phantom question...

apdarcey
#0phantom question...
Posted: 11/27/04 at 5:25pm

so this may have already been adressed but i'm being lazy... the chandelier is going to fall during don juan instead of during il muto? i'm just so confused as to why this would occur... please?

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#1re: phantom question...
Posted: 11/27/04 at 5:45pm

You're referring to the movie, right?

CarolynW Profile Photo
CarolynW
#2re: phantom question...
Posted: 11/27/04 at 5:47pm

If you are talking about the movie...I do not know if it has been asked or answered here. But ifyou go to the WB board we have a spoilers section and the answer is there:) See the link below to that thread.

http://boards3.warnerbros.com/wbol/thread.jspa?threadID=2000004503&tstart=0

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#3re: phantom question...
Posted: 11/27/04 at 6:42pm

Yes, it falls (in the movie) after he is revealed onstage during Don Juan and runs off with Christine.

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

Belle-arina Profile Photo
Belle-arina
#4re: phantom question...
Posted: 11/29/04 at 10:09am

They may have changed it because it's closer to the book. I believe that the reason it falls in the first place is to create a diversion so that he can take Christine. I assume Andrew Lloyd Webber changed so that he could have a dramatic Act I finale.

I'm okay with the change, except that, I guess they must have changed the words in Masquerade ("to a prosperous year, to the new chandelier" and "remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier") and i like those lines re: phantom question...

"No thoughts within her head, but thoughts of joy.....no dreams within her heart but dreams of love."

Sant
#5re: phantom question...
Posted: 11/29/04 at 2:31pm

Actually, in the book the chandelier falls down immediately after Carlotta has started 'quacking' just before the masquerade. So the falling chandelier is pretty much in the original place in the stage version, they did add the roof scene to take place before it and on stage the chandelier is falling down during Christine's performance instead of Carlotta's - as it happens in the book.

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#6re: phantom question...
Posted: 11/29/04 at 2:34pm

As the thread Carolyn linked reveals, the opera house catchs fire after the chandelier falls. Schumacher said that they couldn't burn the opera house twice so they put the chandelier fall closer to the end of the film.

Videos