pixeltracker

The "New" MAMMA MIA! and this Carole Caramello person

The "New" MAMMA MIA! and this Carole Caramello person

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#0The "New" MAMMA MIA! and this Carole Caramello person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:29am

It was a wonder evenign tonight at the Mamma Mia! Theatre. The show is recovering from the "dark months" of the awful horrifyingly untalented Jenny Felner who was the absolute worst Sophie in the 5 and a half year-multi-production history of MAMMA MIA! (This was not a matter of being untalented and not knowing it. She gave no energy or volume in her entire performance to the point where most people in the audience were unable to hear and were confronting the sound man at intermission. She was an absolute joke and did not deserve to be on that stage when there are equally untalented people who would have actually made their untalented voices audible.) (We just need to get Brenda Braxton back in CHICAGO and Terre McCleshod out and Broadway will be repaired again.) Thankfully she and the rest of that cast who also left much to be desired have been fired and we have a good show again.

Carolyn Caramel has to be one of the top 3 Donnas in MAMMA MIA! history. Her voice had the power, she was actually able to hit the low notes with strength so people could hear them, and she had the most satisfying ending to "winner takes it . . AAALLLL!!!!" I was blown away and got chills. My oonly complaint is that she still sings musical theatre style like the rest of the cast with too much vibrato instead of ABBA style. Liz McCartney was great but TABOO shows her off more. The woman who played Tanya also rocked. We still cannot find a good Sam Charmichal though. Every person who has played it has had an old man voice and performed the music like Mickey Dolenz in AIDA did. He sang very back and in the throat like Kermit the Frog and even croacked a few times. This is far from a pop style.

Overall I ahve to say that the show is in a great state but what I've always noticed is that we never have a cast for this show that actually sings in a pop ABBA style. Everyone is so "broadway" and wants to use a ton of vibrato and sing overlly nazal. I'm not asking for a copy of ABBA but we need to get closer. Not to be full of myself, but I would love to scout out my own "dream cast" for this show and it would be sung a lot differently than it has been. Also, we need to star getting all the musical numbers the same volume as the overture and scene change music. The sound always comes down for the actors. Notice how "Honey Honey" is so quite after that super loud overture? I don't think it should be that way. Sound is important with this show. Does anyone else have any thoughs in general about the styles of voices in any cast of the show? Updated On: 11/2/04 at 12:29 AM

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#1re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:32am

oh lord....here comes the onslaught. Im hoping that you're either joking or illiterate.

Her name is Carolee Carmello

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

broadwayguy2
#2re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:33am

the London cast was laughable.

Mamma Mia needs STRONG pop singers to work.

broadwayguy2
#3re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:34am

Mamma Mia also needs LuvUrBatBoy as Sky.

bronxboundexpress
#4re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:36am

Oh, I disn't keep the program. I'm doing this my memory. I wasn't sure about the name.

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this show's lack peopel who can sing pop.

Chrysanthemum62001
#5re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:41am

I wonder what Brodway Matt is going to think when he sees this thread...

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

pitrepower
#6It's Carolee Carmello....and my review
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:43am

Ok..first off I must say the the new Donna's name is Carolee Carmello..not Caroline Caramel...check your playbill. But I do agree..she is GREAT in the part. I saw her in the role for the first time a week ago, and have already seen the show 3 more times. Her voice is beautiful and her acting is awesome..she is just such a natural and makes one believe that she really is Donna Sheridan. And I have never heard a Donna hold the last note of Winner soooo long!!! I also have to agree about Judy McLane as Tanya..that lady is extremely talented and is hilarious in the part. And I think Sara Kramer as Sophie is a welcome change..she adds sweetness and energy to the part. I have to disagree with you about Daniel as Sam though....I actually like him in the role. His Knowing Me Knowing You is the first version on Broadway that I have not been bored during.
I do think that Mamma Mia is in much better shape now..but be careful what you say about the last cast. Not everyone was fired!!

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#7re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:43am

And this, ladies and Gentlemen, is why I love me some Broadwayguy2!

I think I have every credential required to play Sky except his abs (sadly)

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

broadwayguy2
#8re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:46am

I am sure you'd look more than passingly fine in those shorts, Batboy!

