pixeltracker

Questions on growing a beard for a show...

Questions on growing a beard for a show...

broadwayguy2
#0Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/20/03 at 10:21pm

This was posted on All That Chat. I figured that perhaps we could help as well.....

Hello,
I've been cast as Motel in Fiddler, and I've been told that I need to grow a beard (or as much of one as I possibly can). I tried growing it out a little, but my face is breaking out very badly. I've got 2 months before the show goes up, and I want to have a "healthy" beard without pimples underneath. I use astringent and a scrubby facewash every day to try and keep my already-bad skin from breaking out. Does anyone have any tips for this first-time beard grower?
Bye,
Ty

My first thought, upon reading the title, would be to ask a male film actor. They seem to be experts on sprouting beards suddenly right before a project opens.

Dollypop
#1re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/20/03 at 10:23pm

The poor lad. My heart breaks for him!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Dollypop
#2re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/20/03 at 10:23pm

The poor lad. My heart breaks for him!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#3re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/21/03 at 9:23am

Do it the Cliff Notes way. Go to a local costume shop & buy yourself a beard

Poster Emeritus

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#4re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/21/03 at 9:30am

Ask Tom Cruise, he seems to be an expert when it comes to finding a beard.

PEACE.

Gothampc
#5re: re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/21/03 at 10:19am

SueleenGay, LOL that's the best laugh I've had this week!!!

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

broadwayguy2
#6re: re: re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/21/03 at 10:56am

Sueleen.. AMEN!

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#7re: re: re: re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/21/03 at 3:07pm

I agree with the earlier post. Just get a fake beard.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#8 re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/21/03 at 7:22pm

Motel should not require a large beard stubble and the occ patch of sl longer hair (spirit gum) should be adequate to add to the nebbishy quality that is inherent in the part. ( makes Wonder of Wonders more miraculous)

RagtimeRay
#9re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/21/03 at 7:35pm

While using a fake beard may be the answer, applying spirit gum regularly brings its own set of facial challenges.

You didn't indicate how long you've let the beard grow so far. If it is only stubble, that may be adding irritation that will go away once the facial hair is longer. I think I'd reassess the skin problem after you've got at least two to three weeks of facial hair.

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

orion59 Profile Photo
orion59
#10re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/22/03 at 8:33am

Fake beards always look obvious fake and cheap. Also, the adehsive, spirit gum, that holds it on can cause futher skin problems. As stated in one of the above posts, Mottler doesn't need to have a full beard. The stubble effect can be obtained with make up but it will take you a bit of practice prefect the technique and make it look natural.

http://www.danperezgallery.com

#11re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/22/03 at 9:04am

Ask Tom Cruise...

He's been very lucky with getting some primo beards...

tpdc
#12re: re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/22/03 at 2:28pm

Yeah, but did Tom have to pay for his beards? Or were they gifts from Hollywood honchos or Scientology gurus?

broadwayguy2
#13re: re: re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/22/03 at 2:31pm

I think that a hefty sum was involved in his nine year beard-lationship.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#14re: re: re: re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/22/03 at 3:29pm

I think it was more like "Stay with Tom for ten years and we'll not only make you a huge star, but when your contract is up, we will make it look like it is his fault and you will get the public's sympathy." Hmmmm. Sounds like it worked out for her.

PEACE.

Dollypop
#15re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/22/03 at 10:06pm

I grew a beard for my first go-round in FIDDLER. The problem was that it grew in red (whereas the hair on the top of my head is brown) and looked fake under the lights. I wound up dying my beard so it would look more natural. This was in the days before Just For Men, and I reeked of ammonia for hours!

I make good beards of crepe wool and latex. Where do you live? I'd be willing to help.

Sunfish
#16re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/23/03 at 12:24am

Will the original poster (who wrote on another forum) see any of the responses here?

#17re: re: Questions on growing a beard for a show...
Posted: 9/23/03 at 9:24am

Worked WELL for Her?

She's now considered by many to be the finest film actress of her generation..

..and an actress that Broadway would give it's right nut to have here on a semi-regular basis..

Oh, yeah , it worked out for her... Updated On: 9/23/03 at 09:24 AM