But I'm A Cheerleader

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#0But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 7:46pm

I heard some of the songs from this show--sounds like it could be a real winner. I wonder what's up with it currently?

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#1re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 7:48pm

I hope Kerry Butler will take part in it. I mean, she did perform some songs from it.

I think DeeDee, which I'm assuming is who she sang for, would be a great new character for Kerry to play. Afterall, DeeDee is one big biotch. Hm, can I say that word on here? I put the 'o' in it just in case. But anyways, I'd like to see her as a bad girl.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#2re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 7:51pm

Joizey - you are getting "cheerleader" and "opposite of sex" mixed up :)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#3re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 7:59pm

Ugh, I am, aren't I? Thanks! Sorry about that people.

Well, Kerry can be in this show, too!

afa_composerboy
#4re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:38pm

Actually I've been very attached to this project for a long time. The show is incredible! It's really the next Ave Q..and the next big thing to come out of the BMI mus theater writing wkshop. The score is addictive and the book hysterical. There have been many improvements over the movie, bookwise.

The reading in Jan was sold out and got standing O's both times. At this point there exists a demo CD of 11 songs. The writers have an agent (I believe the same agent as Tony Kushner)...and they're looking to develop it as their next stage.

So, keep your eyes on this one folks. In the words of Corky "we're going to Broadway" :)

Oh the writing team (just in case it was never posted) is Andrew Abrams and Bil Augustin.

afa_composerboy
#5re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:40pm

PS I know that Kaitlin Hopkins is the newest member of the cast.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#6re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:42pm

This is one show I have been excited about for a very long time now. The movie was always more of a drama to me than a comedy, so I'm very interested which way they're going to go with it.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#7re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:44pm

Cool, I can't wait to see it! Thanks, afa.

afa_composerboy
#8re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:46pm

Good point. It's a really fine line that the writers are dealing with regarding the serious/comic feel to the show. The hope is to have both....but that's easier said than done right?: )

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#9re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:50pm

No, you're absolutely right. There are some great funny moments in there, but also some really poignant scenes, namely where the two dance at the bar for the first time, the "sex" scene and the last scene of the film. In this absurd camp setting the movie makes it a point to show that what these two girls have is beautiful and very special. I am really hoping that can be captured on stage.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

afa_composerboy
#10re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:54pm

Very true. The sex scene is beautifully set with a song called "Teach Me How to Fly"..it takes place in the True Directions shed..where Graham has put a million candles...she blindfolds Megan and takes her there. It's really touching! the song is arguably the best in the show.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#11re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:57pm

I fell in love with that song! Is it going to be in the stage version??

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#12re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:57pm

I fell in love with that song! Is it going to be in the stage version??

afa_composerboy
#13re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 8:59pm

YES! Where did you hear it?

Mattio98
#14re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 9:05pm

Where can I hear some music from it?

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#15re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 9:08pm

No, sorry I misread what you wrote. I had fallen in love with the song used in the film in that scene. It was also reprised at the very end.

afa_composerboy
#16re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 9:10pm

I think some people have some soundclips on their websites. I know www.unknownsinger.com does.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#17re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/25/04 at 9:25pm

It sounds incredible. And it's got a good team behind it, too!

broadwayguy2
#18re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/26/04 at 11:16am

Ia m very anxious to see what happens with this one.

I LOVE Kaitlin Hopkins. After seeing her performance in bare, that woman is an icon of mine.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#19re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/26/04 at 11:22am

You should have seen Miss Thing in BAT BOY. Love her!

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#20re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/27/04 at 11:01am

Kaitlin rocks my world. She's too underused in Bare but, in Cheerleader, she's the stahhh. We did a truncated version of the show for a BMI masterclass in May and Kaitlin was Mary. Even with a short rehearsal and in a shortened version, she was unbelievable. Also, Stephanie Kurtzuba (of Bat Boy, Boy From Oz and, most recently, the Joys of Sex) played Graham and is just a thrill to watch. She's really someone whose star is going to continue rising.

justani
#21re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/27/04 at 1:01pm

Guy LeMonnier has a few clips up on his site too.

http://www.guy-lemonnier.com

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#22re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/27/04 at 1:18pm

afa, who else has been cast?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#23re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/27/04 at 1:38pm

Oh why can't Clea Duvall come to the stage and reprise her role?????????? WHY??????????

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#24re: But I'm A Cheerleader
Posted: 7/27/04 at 1:43pm

because, hopefully my friend Stephanie Kurtzuba will be playing that part! :)

Videos