Here_I_Go_Again
#9re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:48am

As far as the new cast here is my review… LOVE SARA KRAMER, she is just as sweet onstage as she is off. She was FAB on tour and I’m THRILLED to see her make her B’way debut. Really like Judy, she puts a great new twist on the part, so does Liz….now for Carolee, she has an AMAZING voice and an amazing presents on stage. Her Winner takes it all is PHENOMNAL as a singer, but as a Donna it lacks gusto. Donna is a mom, with a past and a former rock star singer. I got that feeling when I saw, Loiuse, Dee and Monique, I don’t see that with Carolee yet, that’s not to say she wont get there. She has an AMAZING AMAZING voice. I think she just needs some time to settle.( my roommate totally thinks I’m wrong, we almost never agree…hehehe) The changes they have made to the show seem to flow very nicely. The new Sky seems a bit stiff but I’m sure he will loosen up, a great body though. Overall im sure I’ll go back and keep referring people to see this fun hit. Till next time, Keep DANCING AND JIVING

bronxboundexpress
#10re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:57am

Continuation of my review: (I forgot a few things)

Yes, the new Sophie is much better and probably one of the best. She's got a nice belt I just wish she would use it more. (Definitely worlds ahead of Jenny Feler who was an absolute joke and did not deserve to be on that stage when there are equally untalented people who would have actually made their untalented voices audible.) We just need to get Brenda Braxton back into Velma in CHICAGO and Broadway will be repaired again.

bronxboundexpress
#11re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:13am

Ok I figured out the problem. THIS is the official MAMMA MIA thread.

bronxboundexpress
#12re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:14am

Broadway Matt said:

"it's cool, I moved it. also wanted to say I didn't think the new Sophie was all that great either. was the last one that bad? this is the first time I've seen the show since it's pre-Broadway run in San Fran. "

Yes, the last Sophie was a disaster and I knwo there were huge complaints about her to the production other than me but she had serious issues and needed to be let go.

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#13re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:15am

dammit, ok one more try...

saw the show Saturday night specifically to see CAROLEE, who was almost solely responsible for it being watchable. see the "Broadway Matt is in Love" thread on the OT board...

She was fabulous. So were Liz and Judy. The rest of the cast were considerably less impressive, especially the 3 male "potential-Dads". None seemed a very good singer and that British accent was a little hard to believe. I was praying that one of them would be out, and I'd get to see the amazing Christopher Carl, but no such luck. If anyone gets a chance to see Chris in one of the roles, you are lucky indeed and must post a review. He was Raoul in SF's Phantom, and the finest Raoul I have seen.

also wanted to say I didn't think the new Sophie was all that great either. was the last one that bad? this is the first time I've seen the show since it's pre-Broadway run in San Fran.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

bronxboundexpress
#14re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:16am

Yes this is that actual post. The others with the "." we can let die down.

Chrysanthemum62001
#15re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:16am

LOL! I was waiting for that!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Broadway Matt
#16re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:17am

i love Louise Pitre. Best Fantine ever.

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

bronxboundexpress
#17re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:18am

Is Dee Hoty a blonde? Am I right e atarted with a gray haired Donna and ended with a red haired one?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#18re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:23am

How's the new Sky?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

bronxboundexpress
#19re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:25am

I like the new Sky. He's cool. Studly and feminine as all the ohters.

broadwayguy2
#20re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:26am

oh behave.

I'd like to see Aaron, though Joe will ALWAYS have a special place with me

Broadway Matt
#21re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:26am

the new Sky, kinda boring. wears the shorts well, but boring.

Broadway Matt
#22re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:34am

oh almost forgot, broadwayguy2, I thought of you when I realized Isaac Calpito was onstage. I hadn't known, and I tend to associate you with BARE ensemble members.

bronxboundexpress
#23re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:35am

How many times have you guys seen MAMMA MIA!?

broadwayguy2
#24re: The 'New' MAMMA MIA! and this Caroline Caramel person
Posted: 11/1/04 at 1:36am

hahaha. You asscoiate Bare ensemble members with me? lol.

yes, Isaac deiced to join the Mamma Mia cast and not continue with Bare this fall. I guess he made a smart choice...

Videos