DW Big River Review

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#0DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/3/05 at 6:35pm

I took a trip to Connecticut last night to see the Deaf West's production of Big River. I love this show, and after watching this production last night, I realised that I love it, no matter who does it. It brought back many memories for me, as I was Tom Sawyer many years ago. So, I am a little biased.

However...

I did find some of it a little odd, though, none of it had to do with the sign language.

#1 I like the songs as they are written, and was disappointed by the subtle changes of the score. I understand that it's probably to prevent confusion, but I missed the overlapping in the chorus numbers (Do You Wanna Get to Heaven and Nonesuch). All of a sudden, it became too simple for me, and I wasn't feeling those numbers.

#2 All of the songs felt rushed. The ballads were no longer ballads, as they all became uptempo, which took away the beauty of "River in the Rain", and "You Oughtta Be Here with Me". (Yet, my eyes always tear up when Jim sing "And a Mockinbird sings in the old yonder tree...")

#3 Some of the actor's were great, but there were other's I felt were "community theatre" actor's - and this was coming from the non-deaf ones.

The Duke was amazing.
Mark Twain was amazing.
So was Huckleberry Finn.

I was kind of disappointed to find out that Michael McElroy and Daniel Jenkins were not in this production, but was actually happy to hear GWen Stewart, again, after so many years. (Last time I saw her was in Rent)
Jim was good, had a great voice, but, honestly, I would have preferred McElroy, who will always be "Ernestine" to me.

Great show. Good production.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/3/05 at 6:42pm

Although it seems that I loved the production more than you did, I totally agree about the small musical changes - I don't understand why they were made, and it sounded less impressive. But I got over it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#2re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/3/05 at 9:04pm

I haven't seen the show other than Deaf West's production, so my only experience with another version is the OBC CD, but I see what you're saying in some instances.

Who did you see -- Zuercher, Monley, Solomon?

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#3re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 3:26am

Justice, I'm glad you enjoyed the Big River touring company.

Re: I understand that it's probably to prevent confusion, but I missed the overlapping in the chorus numbers

I supposed because they sign everything they say or sing, yes I think to avoid confusing by overlapping several different signing, I think some songs have been simplified. Still I love all the arrangement (orchestration?) during the show (non-singing background tune).

Yes, it's unfortunate that Dan Jenkins had to leave the company but he has a family in NYC and it's very hard for him to travel for a long period of time. I still miss him though. Yet, I think Adam is very talented and I'm so glad that he got Mark Twain's role. It's such a demanding role, nobody else (well perhaps Bill O'Brien) could pull it. I'm glad to hear that Garrett has grown into Huck. I have seen his performance twice and he is indeed very cute Huck.
Light To Shine fan site for Big River

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#4re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 9:53am

I saw it yesterday--the work between Adam and Garrett was flawless. I was really impressed by Adam's performance, which must have been so difficult. Does anyone know how old he is?

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#5re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:23am

>Does anyone know how old he is?

Ohhhh, you'll floor to find out how old(young) he is! BTW, he is my adopted son (j/k) along with Rod, Ty, Garrett, and Ben.

Adam is merely 26 yrs old! And looks just like Danny from the distance in the MT costume. Did you check out his stagedoor photo on my site? He is gorgeous and v. v. good looking and nice person off stage.
Light To Shine fan site for Big River

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#6re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 10:38am

I thought Adam would be young, as the Stagebill mentions he understudied the role of "Sky" in MamaMia! I could not find the picture on your site--which link do I hit?

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#7re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:18am

It's in Gallery page. Is my site (top page) hard to navigate? If you click any of the menu you are supposed to go to the page. I post the link to the gallery page. There is another pic of Adam on page 8 too.
Light To Shine Photo Gallery (Sacramento)

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#8re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:22am

This production will be playing the Ford's Theatre in DC starting next week. I definitely want to see it.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#9re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:24am

To clarify, the company that performs in Ford's Theatre is a different cast from the touring company (three actors from the tour joined DC company). Still, it's a DWT production so signing, direction, and music are all the same. You get to see Broadway cast Jim in DC, lucky you!

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#10re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:30am

Thanks for letting me know. How did you find out this information? Do you know who else will be in the cast?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#11re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:59am

The link worked perfectly this time--Adam IS so handsome. What a performance from someone so young. I also developed a crush on Benjamin Schrader--loved his crazy Tom Sawyer. What a great head of hair!

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#12re: DW Big River Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:21pm

Dottie, here is the link to the DC cast. I have to update the cast list on my site too.

https://www.nvrc.org/content.aspx?page=5631§ion=7

wendy72, isn't he good looking? Love love love him (well not as much as my Danny re: DW Big River Review
Ben is a cutie pie too. I love his Tom Sawyer.