No Strings

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#0No Strings
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:48pm

So, what is everyone's opinion of this Richard Rodgers musical? I am thinking about buying the cast recording.......not completely sure yet

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 9/2/04 at 06:48 PM

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#1re: No Strings
Posted: 9/2/04 at 6:56pm

This show is one of those that should be more well-known. Encores had a production of it not too long ago with Maya Days. I think the recording of the show is not as good as it oculd be, but the show itself speaks through the recording...I'd get it if I were you.

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#2re: No Strings
Posted: 9/2/04 at 7:32pm

Richard Kiley and Diahann Carroll sing beautifully together... AND there are NO STRINGS in the music!!! there is another recording call No Strings With Strings, which is also really good... "The Sweetest Sounds" that was used in the Brandy CInderella is from this show as is one of the most beautiful songs ever "Look No Further"...

buy it!! buy it!! but it!!

#3re: No Strings
Posted: 9/2/04 at 8:27pm

There is a review of the recording here on bww.com.

I highly recommend it.

MusicMan
#4re: No Strings
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:45pm

It's not top-drawer Rodgers but it has some lovely moments (The Sweetest Sounds, Loads of Love, Look No Further, Nobody Told Me Further, The Man Who Has Everything). Unfortunately, some of the score is also achingly dated.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#5re: No Strings
Posted: 9/3/04 at 7:59am

got it recently and i love it. BUY IT!

Jon
#6re: No Strings
Posted: 9/3/04 at 8:24am

Not only were there no strings, but the musicians were onstage - not just sitting there like in CHICAGO, but strolling around, blending in with the ensemble throughout the show.

WOSQ
#7re: No Strings
Posted: 9/3/04 at 9:00am

One of the all time best.

A desert island cast recording.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Videos