Man of La Mancha Question?

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#0Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/12/03 at 12:55am

I'm sorry if I am being completely ignorant, but did the new Broadway cast of "Man of La Mancha" record a cd? or are they planning to?
I was just blown away by Brian Stokes Mitchell's performance at the Tony's, and I would love to have it on cd.

I don't know why, but it really hit home for me when he sang, "To be willing to march into hell for a heavinly cause." He sang with such conviction, and I just thought of the past 2 and a half years, with our soldiers in war and everything.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#1re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/12/03 at 1:00am

Yes they did. I Purchased mine from the theare in MArch but it should be avail from othe B'way venues.

musicaltheatreman
#2re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/12/03 at 1:05am

who do you think would make a good replacement for brian?? i think james babour and maybe trenace mann.

i saw la mancha when i was in new york in dec. it is an awsome show. i wish they would re record it with marin m. :) i think she will make a good aldozone acting and espiealy vocally!

TheaterBaby
#3re: re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/12/03 at 1:09am

Thanks, I'll have to pick that up. Think maybe I'll wait until "Nine" is released next week so I can get them at the same time. AHH, who am I kiddin'? I'll be buying it tomorrow :P LOL

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

SisterMaryOnette Profile Photo
SisterMaryOnette
#4re: re: re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/12/03 at 9:04pm

they also have it at Borders, and I'd assume Tower records, and Barnes and Noble.....

#5re: re: re: re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/12/03 at 9:11pm

Oh Please!

BSM is overrated. Do yourselves a favor and get the original recording.

Yours for a Better Broadway.

#6re: re: re: re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/12/03 at 9:11pm

Oh Please!

BSM is overrated. Do yourselves a favor and get the original recording.

Yours for a Better Broadway.

TheaterBaby
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/13/03 at 1:16am

Well, I went to Best Buy today and they didn't have it. They only had the OCR (WHICH I DIDN'T WANT). LOL So I bought the soundtrack to Urinetown instead. :)

#8re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/13/03 at 4:44am

URINETOWN does not have a "soundtrack." What it does have is an Original Cast Recording (OCR). And, in fact, an Original Broadway Cast Recording (OBCR).

Why do music stores insist on categorizing movie soundtrack and cast recordings as one and the same and thereby contribute to the dumbing down of society, albeit a very small niche?

Yours for a Better Broadway!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#9Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/13/03 at 5:35am

Just to be really ridiculous for a moment, Urinetown actually technically does not have an Original Broadway Cast Recording. The recording was made during the Off-Broadway run, and Megan Lawrence was playing the role of Little Becky Two Shoes/Mrs. Millenium, the role that Jen Cody played in the original Broadway cast. So the CD is billed as the Original Cast Recording, and not the Original Broadway Cast Recording.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

TheaterBaby
#10re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/13/03 at 7:59pm

LOL OOPS. Wow, I can't believe I did that. I usually get so mad when people refer to cast recordings as soundtracks. I also hate that the stores don't categorize them correctly.

sharon1
#11re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/13/03 at 8:06pm

Barnes and Noble have it in their music section. In our stores it is featured.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#12re: re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/13/03 at 9:56pm

Hmm...Brian Stokes MItchell overrated? Never heard that one before. He is truly an AMAZING performer, in my opinion. He really does produce magic on stage. I don't think anyone can replace Brian in this role; he truly does an magnificent job. But if I HAD to pick a replacement, I would say Brent Barrett.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13re: re: re: re: Man of La Mancha Question?
Posted: 6/13/03 at 10:54pm

One of our more moronic reviewers (that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one) said of BSM in Ragtime that basically he was not black enough. If I remember correctly, it was that horses ass John Simon who loves to make fun of actors alledged physical shortcomings in his reviews. He topped himself in stupidity with the BSM gem . He probaly helped the box office for MOLM with his Tony performance more than a best revival could ever have done.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 6/13/03 at 10:54 PM

Videos