News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

"NO STRINGS"

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#0"NO STRINGS"
Posted: 8/21/04 at 3:53pm

just got my copy of the cd. never heard the score and im lovin' some things on it, especially "the sweetest sounds". i know the basic plot outline/premise but does anyone here know if the actual book of the show is too dated to warrant a revival?

i know encores tackled this one a year or two ago, was it any good?

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#1re: 'NO STRINGS'
Posted: 8/21/04 at 4:20pm

My absolutely favorite OBC recording. I wish I could go back in time and see Diahann and Richard on stage. I do think the original story line is outdated. Wouldn't it be terrific if someone could do wonderful new updated book (like Hwang did for Flower Drum Song) utilizing all the original music?

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#2re: 'NO STRINGS'
Posted: 8/21/04 at 5:57pm

I love the score to No Strings and I'm doing a piece from it in my cabaret act in November. I'd love to have seen a production of it - Richard Kiley's voice was made for Broadway Baritone roles - so beautiful.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

#3re: 'NO STRINGS'
Posted: 8/21/04 at 6:20pm

NO STRINGS was recently reviewed here on BWW.com.

You'll find the review by clicking "columns" on the left where it is listed under "content."

The link to the NO STRINGS review is listed under my name.

The Rodgers & Hammerstein organization sent me a very lovely note after they read my comments along with some added details about the score.

NO STRINGS is quite wonderfull. Don't over look Ralph Burns' wonderful instrumental version of the score either. All the info on that recording in the the review as well.

Jose' Updated On: 8/21/04 at 06:20 PM

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#4re: 'NO STRINGS'
Posted: 8/21/04 at 7:07pm

I just love THE SWEETEST SOUNDS.

A gorgeous song.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#5re: 'NO STRINGS'
Posted: 8/21/04 at 7:44pm

I saw the recent Encores! version and was disappointed. David Naughton had very little stage energy and was not in good voice. Maybe he was exhausted. The whole production lacked energy, in fact, and was a bit boring. I went in looking forward to it but was, as I said, disappointed.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#6re: 'NO STRINGS'
Posted: 8/22/04 at 9:28am

I love Ralph Burns orchestrations! No Strings, No, No, Nanette, Sweet Charity, Irene, (some of ) They're Playing Our Song, A Chorus Line (One) and so on. A great talent sadly missed.

Videos