Musicals based on pop songs

BWayBoy88
#0Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:24pm

How many musicals are they going to make out of pop songs. Mamma Mia, Movin Out, We Will Rock You, now Good Vibrations. What next a musical using the NSYNC catalogue of songs.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#1re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:39pm

I believe it's called "All Shook Up" and it's going to be a musical based on the songs of Elvis.

And I've also heard that We Will Rock You is having a sequal.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

sean martin
#2re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:39pm

Hey, it could be worse. Out here in the hinterlands, we have to contend with two -- count 'em, two -- revues of the life and work of Patsy Cline, a dog of a work called Music for the Millenium, a couple of editions of The British Invasion.... it just goes on and on. :)

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

J. Profile Photo
J.
#3re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:40pm

All Shook Up, Smokey Joe's Cafe, The Who's Tommy, The Civil War, Jesus Christ Superstar . . .

Broadwayboobs Profile Photo
Broadwayboobs
#4re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:46pm

Don't forget..Leader Of The Pack.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. Ralph Waldo Emerson

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#5re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:46pm

J- I think BwayBoy means songs based on the music of other people. The Who's Tommy was done by the who- it was a rock opera, so the show was just a staged version of their album. JCS is all original music by ALW, lyrics by Tim Rice. I'm not sure about the others.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#6re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:48pm

I'm waiting for "Afternoon Delight" to be mounted.

Are you following BroadwayWorld.com yet on Facebook & Twitter? click here.

BWayBoy88
#7re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 12:52pm

Wasnt Civil War by Frank Wildhorn? Last time I checked he writes musicals not pop songs.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#8re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 1:08pm

Hey EddieVarley haven't you heard the marvy news that the Starland Vocal Band (the one hit wonder that gave us that vintage hit) is mounting a come back?
One word EWWW!
B

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

J. Profile Photo
J.
#9re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 1:11pm

What? Frank Wildhorn writes pop songs and musicals at the same time. He's written more pop singles for mainstream artists than songs for musicals which are usually pop songs themselves though I see your point. Erase Civil War, The Who's Tommy, and Superstar from my original list. Smokey Joe's Cafe works, right? Greatest hits of someone made into a musical, you mean? Sorry I misread.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 1:17pm

In London, there is Tonight's the Night (Rod Stewart) and Jailhouse Rock (Elvis). I know in Germany there was Falco Meets Amadeus (Falco). There's also an upcoming musical based on John Lennon's music and there was a review of Lennon and McCartny in London called All You Need is Love. And don't forget the short-lived review of Bacharach last year, The Look of Love.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Jon
#11re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 1:32pm

We need to distinguish between bok musical and revues. Smoky Joe's Cafe was a revue, along the lines of Aint Misbehavin' or Side bty Side by Sondheim. Momma Mia, Movin' Out, and the upcoming All Shook Up are book musicals, which invent characters and a plotline to string the songs together.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#12re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 1:36pm

Lets not forget Beatlemania, for those of us of us old folks.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#13re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 2:17pm

"...book musicals, which invent characters and a plotline to string the songs together."

4 words: THE BOY FROM OZ.

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

J. Profile Photo
J.
#14re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 2:25pm

Oh, yeah. We forgot BOY FROM OZ. That counts. Movin' Out has a story? What's it about? I've seen the show but couldn't see a story in there anywhere.

sean martin
#15re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 2:26pm

Boy meets piano. Boy loses piano. Boy gets girl in the end. :)

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

J. Profile Photo
J.
#16re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 2:31pm

Sounds like a mental problem to me.

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#17re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 2:35pm

And then there was CONTACT....I don't even know what it was really about...

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

J. Profile Photo
J.
#18re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 2:40pm

I HATE THAT DAMN SHOW!!! I know 6-year-olds who wouldn't be on a swing that long.

Plum
#19re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 2:59pm

Poor BFO. They tried to be a book show, they really tried.

*snorfle*

broadwayguy2
#20re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 3:00pm

LOL!

J. Profile Photo
J.
#21re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 3:02pm

hey broadwayguy, do know what happened to that Little shop post i started? Seriously, how could it have disappeared like that?

J. Profile Photo
J.
#22re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 3:07pm

oh never mind. rob's on. I think he deleted it. lol

bway_fanatic Profile Photo
bway_fanatic
#23re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 3:10pm

Ohhhh. thank god someone else didn't get Contact. I was so psyched to see it and then walked out of the performance going "what just happened".. :)

beacon1
#24re: Musicals based on pop songs
Posted: 7/8/04 at 4:05pm

Waiting for "Afternoon Delight" to be "mounted..."

Oh, Eddie! What a wonderful phrasing... :o)

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

Videos