pixeltracker

The Lion King on Broadway - #1 Again!

The Lion King on Broadway - #1 Again!

Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex Profile Photo
Alvin and My Sheepdog Rex
#0The Lion King on Broadway - #1 Again!
Posted: 5/20/03 at 10:40pm

I am a big fan of The Lion King but its ability to maintain its #1 ranking on Broadway for gross dollar sales for attendance consistently each week impresses even me. This week it's #1 again at $1,112,000 and over 100% capacity. The other fan favorites The Producers, Hairspray, and Mamma Mia usually settle in about 10% behind. With it's appeal across generational lines and of course Disney marketing, someday when I am getting ready to take my future grandkids to see it, The Lion King will become the longest running musical in Broadway history. But before that day, I do think Cats record will fall and will be eclipsed once or twice.

With Les Miserables now out of the running who will break the longevity record next?

My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.

KB
#1Phantom next year I think?
Posted: 5/20/03 at 10:51pm

KB

#2Phantom began on Broadway in 1988
Posted: 5/21/03 at 4:11am

I was just reading that Phantom of the Opera started on Broadway on January 9,1988. So that put it at 15+ years at this time and I believe Cats ended at after 17+ years.

My perfect day would begin at on the beach in Hana, Maui and end at a Broadway Musical.

#3Beauty and the Beast
Posted: 5/21/03 at 11:46am

Another future contender down the road could conceivably be Beauty and the Beast. Disney's web site says it is currently #7 on the all time list of longest running shows on Broadway. It began in April of 1994, so it is currently 9 years plus. However, my guess is that it might not have the staying power of Phantom or eventually The Lion King.

MlleDaae Profile Photo
MlleDaae
#4Phantom is second in Line...
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:11pm

...with cats at #1. Yes, phantom is to be the next #1!!! I do believe it will continue on. Les Mis was good but too long and hard to follow for most people. Phantom is a love story and easy to follow and still has on-going phans. More of a cult musical than Les Mis was. Of course I did love Les Mis.

"You are young. Life has been kind to you ...You will learn."
Updated On: 7/12/19 at 12:11 PM

AndrewClay
#5Phantom
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:20pm

I think that they will push to keep it open till it becomes number one. Ticket sales haven't been that much better for it than Les Mis was I don't think?

Andrew

#6Phantom going for the record!
Posted: 5/21/03 at 12:50pm

I agree Phantom will definitely shoot for the record. However, as with all shows towards the end of their runs you hope the interest level remains high as far as attendence goes, so it doesn't appear they're limping across the finsh line. It's a great show and deserving of the recognition.

AnotherTheatreFag
#7I hate that you have to enter a subject any time. Maybe it's just me...
Posted: 5/21/03 at 5:36pm

Phantom has to run for 2 years, 8 months more to break "Cats" record. But only about 37 more weeks (about 9 months) to beat "Les Miz" for the #2 spot. Updated On: 5/21/03 at 05:36 PM

#8Thanks for Info. ATF
Posted: 5/21/03 at 5:51pm

ATF,

Thanks for the specifics on Le Mis & Phantom.

As for the subject line, I also found it awkward the first few times I posted. However, now I've learned to rely on it because it enables one to more clearly change the direction of a thread subject if you wish. As was the case here starting with Lion King stats and evolving into the Longevity record. But if you don't want to deal with it just plug in a single letter or a period on the line and it's done.

Updated On: 5/21/03 at 05:51 PM

CourtneyM Profile Photo
CourtneyM
#9tickets to lion king
Posted: 5/21/03 at 6:03pm

i was checking the other day for tickets to the lion king just to see if they had any but it is sold out for months! is it always this hard to get tickets to it?

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art-Oscar Wilde

#10I don't see
Posted: 5/21/03 at 6:16pm

I saw the Lion King in LA, it was good, dont get me wrong, but I don't see how it's still selling out on Broadway, it definitely isn't the best show that's there! hmmm, maybe it's the tourists who don't know much about theatre. I don't see

#11The Lion King Tickets are a Challenge to Obtain.
Posted: 5/21/03 at 6:30pm

Yes, tickets have been scarce since it opened on Broadway over 5 years ago. I have seen it 8 times in various cities and I believe only twice was I able to purchase acceptable seats through the Box Office or Ticketmaster. Other times, I purchased through eBay or a Broker. As a fan, I'm still surprised at the high demand.

You may wish to look at what's offered on eBay, there currently are 70+ auctions for The Lion King on Broadway.

To make it even more of a challenge, I strongly recommend getting Orchesrtra seats only. The inter-active nature of the performance lends itself to Orchestra seating.

Perhaps someone else can suggest an easier way, but myself I have always had to scramble to find tickets for The Lion King.

P.S. Importantly, I've always felt it was worth the effort.

AnotherTheatreFag
#12Orchestra Schmorchestra
Posted: 5/21/03 at 6:36pm

I saw "TLK" twice at the New Amsterdam Theatre, and thought it was a better view from the front row of the mezzanine than from the front orchestra.

Just my opinion, of course.

#13Seating Diversity
Posted: 5/21/03 at 6:42pm

It's good we all have different seating preferences otherwise the combat for that "one" best seat would be awful.

CourtneyM Profile Photo
CourtneyM
#14i agree
Posted: 5/21/03 at 6:43pm

i can't imagine why everyone wants to see it either but people think they are safe with disney shows.

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art-Oscar Wilde

Standing O Profile Photo
Standing O
#15You must be kidding. The Lion King is terrific.
Posted: 5/22/03 at 11:33am

You go to see the Lion King because is original and a wonderous theatrical event, not because it's Disney or for tourists. 5 years on top of Broadway demonstrates this. I've seen much of what Broadway has to offer via musicals and Lion King is one of two all time favorites. Go see it yourself, then love it or hate it, but not before you even see it.

Videos