Forever Plaid

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#0Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/17/05 at 7:21pm

I saw this show yesterday at a local theatre and I have to say that I am completely torn with my decision whether or not I liked it. The acting from almost everyone was HORRIBLE (one guy was decent) but the singing was AMAZING. I owned the cd for over a year and I liked the songs, still do, but the show as a whole was TOO cheesey. I know that is how it is probably supposed to be but it kind of grated on my nerves. I mean, I think I got a cavity watching it. Forever Plaid But, again the music....I loved. In fact I am listening to the cast recording right now. Has anyone else seen this show?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

J-Pill Profile Photo
J-Pill
#1re: Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/17/05 at 8:20pm

I caught this at a local theater... last year, was it? I enjoyed the production and found the acting quite effective. During the quiet and intense moments, you could drop a pin on the floor and it would sound like a hammer. The audience loved it. Afterwards, I met with an elder lady who told me she followed these boys wherever they performed. This was her 11th time to see it.

It's not anything groundbreaking or even worth bringing back to Broadway, but it sure is a great night of small theater.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#2re: Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/17/05 at 8:22pm

Yeah. I mean, I am glad that I went (I only spent $13) and it wasn't a waste of my time or anything. I think if they chose actors who could sing, instead of singers who couldn't act....I would have enjoyed it a lot better. I mean, as I was watching them act I kept thinking to myself, "If this is the caliber of acting at these theatres then I should be a shoe-in if I ever move to Columbia." I mean, not to toot my own horn (which I am good at by the way. re: Forever Plaid ).

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#3re: Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:34pm

I've seen the show numerous times. With the right director and choreographer it is side-splitting funny. In the wrong hands, it's merely some good tunes with some corny jokes. The whole thing should have a good-natured tongue-in-cheek sense of humor. It pokes fun at the wholesome image of the boy groups of the 50s (and every high school audio/visual club), but does so with a loving hand. Hopefully, you'll get a chance someday to see it done well. I watched it seven times and never got tired of it. I still want to play Jinx.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#4re: Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/17/05 at 9:38pm

yes, matt. It was a bad production because the only part that I laughed at was the Ed Sullivan scene. And I too want to play jinx one day. re: Forever Plaid

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#5re: Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/18/05 at 12:28am

I am a huge fan of the show, having done it several times (most recently in Atlantic City), as Jinx.

I think that the songs are incredible and that is what hits people first, but it's the heart of the piece - when it is played honestly - that really makes the piece soar. The comedy of the piece really plays when the guys aren't aware that their 50's sensibilities are so foreign to modern audiences. I have seen a few productions that were very "wink wink, nudge nudge," the Plaids were too self aware that they very "playing nerdy" and the evening tanked.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#6re: Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/18/05 at 12:37am

I never really cared for FOREVER PLAID. It's not a bad show, but I enjoyed BEEHIVE more.

Give me Lesley Gore, Dusty Springfield, the Supremes and Janis Joplin over Pat Boone any day.

dancindramadude Profile Photo
dancindramadude
#7re: Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/18/05 at 1:48am

A local theatre will be doing it this summer. I know the cast and they are all amazing singers so I cant wait to see the show. I love the soundtrack

J-Pill Profile Photo
J-Pill
#8re: Forever Plaid
Posted: 1/18/05 at 2:39am

"The comedy of the piece really plays when the guys aren't aware that their 50's sensibilities are so foreign to modern audiences."

Yes. THAT'S what makes it work.

Videos