So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#0So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 11:23am

After seeing all those pics covering the HAIR concert, I for the life of me couldn't even begin to guess who Harris 'Claude' Doran was. And I consider myself pretty in-the-know.

Check out Musto's column this week.

Not that I have anything against it...just interesting!
Marxism at work!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

MargoChanning
#1re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 11:37am

Mmmmmm-hmmmmmmm.....

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

SonofCorine2 Profile Photo
SonofCorine2
#2re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 11:41am

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

"Honey- Men don't want one woman. Do the same thing. Date many men. I DO! I am going through the exact same thing. Don't over eat, instead date others. You will be amazed how much fun it will be. Also play hard to get. Men are dogs honey. DOGS!" - Corine2 10/29/04

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#3re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 12:08pm

As I said, I have no problem with it.

I just couldn't believe there was this boy in all these pictures with all these known theatrical types and I was like, 'WHO???'

More power, I say!

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Aaron27 Profile Photo
Aaron27
#4re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 12:46pm

yea, like that's the first time it ever happened (not!) and it won't be the last. As long as he's talented and was great in the part, good for him. Everyone deserves a chance, no matter how they get it. connections, connections, connections

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#5re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:36pm

Al, rolling his eyes violently. I seem to do that alot, reading this board, recently. I'm sure, since there's been nary a mention of him, until Musto's column, he was simply "awesome" and "amazing".

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#6re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:54pm

I don't understand why he played Claude and didn't sing any of Claude's songs (or so I heard), and there was no plot to the concert...

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

SonofCorine2 Profile Photo
SonofCorine2
#7re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 2:59pm

He sang a few lies of Claude's songs but never a whole song.

"Honey- Men don't want one woman. Do the same thing. Date many men. I DO! I am going through the exact same thing. Don't over eat, instead date others. You will be amazed how much fun it will be. Also play hard to get. Men are dogs honey. DOGS!" - Corine2 10/29/04

Caravaggio Profile Photo
Caravaggio
#8re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 7:48pm

It never hurts to be the cute boyfriend of a hot Broadway songwriter.

Just ask Gene Kelly.

I'm happy as long as there are brownies in the green room.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#9re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 9:09pm

Dude. I should start banging some songwriters. Seems like the way to do it these days.

cabarethed
#10re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 10:34pm

He was one of the performers at Amanda Green and Tom Kitt's show back in July. I remember wondering who he was too, but thought he was very funny (it was a High Fidelity workshop).

holden Profile Photo
holden
#11re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 11:17pm

I was at the Amanda Green/Tom Kitt thing too, and I too thought he was funny. In fact, as I recall, the crowd reacted really enthusiastically to him. But I've seen Harris in a few different shows now (including the Songs You Love.... show that was covered here) over time -- so I'm confused by the idea that he's mysterious and new all of a sudden....

I assume that they picked him for the HAIR concert because they needed someone who would be totally reliable but let the big Broadway stars shine when they came on (and who, in order to do those things, was talented AND available for a gazillion rehearsals). I thought he sounded great in HAIR, and I really enjoyed watching him on stage. He's a very attractive young man. Updated On: 9/29/04 at 11:17 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#12re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 11:33pm

Don't say bad things about Harris. I heard he was great.
PS I met him at Shubert Alley and he is a very nice guy.
He was there because he is talented. Wish I could have seen the Hair concert.

thebigkrakowski Profile Photo
thebigkrakowski
#13re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/29/04 at 11:37pm

I'm still saying WHO?

!!!

holden Profile Photo
holden
temms Profile Photo
temms
#15re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/30/04 at 12:02am

They used Claude as a device - there wasn't really a plot (there sort of isn't to HAIR, ever) but they used Claude's dilemma of whether or not to go to Vietnam after being drafted as the hook of the evening. It seemed to me that the soloists were all "in Claude's mind" - the central journey of the show was Claude's, even though he didn't sing most of the music. Worked well enough for me.

And I've encountered Harris Doran at many, many auditions (I make a lot of my living as an audition pianist) - he is a proud member of the rank-and-file, up-and-coming musical actor circle, just like everyone who was in the ensemble for HAIR. He always does a great audition, and I suspect when there's a role that's right for him, he will get attention. I thought he did an admirable job in HAIR, nepotism or not.

Marc Shaiman Profile Photo
Marc Shaiman
#16re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/30/04 at 7:23am

no one gets an IMPORTANT role cause of who their boyfriend is...that kinda **** went out of style with the Charlston...he simply is a very talented actor and singer who got a nice break

And if Jeff Marx & Scott Wittman ever mysteriously disappear, I'll be first in line to be the next Mr. Doran!!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#17re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Posted: 9/30/04 at 8:04am

Mr Shaiman, I'm surprised at you! Your partner is pretty incredible!!!!! I loved his fashion shots in Showpeople.
re: So THAT'S who Harris Doran is!
Updated On: 9/30/04 at 08:04 AM

Videos