pixeltracker

Research Paper: "History of Broadway"

Research Paper: "History of Broadway"

iTaLiAn xOx StAr
#0Research Paper: "History of Broadway"
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:24pm

I'm working on a research paper that's 25% of my grade in Social Studies and Language Arts and also goes toward what classes I take in high school. I decided to research the history of Broadway because that's what I'm interested in, but there's way too much information. So what I've decided to do is cover the first 50 years (1800-1850) and the last 50 years (1950-2000) and things that are happening today (2005, obviously). I used talkinbroadway.com to obtain information for 1800-1900, but I don't know where to go for the 1950's - 2000! Does anyone know of any good websites that cover the last 50 years of Broadway musicals and plays, actors and actresses, etc? Thanks so much for your help!

always, Lexi

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#1re: Research Paper: 'History of Broadway'
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:36pm

Whatever happened to using books? You could probably use Broadway: The American Musical also. It is even broken up into segments.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#2re: Research Paper: 'History of Broadway'
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:43pm

You would definetly be best off using some of the many books on the subject. I would definetly recomend watching Broadway: The American Musical. Just search in a library or bookstore for American Theatre, or Broadway and you will be sure to find some great stuff.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

brdlwyr
#3re: Research Paper: 'History of Broadway'
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:44pm

The recent PBS special is an excellent source.

iTaLiAn xOx StAr
#4re: Research Paper: 'History of Broadway'
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:44pm

Thanks...I'll try to get a ride to the library :)

MargoChanning
#5re: Research Paper: 'History of Broadway'
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:50pm

Might I suggest you narrow your focus a bit? Just doing a thorough and comprehensive study of even the past 20 years of Broadway could easily fill hundreds of pages. There are recent books which only discuss the last 20 years of musicals (omitting straight plays entirely) that are nearly 300 pages. Focusing only on a single decade (the 30s, the 40s, etc... -- Ethan Mordden has written a series of books on the American musical, one for each decade of the century) or on a single playwright, composer or actor (Richard Rodgers, Eugene O'Neill, Ethel Merman, Stephen Sondheim) could easily fill dozens of pages.

There are lots of references online. Here's one of the best for the history of the musical:
http://www.musicals101.com/

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/26/05 at 04:50 PM

WOSQ
#6re: Research Paper: 'History of Broadway'
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:52pm

There wasn't much "Broadway" from 1800-1850.

But the first book you MUST find is called (aptly) Broadway and is by Brooks Atkinson. This was published in the late 60s or early 70s and has had many printing and editions. It ought to be in a library and/or used at abe.com.

I told my former department chair that he needed to use this book as a textbook for History of American Theatre. Before about 1965 or so Broadway was American Theatre. Regionals did not exist and all plays of stature came out of NY.

A history of Broadway is a huge topic. You may want to narrow it even further.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
Updated On: 1/26/05 at 04:52 PM

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#7re: Research Paper: 'History of Broadway'
Posted: 1/26/05 at 4:54pm

Great books that would work, that I highly recommend:
Ever After: The Last Years of Musical Theater and Beyond (Singer)
Broadway Musicals, Show By Show (Green)
Rebels with Applause (Miller)
Our Musicals, Ourselves: A Social History of American Musical Theatre (Jones)
Broadway Babies Say Goodnight (Steyn)
The Happiest Corpse I've Ever Seen: The Last 25 Years of the Broadway Musical (Mordden)
You could use ibdb.com for back- up, if you need it.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

iTaLiAn xOx StAr
#8re: Research Paper: 'History of Broadway'
Posted: 1/26/05 at 5:32pm

musicals101.com is eXaCtLy what I needed...Thanks!

Videos