Miss Saigon Casting

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#0Miss Saigon Casting
Posted: 5/28/04 at 2:59pm

Hm, well there's auditions for Miss Saigon soon, and I was wondering what the male voice parts were. One site describes the leads: Chris, John[?], and the Engineer as "pop tenors". Unfortunately I'm more of a classical baritone, so I'm just wondering if there are any overlooked parts.

I've never seen the show before, but I've listened to the CD and I think the musical is wonderful, especially Kim's songs. If the leads are all 'pop tenors' then I really don't think I should audition. I mean, I'd really rather not be in the ensemble.

Advice? Thoughts?

broadwayguy2
#1re: Miss Saigon Casting
Posted: 5/28/04 at 3:02pm

Matt Bogart has played Chris on Broadway and on tour.. and he has a very rich baritone...

JoizeyActor
#2re: Miss Saigon Casting
Posted: 5/28/04 at 3:05pm

Hm, unfortunately I'm not a very rich baritone yet. It's a teenage-cast show for a community theatre.

I've heard some of his songs, and they sit a little high for me right now.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#3re: Miss Saigon Casting
Posted: 5/28/04 at 3:22pm

not sure about this - but isn't the Engineer's stuff lower? I would imagine that it might be, but then again I am not so familiar with the show.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Stardust Profile Photo
Stardust
#4re: Miss Saigon Casting
Posted: 5/28/04 at 4:05pm

Will Chase, who played the role of Chris in the National Tour, in Manila and in the final Broadway cast is also a baritone...his voice is similar to that of Matt Bogart.

My advice is since you have the CD, sing along with it...can you hit the notes? If you can, then I think you should audition. I know that the audition notice says they want a "pop tenor" but I would interpret that as someone who can sing in the style of the music and who can hit all the notes. It can't hurt to try, right? And the ensemble actually has a lot of stuff to do, it could be very interesting. I know you said you really don't want to do ensemble work, but this is a great show to work on and you might be surprised by how much you like it.

If you want to hear someone else sing the music, you can hear Will's "Why God Why" on his website.
The Will Chase Site

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney www.myspace.com/jennverd Jennverd@aol.com

Allison5580 Profile Photo
Allison5580
#5re: Miss Saigon Casting
Posted: 5/28/04 at 4:20pm

When are these auditions and where? I have looked EVERYWHERE for info on Miss Saigon auditions. Are they for the current tour? And is it for all parts or just the guys? Just curious! You can email me at ANewsom@starmail.com or Allison_Newsom@yahoo.com (or the AOL email above) if you know! Thanks!

pimpernel86 Profile Photo
pimpernel86
#6re: Miss Saigon Casting
Posted: 5/29/04 at 9:05pm

Hey is this show going to be in New Jersey? I'm a teen and I would love any information too....alias674@aol.com...thanks!

JoizeyActor
#7re: Miss Saigon Casting
Posted: 5/29/04 at 9:09pm

It's not going to be until the fall sometime, so you have time. Just check the Star Ledger's auditions around October/November, or go to "www.nj.com" and they post the paper's auditions on the website too.

The only reason I know is because I'm in a show right now with the theatre group, and their next show is going to be Miss Saigon in the fall. That's all I know so far.

Videos