pixeltracker

Lack of originality on Broadway?

Lack of originality on Broadway?

Joshua488
#0Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:07pm

Does anyone think that Broadway is starting to lose a little bit of its originality? For instance, there is a seemingly large influx of musicals that use songs previously written by other people for purposes other than being in a musical (i.e., GOOD VIBRATIONS, ALL SHOOK UP, the upcoming LENNON, etc.) I'm not saying I disapprove of it, but do you think that the Broadway community is doing this to make an easy profit, or do you think that the Broadway community HAS to do this in order to keep a steady profit? In other words, is it a cheap marketing device or is Broadway using any means possible to continue making money? Just something to think about and voice an opinion on...

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot MAMMA MIA! and MOVIN' OUT... I'm positive I'm forgetting others, too... Updated On: 12/21/04 at 09:07 PM

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#1re: Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:10pm

It's the flavor of the month, an attempt to ape the success of Mamma Mia! (This topic also gets discussed in the Good Vibrations thread on this page). Actually, in the last few years between Urinetown, Avenue Q and Caroline, or Change, there have been more genuinely original musicals than in many many years.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 12/21/04 at 09:10 PM

BSoBW2
#2re: Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:10pm

hence the show i am writing - which is in a way an original parody - ooo, an oxymoron

BSoBW2
#3re: Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:13pm

by original, do you mean new music or a totally new story with totally new music?

(ie: not from a book or movie)

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#4re: Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:18pm

Totally original musicals are the exception, not the rule. Most musicals of the Golden Age are adaptations of SOMETHING ... a Shaw or Shakespeare play, a popular novel or film. Sure, there are shows like Of Thee I Sing, Babes in Arms, Finian's Rainbow, Brigadoon, Bye Bye Birdie, Company etc... that were wholly original. But does anyone fault Show Boat, Oklahoma!, Carousel, The King & I, My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof or Cabaret for being based on existing source material?

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:27pm

The critics will rip originality just as they rip revivals. Why bother ?

Poster Emeritus

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#6re: Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:29pm

I'm not saying I disapprove of it, but do you think that the Broadway community is doing this to make an easy profit, or do you think that the Broadway community HAS to do this in order to keep a steady profit?

Broadway in general doesn't make a steady profit at all. 80% of shows don't recoup.

But yes, I think these jukebox musicals are due to producers jumping on the Mamma Mia bandwagon, in an attempt to produce a hit.

I certainly don't mind musicals being adaptations of a previously existing source -- the majority of even the best musicals do that. But I would like to see musicals with composers writing for the stage in mind.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 12/21/04 at 09:29 PM

CanWeTalkBroadway? Profile Photo
CanWeTalkBroadway?
#7re: Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:30pm

Yes. Critics. They ruin EVERYTHING.

But how do some shows make money? I mean, Wicked got decidedly mixed reviews and it's about to recoup its investment. Those bungee cords can't be cheap, can they? I mean, wow, those damn critics.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#8re: Lack of originality on Broadway?
Posted: 12/21/04 at 9:33pm

brooklyn is original...not based on anything, totally new music. although i am going to see them, i am not too excited about all shook up or good vibrations. hopefully they will suprise me.

Videos