pixeltracker

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play

Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#0Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 1:43am

Anyone know anything about the stage version of Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis?? Please help me.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#1re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 1:45am

They did a stage version of that? Wow. I hated that book unlike any other book I've ever hated.

Maybe thats why I find the line in The Producers about it to be so funny...

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#2re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 1:57am

Wait. Is that the same Metamorphosis about the guy waking up as a bug?

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#3re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 2:00am

This is the show that moved into Circle In The Square after ROCKY HORROR unnecessarily ended it's run, January 6th 2002.

I miss my show. re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#4re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 2:02am

I know a guy who wants to make a musical with the metamorphosis of kafka with dancing beetles in a big tap dancing number, like in 42nd street.

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#5re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 2:11am

No, Matt...this is a different show actually.

It's the one about the man who wakes up as a bug.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#6re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 2:13am

Oh, you did say Kafka didn't you? It's late. I didn't read that part. The word Metamorphosis just makes me sad, though.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#7re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 1:00pm

I really wanted to see that Metamorphoses (the Circle in the Square one, based on Ovid's myths). I heard it was very cathartic after 9/11. Anyone catch it? Its website said it was planning a tour, but it's been three years now.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 8/24/04 at 01:00 PM

chauvelin128 Profile Photo
chauvelin128
#8re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 1:49pm

The show that played in Circle in the Square was called "Metamorphoses," which is the plural of "Metamorphosis," the title of Kafka's book about the bug-man.

Just a little clarification. :)

MargoChanning
#9re: Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka - Stage Play
Posted: 8/24/04 at 2:25pm

"Metamorphoses" was a brilliant theatre piece that incorporated Greek myths into a lyrical, magical evening created by Mary Zimmerman (it transferred from Second Stage; it originally debuted in Chicago, I believe)

The stage version of Kafka's "Metamorphosis" was directed and adapted by the great Shakespearean actor/director (and movie bad guy) Steven Berkoff back in the late 80's and starred Mikhail Baryshnikov as Gregor Samsa. Rather avante garde in concept as I recall, it exploited Baryshnikov's amazing physicality to make Samsa's transition into a cockroach, rather than using any makeup or special effects. It was well-received critically and Baryshnikov got a Tony nomination and a Theatre World Award.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Videos