pixeltracker

FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)

FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#0FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:54pm

Well...I know I had been dreading seeing this show ever since I got the tickets for Christmas...but I was happy to take them since they were free. Today I went to see GOOD VIBRATIONS with my parents, aunt, uncle, and three cousins. They're all die hard Beach Boys fans and expected since it was a musical...that I wanted to go. My dad had dragged me to numerous Beach Boys concerts as a kid and, even though it was kinda fun, I found the music very cheesy. When I heard they were making a musical the first thoughts in my head were...ANOTHER WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME. Well, upon leaving the theatre after the show...I take back everything negative I said about this show.

Now, don't let this make you think it's my new favorite show, I don't even think it falls in my top five, but all in all, GOOD VIBRATIONS is a pretty fun night in the theatre.

The show itself is very light and kitchy. The script is what you'd expect for a Beach Boys musical...high school kids taking a road trip to California for the summer. Songs about surfing and girls and whatnot. But, it's executed quite well on stage. It's a pretty funny show...and the harmonies are VERY well done...and the songs are well performed. The set...THE SET...FREAKIN AMAZING!!!! But then, it's what should be expected from the woman who designed the Dracula set, which was also amazing. Seriously...she's done it again. Most of the first act takes place in this warehouse that (with some minimal changes) doubles as the school graduation/dance. The cool part is the band starts out on this platform that looks like the back of a pickup truck. You see them for like the first half of the first act but then this garage door opens and the "truck" moves to the back and the door closes. Mostly nothing changes in the warehouse. When the kids leave on their roadtrip they just sit in chairs and pretend to drive while this projection plays in back of them which simulates them moving on the road throughout the country passing famous landmarks. At first I thought the set was stationary and would never change...it would remain the warehouse the whole show and theyd make little changes to simulate California. Man was I wrong. When they finally stop the car it's at night and they don't know where they are...the stage is pitch black and all you here is the sound of waves crashing and suddenly...this weird guitar thing starts to play and the entire warehouse rises into the air and behind it is this HUGE turquoise sparkly dome wall with the ocean painted on it and it just goes NUTS. It was one of the coolest set changes I've ever seen. And the curtain at intermission is this huge wave...I felt all "beachy"...and had the oddest urge to start using the word "bitchin". I thought I had seen it all...but for Act 2...when the curtain goes up there is this HUGE GLASS WAVE THAT SPANS THE ENTIRE STAGE!
It is so amazing! When they get to California it is really pretty. They slide out these diner stools that are all neon colored and simulate a drive in movie...and at one point on stage...no joke...the cast is using bumper cars...REAL F**KING BUMPER CARS. This set is nuts...it is nucking futz! No joke.

Ok...so the talent. Surprisingly...it's there.

Kate Reinders is so great as the lead girl. She's a younger version of Kristin Chenoweth. Short, skinny, blond, with that signature nasaly voice. But man can she sing. She's got some chords. I saw her in GYPSY but she didn't really sing too much so I didn't really know how good she was. SHE'S GOOD! And she's a terrific actress. At first her character reminded me of Melissa Joan Hart in "Can't Hardly Wait"...but then she becomes much cooler and gets noticed by all the California boys! She was so good. I positively loved her.

David Larsen...DAVID LARSEN...MY GOD I WANTED TO EAT HIM ALIVE. He is incredibly hott...HOTT! And he can sing real good...DAVID SING MIGHTY GOOD. He's got an incredible range and sings the crap out of every number. He's really funny and a good actor to boot. I was salivating...so good looking.

Jessica Snow Wilson is also very good. I heard nothing but good reviews of her short stint as Audrey in Little Shop and I wasn't dissapointed here. She's a great actress with a great voice. Her and Kate have some really beautiful duets. She was great, I really liked her.

John Jeffrey Martin is another looker. I saw pictures of him through a friend who's obsessed with him and I didn't think much of him. But man wait till you see him in person. He is FINE! And he can SING! I knew he'd been in Rocky Horror and Hairspray as some bit parts...but he gets a chance to shine in this show. He's another one with damn good pipes.

I have to mention Chad Kimball. The boy is too hysterical for words. I saw him years ago in Godspell and I really liked him. But, in this show he gets a couple of numbers to himself and he really sings them very well. Plus he has a lot of funny lines, he's a really funny guy. He's not really a lead...more of featured ensemble...but I can see why he's leaving to do Lennon...he's got talent out of the wazoo.

I must tell you that I almost fainted at this show. The amount of sexy shirtless men on that stage was giving me the vapors. David...John...Chad...plus the whole male ensemble have gorgeous bodies. OMG! I almost wet my pants. Just gorgeous...me likey the lack of shirts in this show...YUM!

After the show I went to the door and met everyone. I talked to Kate about the show and about seeing her in GYPSY...she was too sweet. I talked to Chad about Godspell and Lennon...he was nice as can be. I couldn't talk to David because when he was signing my playbill I think I swallowed my tongue. He was like "Hi" and I was like "Y-Y-Y-Y-You w-w-w-were r-r-r-r-really g-g-g-good!"...he laughed. I met John and Jessica and talked to them for a while. They all really love the show and are hoping it will do well. I got the whole cast to sign my playbill and they were all sweethearts.

So, overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this show. It was not what I expected it to be. It's not the most moving show ever...but if you're ever in the city and you find yourself with some extra cash...I would definitely recommend rushing GOOD VIBRATIONS. Or, if you can get a good deal on advance tickets...take them. Don't break your bank trying to see this show...but it's definitely worth $25-$40 tickets. You won't be let down...it's a feel good show that keeps you entertained and you leave the theatre humming the tunes and tapping your feet. I don't know how critics will take it but the audience was packed and the show got a standing O. Everyone was on their feet clapping and singing and dancing during the finale. Beach Boys fans will keep this show in business for a while. The talent is great...the set is amazing...the shows pretty darn good...so I would honestly recommend it if you're ever in the city and don't have your heart set on something else.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#1re: FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)
Posted: 1/8/05 at 11:58pm

Great review!
Thank you for it re: FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)

DiRrTy_ReNtHEAD420 Profile Photo
DiRrTy_ReNtHEAD420
#2re: FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)
Posted: 1/9/05 at 12:04am

thanx for the post makes me actualy want to give this show a chance now.

No Other Road.. No Other Way.. No Day But Today! Live Dirty, Play Dirrty, I am DIRRTY!

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#3re: FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)
Posted: 1/9/05 at 12:38am

I gave it a chance and liked it...and I am VERY critical. So, I think most people will get a kick out of it.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

AlienOnBroadway
#4re: FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)
Posted: 1/9/05 at 1:09pm

What a fantastic review! And by that I mean you backed up your thoughts with specific examples instead of saying, "Ohmigod, I loved it" or "it sucks!"
I really appreciate your thoughts on it. From what I have heard/read, they are really trying to turn things around and fix some of the flaws in the show. A friend of mine went to the mat yesterday and a cast member told her that the cast was pleased with the changes they had made from just the previous night's show. They feel like it's moving in the right direction. Sounds like it from your review.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
broadwayguy2
#6re: FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)
Posted: 1/9/05 at 3:03pm

I am So glad that you enjoyed Jeff! Tis true, the man has the looks and the pipes to make one swoon!

Joshua488
#7re: FOAnatic at Good Vibrations (SPOILERS)
Posted: 1/9/05 at 4:37pm

Yay! Jessica-Snow is doing well! I really like her. She was adorable in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS... she had me convinced that she was a dumb blonde! I didn't think she was acting! And that girl can sing, too. Yay for J.Snow!!

Videos