News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review

SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice Profile Photo
SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice
#0Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:00am

Theater West put out a fine production of Ragtime in the wonderful city of Long Beach, no Snoop Dogg in sight anywhere. I sat in the last row of a smartly designed theater, Carpenter Theater on the campus of Cal State Long Beach, and was very impressed with the show.

Having never seen Ragtime I had pretty high expectations. The opening scene was magical, despite the umimpressive delivery of Little Boy in his opening lines, the tone was set for a good night of theater. The leading players held their own, especially David Jennings as Coalhouse Walker Jr and Younger Brother (sorry no name), the sets were adaquate, the direction was sharp.

I thought the show should get some ink. If you are interested in more info, send me a note.

"Bad theater is better than no theater" Some smart guy.

hedwig14 Profile Photo
hedwig14
#1re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:02am

I was thinking of checking this out. When is it running 'til?

SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice Profile Photo
SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice
#2re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 12:11am

It ended today...the run was a very good one. The producer said before the show that it was the most expensive show they have ever done, and the best grossing one also.

"Bad theater is better than no theater" Some smart guy.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#3re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:01am

Were you there today too? So was I, so lucky to have gotten a 4th row center seat, so I could really feel the excitement and passion of this show close up. I thought it was one of the finest "regional theater" productions I've ever seen. In fact, I felt I was seeing a show on Broadway, which I rarely feel even when a regional production is good. Spectacular performances by the always memorable David Jennings as Coalhouse, Eric Anderson a masterful Tateh, and the quite talented and also yummy Matthew Rocheleau as Younger Brother. Yes, I would have loved to see the originals Marin Mazzie as Mother and Audra MacDonald as Sarah, but Victoria Strong and Nicole Pryor did fine jobs each in these roles. Most of these performers (except David and Victoria) appeared a year ago in another production in Thousand Oaks, also directed by Paul David Bryant. That time I sat in the top balcony for Act 1 and it made a big difference this time sitting up close. The ensemble (which featured many well performed cameos) was top notch, and though the sets were simple, they didn't need to be anything more than what they were, a backdrop to powerful singing/acting/dancing. Ragtime. What a great show it is! I've been listening to the OBC recording these past two days and the music is dancing in my head even as I write this. Long Beach's Musical Theatre West also did an excellent She Loves Me earlier this season. Unfortunately I wasn't at all enthusiastic when next year's season was announced today: yet another King and I, Anything Goes (The Ahmanson will have the acclaimed London version this summer, so I'll pass on Long Beach's), and two "West Coast Premieres" which I've never heard of and don't sound interesting. So I guess I'll have to wait at least another year to see something there that really appeals to me. Anyway, for those in the L.A. area who missed this, you missed a good one!!!

hedwig14 Profile Photo
hedwig14
#4re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:19am

Well, this will teach me to quit procrastinating! I had hoped to see Ragtime, Evita and Miss Saigon this month and now I think I may have missed 2 out of 3 already.

AuBrie Profile Photo
AuBrie
#5re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 1:45am

I saw ragtime on saturday. I was also very impressed with the show. The cast was wonderful. David Jennings as Coalhouse was exceptionally good. The only critism I had was that although I loved younger brother's(Matthew Rocheleau) acting I found his singing didnt have the excitement that the obc younger brother had. There was nothing paticularly wrong with his singing it just didn't have the energy that his acting did.

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#6re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 2:06am

You're probably right about his singing. But he seemed so right for the part, I liked him just the same.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#7re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 3:36am

david jennings was great in the vegas production of notre dame de paris!

Feodor Sverdlov
#8re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 8:43am

Of course, Carpenter Theater was paid for by Karen and Richard Carpenter.

scooter3843

Sheri Profile Photo
Sheri
#9re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review
Posted: 3/7/05 at 11:24am

I was going to try to see this on my last trip out there. I didn't know David Jennings was in the cast! Had I known, I would've certainly tried harder to see it. re: Ragtime in Los Angeles - Review Thanks for your review.

Videos