Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips

jesseeinstein
#0Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 3:49pm

Actually this could work for any school but for me, I particullarly want CMU. I had a really great audition, but don't have the greatest grades. This is my dream school-it's actually perfect for me and I was wondering if anybody had any tips for pushing it that little bit extra to get in. Anyone? Thanks so much!
-Jesse

iluvtheatertrash
#1re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 3:53pm

Send a thank you card for the "lovely" interview and audition. It always wins hearts.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

jesseeinstein
#2re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 4:30pm

Done it already-I sent each auditor that I auditioned for a personal letter. Any other tips?

jesseeinstein
#3re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 5:20pm

anyone?

Broadway_freak Profile Photo
Broadway_freak
#4re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 6:16pm

If it's a male....flash him.

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#5re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 7:18pm

Hmmm...maybe calling and asking to check the status of your application to make sure it's complete and if they let you get a word in edge wise, rub in how much you adore their school? Just a thought...

Broadway_freak Profile Photo
Broadway_freak
#6re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 7:20pm

What a lovely idea Adoannie. Does your name have anything to do with the character in Oklahoma, if so did you know Kathy Voytko understudied that role. Kathy Voytko is the next Idina Menzel!!

jesseeinstein
#7re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 7:23pm

Good idea! I'll do that one tomorrow. Anything else? Does anyone know if alumni interviews help for the musical theater department?

jesseeinstein
#8re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 9:47pm

Would it help to send in a short video or cd even though Ive already auditioned?
-Jesse

superwoman108
#9re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:16pm

was it a musical theatre audition? Did you do it here in Pittsburgh? If it was MT, i'm assuming you auditioned for Gary, Tony and Judy? Let me know, i'll see what i can come up with. Though it can never hurt, i highly doubt the letters will help your chances (not for this school), it ALL about the talent (considering there are so so few that actually get accepted). What pieces did you audition with? The School of Drama here has a lot of personal biases here that they tend to frown upon/dismiss certain pieces. Best of luck though! This is an amazing place to be!

superwoman108
#10re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:23pm

also....no, the film or CD is a bad idea....you don't want to over do it. The faculty come back from these audition tours so burned out, and they really don't want to look at anything extra. They ask for exactly what they want to see, and don't need any more. Taking the advice about calling to check on your status couldn't hurt though.
No, alumni interviews do not help your chances at all (unless you happened to interview with a former Dramat). The school of drama admition process is COMPLETLY seperate from the rest of the university (although both the Drama School AND the university have to accept you individually).
Again, best of luck!

jesseeinstein
#11re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:28pm

I pmed you-what is your aim? or msn, whatever really:)
pm me! Thanks!!

breakneckspeed
#12re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:39pm

They have a meeting with the dance, voice and acting faculty after each of the audition sessions to discuss the auditioners. They are then put into piles of YES, MAYBE, and NO. That is done right after the audition session. So, really, it's already done -- just don't do silly things like harass them - sending in silly dance concert dvds, videos, cds, whatever - they never ever listen or watch them. They're just a nuisance. They do, however, appreciate a sincere thank you note. Good luck!

jesseeinstein
#13re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/27/05 at 11:50pm

breakneck-do you go there? What prgrm?

sfs1414
#14re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:04am

You need to just relax. You can suck up all you want, but if there are students who are better then you, they will get in. So just Chill and hope for the best.

jesseeinstein
#15re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:08am

If it were based purely on the audition, I think that I'm in(no tto sound stuck up) I just had a really great audition. It was my best one I think. My grades in school just aren't terrific cause I don't do my hmwrk-I much prefer to be directing and starring in my own shows(add that to already going to an arts school an you get a busy day). I want to know how to protray to them that I am also a hard worker.

breakneckspeed
#16re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 12:28am

It's great you had a good audition. But also remember there are about 1000 kids who audition every year, and a few of them probably had good auditions, too. They accept about 10-12 musical theatre majors each year. About half and half men to women.

Danny Profile Photo
Danny
#17re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 1:52am

Bottom line...give a good audition....
go to CCM! re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips

Danny Profile Photo
Danny
#18re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 1:52am

Bottom line...give a good audition....
go to CCM! re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips

jesseeinstein
#19re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 9:04am

Breakneck-that's the reason I want to know if there is anything I can do-tips, etc. That can set me ahead that extra bit. Now how much of a role would you say that grades in school have getting into CMU?

PJ
#20re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 1:28pm

I recently auditioned at CMU for theatre directing and I must say, without sounding like a snob, that my grades should be the only thing that keeps me out. Silly me for being an idiot and only having a 3.5 GPA.

jesseeinstein
#21re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 2:43pm

I thought that grades didn't matter as much for the musical theater program?

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#22re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 2:55pm

Maybe you should've done your hw....

PJ
#23re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 2:57pm

Grades matter. Trust me. And at CMU, like someone else said, you must be admitted into the university as well, not just the CFA.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#24re: Carnegie Mellon Acceptance Tips
Posted: 2/28/05 at 2:57pm

With a lot of schools (I almost went to CMU, and remember them being big on this) you can get a lot of brownie points for showing that you're realling interested. Call admissions with a question - not "when's my letter coming?" but a specific question about something you're interested in at the school. They log calls like that, and they want students who want them.

ETA - yes, CMU is really rough on grades. When I was there, the info session presentation had a big pie chart about how much grades/SATS/porfolios/auditions,etc count for, depending on which specific school you applied to. So, admissions are done pseudo-separately for each of the schools, Engineering, Performing Arts, Humanities and Sciences, whatever the particular names at CMU happen to be, I forget. Anyway, I vividly remember everyone going "oh, those musical theatre kids are so lucky, their grades don't count." Yes, your grades to count, but they tell you straight up at CMU that your audition is enormously overbearing. Yes, you have to get good grades, but if they love you and you have a B+ average, you may still get in. Normally, a B+ average won't get you into CMU alone.

ETA numero dos, since I just saw that Jesse asked about alumni interviews. Do it, just so you can show interest. They're big on alumni interviews there, because if I remember correctly, they don't do too many interviews with admissions staff.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 2/28/05 at 02:57 PM

Videos