pixeltracker

can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked- Page 3

can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#50can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 4:22pm

I like Ana, but I'm STILL waiting for Karmine to do this...

vbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
#51can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/24/05 at 6:28pm

Not speaking as a fan of the show (I haven't seen it yet). I am excited for Chicago. It will give more exposure to "live" musical theatre and who in these forums wouldn't want that. Hopefully it will also boost the Chicago theatre community and the interest in the arts in general. I'm a local boy by the way and absolutely love theatre. I could not be more thrilled that we will have a sit-down here (is that the correct phraseology?). I hope other people here are somewhat excited too.

As long as this cast isn't compared to current and past cast members, I am sure they will be embraced by Chicago and have a very nice run here. IMO

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#52can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 3:04am

Stunt casting is NOT casting a well-known experienced theatrical performer (who happens to be a star) in a starring role. There is nothing STUNT about that. Stunt is casting a star with NO STAGE EXPERIENCE, simply to sell tickets. It is demeaning to Mr. Jackman to call his stellar turn in The Boy from Oz "stunt casting." It was casting a star in a starring role which he was eminiently qualified to play. Hugh Jackman gave a performance which would have won the Best Actor in a Musical Tony no matter what year he was nominated. Luckily for the producers, he was also a huge box office draw.

#53can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 9:38am

Absolutely VBPlayer- this is a huge coup for Chicago. If this is successful, we'll see a lot more of this. The hotels and resturants are already glowing over "Wicked" coming to town. Chicago is a MAJOR transportation hub and I think we'll see Wicked as one more draw that will get people to take a vacation in Chicago. The media coverage here has made it very clear- This will be a huge draw. I can't help but wonder if American Girl Place will create an Elphaba doll? I hope on opening night of this production, the city will die the river green in Elphaba's honor!

Switz78 Profile Photo
Switz78
#54can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 10:37am

as far as Ana being a name...
I would say if this were a sit-down in LA or Vegas or something than no she is not a name, but in CHICAGO Ana is a name. She went to Northwestern people and those NW alums and the big rich folks know who she is and will pay the money. I believe she went to Second City along with almost everyone else that has been on SNL and folks will come out. Hell a lot of suburbanites only have to hear that soemone went to Second City or started out in the area and they are there.

We should remember to never underestimate the draw and talent of a comedian. Who would have thought In Living Color would give us two great actors in Jim Carey and Jamie Fox? Certainly not me.

#55can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 2:46pm

I told myself I wouldn't get sucked into the "Ana Gasteyer, Superstar" debate again, but I can't help myself. Can anyone name a show she's been in here in Chicago? Nope. She has no following. She was a fairly anonymous player on SNL. She is one of literally THOUSANDS of people who claim a connection to Second City. Did she perform there? I haven't seen a single person talk about seeing her in a show. I am NOT disputing her talent (Haven't seen her perform yet-- like everyone else) but she is NOT a name draw. Those of you who say she has a following in Chicago, please list the shows she's been and the box office heat she was able to generate.

bwaybaby891
#56can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 2:53pm

I'm not sure if she has the voice either. I hope she does. It will be great for threatre if this company is good. THe more exposure, the better.

"He who falls in love with himself will have no rivals" -Benjamin Franklin
Updated On: 3/25/05 at 02:53 PM

aliceripleysnumber1 Profile Photo
aliceripleysnumber1
#57can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 3:10pm

I'm surprised at some of these negative responses to Ana's casting as Elphie. I was thrilled when I heard about it. I saw her perform in Rocky Horror, and I thought she was outstanding...her voice really surprised me. I saw Joan Jett play Columbia when it first opened, and was REALLY not happy with her performance...but when I went back and saw Ana, I was very impressed. I think she'll be a great Elphie.

Fosse76
#58can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 3:38pm

She IS NOT a name in Chicago. I'm from Chicago (until next week when I move to New York). I've never heard of her. I have mentioned her name to a lot of people here. No one seems to no who she is. In fact, Chicago audiences are VERY discerning with celebrities in live theatre. If they aren't known for theatre work, then they don't have a healthy box office (unless its well reviewed and has good word-of-mouth). Christina Applegate certainly wasn't breaking any box office records, that's for sure. Even Faye Dunaway was hard-pressed to sell-out "Master Class" when she toured with it.

Switz78 Profile Photo
Switz78
#59can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 4:54pm

Actually I'm from Chicago too and it is my opinion that among the northern suburbs and with the supporters of Northwestern she is a draw. I'm not saying that she will be packing them in in droves, but she is known and has performed in comedy clubs in Chicago.
No, I didn't go to Northwestern either, but got an e-mail from a student currently there and it is a big deal.

Will she fill the seats anymore than John Lithgow (who is a name correct?) did with Sweet Smell of Success probably, will she sell as many as Nathan and Matthew did with the Producers, HELL NO!
To say that no one knows her means people are living under a rock and never watched tv or seen a movie in their lives.
She was pretty well known on SNL and to say that she was a bit player is ridiculous. Tracy Morgan was a bit player, the 3 featured folks now are bit players, but Ana was always on with Will and Cheri and Molly and is way better than Rachel Dratch who I have seen on Second City TV in Chicago and she just sucks.

Fosse76
#60can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 5:20pm

I disagree. She is know among the Northwestern community for obvious reasons. There are few SNL castmembers that actually have a name enough for people to know who they are. She is not one of them. At least not in Chicago. If it really were stunt casting, then there would definitely have a big deal about the casting. There wasn't. She was mentioned, mainly, because she's the star of the show. She was introduced along with two other Chicago actors. But she certainly isn't a name that people in Chicago would run out to the box office for. "Wicked" is in such demand that it really wouldn't matter.

aliceripleysnumber1 Profile Photo
aliceripleysnumber1
#61can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 6:02pm

I'm kind of surprised that more people do not know who Ana Gasteyer is....She was on SNL for many seasons. I just moved from Chicago a few months ago...I knew who she was. She's not known for musical theatre, but the name should still sound familiar to people, I would think???
Updated On: 3/25/05 at 06:02 PM

#62can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/25/05 at 6:05pm

Thanks Fosse, you are spot on. I haven't seen any of the "Ana Gasteyer, Superstar" folks name any of the shows that she appeared in- and that is because they can't. There aren't any.

Wicked is the star here, folks. The media coverage was huge- it was even on the front page of the daily papers! And who's playing Glinda? I can't wait!

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#63can gastayer sing it? chicago casting of Wicked
Posted: 3/26/05 at 12:00am

I'm not sure if anyone else knew this so I won't post it separatly but if you haven't heard ana there is a small clip of her singing a song from hair on broadway.com
Here: http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Video.aspx?ci=501221
that should work...it's about half way through...and it's her own song so I'm assuming it's on the cd solo too if anyone has got theirs yet!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...