Problems with WICKED

#0Problems with WICKED
Posted: 8/13/03 at 10:37am

Okay, I've noticed in a few threads that some people seem to think that WICKED is doomed to fail from the get go. My question is this:

1) Have you SEEN Wicked? If not, what are you basing your judgmenet on? If so, tell me what made you think that the show will not work for Broadway.

As most everyone knows, I am extemely excited for WICKED. 77 more days til my front row, centre section first mezz ticket is valid!

Paulie
#1re: Problems with WICKED
Posted: 8/13/03 at 7:17pm

A) People don't realize how great Stephen Schwartz is and how long his fans have been waiting for a new show of his to come to Broadway. (FOSSE does not count.)

B) It is a new show. Isn't getting the HAIRSPRAY hype. Since, of course, it wasn't a movie beforehand and...

C) The show doesn't have headlining stars, but rather some of the most talented people on Broadway.

I am excited about this show no matter what!

PJ
#2re: re: Problems with WICKED
Posted: 8/13/03 at 7:28pm

It looks like it could be a cool show. I just hope it doesn't flop a la DOTV.

#3re: re: re: Problems with WICKED
Posted: 8/13/03 at 7:46pm

First off, I have no problems with Wicked. I love the show. It's awesome. The story is great.

But what I think may develop as a problem is Wicked's music. I haven't seen Wicked, only heard it, and A LOT of the music sounds very familiar with other show tunes so I wouldn't be surprised if critics make a note of the music's cliche'-ness

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#4re: re: re: re: Problems with WICKED
Posted: 8/13/03 at 7:50pm

I, for one, am waiting with bated breath to see Wicked. re: re: re: re: Problems with WICKED

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

iluvny04 Profile Photo
iluvny04
#5re: re: re: re: re: Problems with WICKED
Posted: 8/13/03 at 8:04pm

Aida sort had the fate as 'Wicked' when it peremiered, the whole show was changed and now its a hit, lets hope that Wicked fares the same.

CaTheatreGirl Profile Photo
CaTheatreGirl
#6re: re: re: re: re: re: Problems with WICKED
Posted: 8/13/03 at 8:10pm

I saw the show in San Francisco and, though it needed some work, I loved the show very much and am looking forward to seeing it again in NY. I think it will do quite well. It carries none of the doom that was cast over DOTV. There's no comparison.

#7re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Problems with WICKED
Posted: 8/14/03 at 9:54am

How glad am I that there are other people out there that are just as optimistic about this show as me? YAY! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Videos