the English actor or actress in question has to have the star power to justify being cast in place of some American, or be otherwise 'irreplacable.'

I remember that Josephina Gabrielle finally made it to Broadway with the Nunn revival of Oklahoma since as a singing ballerina, she was supposedly sufficiently unique to be irreplacable.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#23re: re: Actors' Equity/Brit performers
Posted: 4/14/04 at 9:44am

Well if thats what they call singing - then she was ok...I thought her voice was awful. I know girls who can sing AND dance circles around her - but even at that - Oklahoma was a dreadful production.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

#24re: re: re: Actors' Equity/Brit performers
Posted: 4/14/04 at 12:19pm

Dale Kristen, the Christine in LA for four years was the ONLY Christine in the world allowed to perfom 8 shows a week if she wanted to! DI-VA!

Videos