New Poster/Question

Erica2 Profile Photo
Erica2
#0New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 8:48pm

Hi! I've been browsing this forum for a couple of months and think it's great. I have a question for anyone who would like to respond. My family and I are thinking of seeing a show on Easter Sunday. We'd like to see a play. Do you think Brooklyn Boy is worth seeing before it closes? We're also interested in The Glass Menagerie and Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?. Thanks for your help!

Yankeefan007
#1re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 8:51pm

u must be jewish (or someone who doesnt celebrate easter lol) for the jewish crowd, brooklyn boy is great...a lot of Yiddishkite in it....i enjoyed it a lot

Erica2 Profile Photo
Erica2
#2re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 8:54pm

No, we're Catholic, just bad Catholic's I guess! :)

Chrysanthemum62001
#3re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 8:54pm

Can I interest you in a musical?! re: New Poster/Question

But really, The Glass Menagerie is a play that I am very much looking forward to seeing.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL
Updated On: 3/16/05 at 08:54 PM

Joshua488
#4re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:21pm

Don't discourage people from seeing plays!!!

Musicals are great and all, but straight plays can sometimes be more fulfilling than a musical.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#5re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:22pm

Isn't "straight play" an oxymoron?

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Joshua488
#6re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:34pm

Okay, maybe I'm just slow, but I don't see it. Feel free to explain.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#7re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:38pm

"Brooklyn Boy" is a phenomenal play. I haven't seen "The Glass Menagerie" or "Virginia Woolf" yet, but I'm sure that they are very good, too.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#8re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:42pm

Virginia Wolff is great. But it's very heavy, yet funny. It's Albee - which means you should know what you're getting into before seeing any of his shows. (The film with Liz Taylor and Sandy Dennis was on the other night)

As for the Glass Menagerie. It's pretty simple. Tennesse Williams. You can't really go wrong with that. But I find his work to be too low key for me.

I can't comment on Brooklyn Boy because it does not appeal to me.

I hear Doubt is good.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#9re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 9:56pm

"Doubt" is amazing, as is "Democracy".

lightmycandle36
#10re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/16/05 at 10:43pm

I loved "The Glass Menagerie" and am a big fan of Tennessee Williams' work, so I would definitely recommend seeing that

Lamc16 Profile Photo
Lamc16
#11re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/17/05 at 4:19pm

See "Virginia Woolf." Nothing like an Albee play to brighten up your Easter Sunday :)

"You've gotta have a swine to show you where the truffles are."

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#12re: New Poster/Question
Posted: 3/17/05 at 4:50pm

I know someone who has seen Brooklyn Boy and GM--they enjoyed BB, GM not so much (they called it a poor production.)

I know someone who saw "Woolf" in Boston, and liked it very much. Hope that helps.

Videos