Actor Bashing

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#25re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 12:50pm

And next time you're in town, etoile, I'll show you my box.

FULL of accolades.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#26re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 12:54pm

I think I have some certificates around here somewhere for something.
Impressed, Etoile? I know better than to try and impress Robbie, he just smirks and says something catty and moves on.
Well, all I have to say is, "Robbiej, my dead grandmother could do your cabaret better!"
I mean that with love, of course. And because I think I'm better than you.

JbaraFan1
#27re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 12:56pm

Craig, bravo! You rock!

As for *constructive* and well-thought out criticism of an actor's work, and I'd add to that: comments about how they behave are with fans in public situations (stage door; public appearances) ... that just goes along with the job, and I'd think any of them accept that type criticism and comment and in fact often welcome it. But when it becomes personalized, especially by those who don't know them ... when, as Craig says, words like "hate" are thrown around, that's an entirely different story.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#28re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 1:22pm

I think a well-thought out and unbiased critique or review is perfectly ok. Opinions about performers and shows are also ok, afterall this is a message board. However, I do have a problem with bashing for the sake of bashing and bashing to create a stir.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#29re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 1:30pm

and I'd add to that: comments about how they behave are with fans in public situations (stage door; public appearances).

In all due respect, stage door etiquette is a very subjective matter. Fans are not created equal and neither are performers. LOL! Some fans are abnoxious or simply feel they are "owed" a certain behavior by performers.

Without getting into the dreaded "stage door" debate, I will add that actors that are friendly or enjoy meeting fans at the stage door increase their popularity with fans and it is often a wise choice professionally to do so. BUT...not all actors agree and those who shy away from the public after a show should not be considered unfriendly or rude. It's a personal choice. You pay for what you see onstage, not off. However, those actors who choose to greet the public are wise to be cordial and not rude. Scheduled public appearances should always be treated professionally. Again, just my views.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"
Updated On: 4/27/05 at 01:30 PM

JbaraFan1
#30re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:24pm

PB, yes, I agree with you ... I should clarify that I meant those actors who do choose to meet and greet after a show at the stage door, not to say that they are obliged or should automatically be expected to do so. They give their all to their audience in their performance and anything past that is a bonus and should never be something that is just expected. Thanks for helping me clarify my points. Love the Lucy avatar, btw. :)

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#31re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:28pm

Bravo, Craig. HUGE difference between criticism and bashing. And believe me that performers DO hear back on the things that are typed here. This isn't a private conversation. This IS mixed company.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#32re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:32pm

'And because I think I'm better than you.'

Honey, you are being unkind. Why take a shot at me when I've allowed you to live in your delusions for as long as you've needed.

It's ok, Jan...you'll make the cheerleading squad next year!

One, Two, tell me who are you, the bears!

re: Actor Bashing

#33re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 2:36pm

I remember a saying my mother always said

Those Who Can DO
Those Who Can't are Critics.

I for one have been known to voice my opinion about something and as I try to take someone else opinion I also realize that
A> this is a board and some people may just be doing to ruffle feathers
B> Take it for what its worth
and
C> Opions are like A**h***s, we all have one and sometimes they stink.

But if ANY OF YOU SUCKERS SAYS ANYTHING ABOUT MY LINDA EDER.. WELL THAT'S THEM FIGHTING WORDS. (lol)

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#34re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 3:24pm

JbaraFan~ I was hoping we were on the same page with that thought. Most actors are happy for the support and do hang out for signings most of the times.

(Speaking of Bara, when I was walking out to put my $ in his BCEFA basket after the show, a lady behind me put in a sizable donation and insisted on trying to get a playbill signed on the spot. Greg was gracious (and so charming I might add), and said he'd be happy to at the stage door. The woman was indignant and began complaining as soon as she walked away. THIS is the type of fan, no one needs.)

Hey Jon, Linda is too dang tall...she's frightening in heels! :)

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#35re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 3:27pm

because Ben Brantly has all the expierence under the sun and def. has the knowledge to review shows... he's a 'pro'

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

JbaraFan1
#36re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 3:42pm

PB, thanks for the Greg story ... that sounds like him. He is gracious to a fault, and I am not surprised that he handled that situation the way in which he did. Sounds like he did the best he could with a situation created by an inconsiderate person.

etoile
#37re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:06pm

Wait a minute, Robbie and Bwaysinger, are you suggesting that someone who claims to have awards in a box may be just trying to impress unsuspecting readers? So when this person repeatedly post unflattering remarks about a performer with legitmate Broadway credits, and then likens her performance to community theatre, then possibly this poster is just displaying a grandious sense of self-worth.

But...but...isn't that a trait of a.....oh, what's the term I'm looking for? No need to answer.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#38re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:20pm

What IS the word...I'm drawing a blank!

iluvtheatertrash
#39re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:24pm

A lot of people here have a background.

I have a strong musical background:
-private voice and piano lessons for 13 years

as well as a strong musical theater background:
-took private classes until the 11th grade when I transferred to a performing arts high school on Long Island (Nassau BOCES) for 11th and 12th grade and have been beforming since age five.

Don't be so quick to judge.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

got-a-light Profile Photo
got-a-light
#40re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:24pm

Most critics aren't actors or performers and they make a living critiquing actors and performances. If you're paying $100 to see someone sing and act you have a right to critique them if you want to.

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#41re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:26pm

re: Actor Bashing

Am I warm?

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#42re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:27pm

I was thinking sociopath...but that works too!

Dude...that pig is SO CLOCKWORK ORANGE!!!

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#43re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:34pm

I'm sure it's a sociopathic, award-winning pigman, though, Robbiej.
Who is far better than you. Just like I am far better than you.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#44re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:39pm

keep suffering under that delusion, honey!

btw...do you have a video of any performance of yours you could send me?

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#45re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:40pm

Yes. Yes, I do.
I will also show you my certificate for coming in third runner-up in the annual county fair 1986 semi-professional singer/hog-tie contest.
I know you placed 4th runner up, b*tch.

etoile
#46re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:42pm

Wait a minute, isn't also characteristic of a sociopath someone who is parasitic? So he would never spend $100 on a ticket. He would just talk someone else into buying tickets for him.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
Updated On: 4/27/05 at 04:42 PM

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#47re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:43pm

*waits outside box office of Charity for Etoile to show up*

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#48re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:48pm

I didn't read this thread's original purpose as telling posters that they shouldn't critique a performance. I read it as "why do posters feel they have the right to BASH actors?"

Example of the Bash versus Critique difference:

Bashing: "Bobbie and Ciento haven't had an original concept in years"

Critiquing: "I saw Footloose and thought the staging was unoriginal and the direction was lacking focus"

See the difference? I do, but many others on this board feel bashing IS critiquing, even when a performance has yet to be seen. It's discouraging to see so many theater fans bash the actors, directors and choreographers with generalized statements such as "uggh....Applegate couldn't act her way out of a box" or " Bobbie is a boob". That's not critiquing, and that's what the original poster is trying to point out.

I am all for critiquing performances that have been SEEN. The bashing however, is unprofessional and unwarranted.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#49re: Actor Bashing
Posted: 4/27/05 at 4:50pm

Well, but critiquing without backing it up with WHYs is part of the problem.
You can be critical all day but if you say, "the direction was lax and unfocused," no one really knows what you mean by that.