POTO Now on DVD

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#25re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 8:20pm

Still not done(took a break for Idol) but I really liked the cut song(Learn to be Lonely with diff. lyrics). First of all, after watching the movie again, I knew I couldn't find my icon anywhere in the whole movie--finally realized why--it came from the cut song. In this sense the song was more purposeful in the plot and I feel developed the Phantom's character more. He's the character(at least I) care about most and I thought it would have been a good idea to visit inside his head. Even if they were disappointed with some of the lyrics, they could have worked on that more instead of changing it into a credit song. Oh well.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Becky
#26re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 8:23pm

I went to two different stores trying to find the double-disc edition - and at both places the supply of the regular disc was diminishing quickly....and there was only one double-disc copy left after I picked mine up. The lady at the checkout counter even commented about how they were almost out. Made me smile that it's selling well (at least around here!) re: POTO Now on DVD

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#27re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 10:18pm

Is Emmy Rossum's screen test available in the Region 1 2-Disc set? And if so, how do you access it? Thanks in advance.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#28re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 10:20pm

I think that's just on the U.K. edition.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#29re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 10:26pm

Iam quite excited to pick this up. I better do it soon...

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

Becky
#30re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 10:50pm

Is Emmy Rossum's screen test available in the Region 1 2-Disc set?

I haven't watched all the features yet - but so far I've seen a clip of her singing "Think of Me" from her screen test.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#31re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 10:55pm

oooh! Awesome! I thought it was only on the U.K. version but now I'll rush quicker for the DVD!

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#32re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 11:11pm

That's only a snippet of Emmy Rossum's screen test in one of the "Making of" featurettes, where she sings the opening lines of THINK OF ME. What I wanted to see is her full screen test, which I guess isn't available in the Region 1 release.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#33re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/3/05 at 11:31pm

I JUST BOUGHT MINE!!!!!!

Chrysanthemum62001
#34re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:31am

Got it!!! re: POTO Now on DVD

I haven't watched it yet, though!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#35re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/4/05 at 1:47am

found me a copy at wal-mart, ... that documentary was fu*king awesome! the sydmonton festival footage was great and the production film from the original London production and then the different cast, not sure which one it was, but they were great too. never thought I'd get to see footage of Colm Wilkonson in the original. woah. and what about that cape! yikes. anyway, yeah, that documentary was worth the money alone. and I'll never get over how sexy Gerard is in this movie. *drools*

wickedrentq
#36re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/4/05 at 3:02am

"and I'll never get over how sexy Gerard is in this movie. "

How can you and why would you want to anyway?

Watched all the features except the DVD-rom one, having trouble with my computer, grrr. I do think that for 2 discs they could have added a bit more but I am still quite grateful for the features they had. I agree, the documentary on the stage show was great, and I actually really loved seeing the crew run the show and all the work they have to put into it all the turning and such. So many people in the theatre work so hard, usually uncredited at least by the public.

The making of the movie was adequate, of course I knew I was gonna want more but they did cover everything though slightly briefly. A couple interesting bits-the bit of Emmy's screen test(she was 16-she looked/sounded so young but cute!), bits of Gerry's make-up being applied(poor guy had to sit there for awhile). I didn't realize Jennifer Ellison had such an accent. More I can say on this but I'm tired, maybe I'll post it tomorrow.

Ooh and CATS, if you're interest in seeing Colm as the Phantom, he plays him in what is now on video "Hey Mr. Producer," a tribute to Cameron Mackintosh. I'm pretty sure they show most of "Phantom of the Opera" and "Music of the Night."

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

eatlasagna
#37re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/4/05 at 5:18am

did any of you guys find the easter egg on Disc 2... it's freaking hillarious... it shows all of the cast and crew of the movie singing THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA... ALL verses!!! it's quite funny hearing these people sing WAAAAAY out of tune... like i said... it's on disc 2... i found it by accident... just keep hitting the down arrow and you'll eventually highlight something to the immediate left of the CD-ROM note at the bottom...

DTBG2
#38re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/4/05 at 5:31am

OMG...just watched the Cast and Crew SINGALONG also! So hilarios...those brits are a bit out of tune...horrible, it was cool to see Emmy and Gerard getting in on the fun!

yeah, if anyone wants to see it on their 2 disc special addition but dont know where to look, its the little emblem that highlights that is next to the "For additional special features insert this dvd into your pc's dvd-rom drive" Its amusing....good for a couple chuckles..

DTBG2
#39re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/4/05 at 5:33am

by the way, its an hour and a half past midnight, here where i live...and i am still watching phantom of the opera....any one else been watching it all day, and through the night like i have?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#40re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/4/05 at 12:42pm

I also found the cast and crew sing-a-long to "The Phantom of the Opera". OMG that was frikin' hilarious!!! best part by far was Joel singing to Gerard "My power over you..." HA!!! it's an easter egg, I guess, as it is sort of hidden, but it's not that hard to find. hilarious. simply hilarious.

wickedrentq
#41re: POTO Now on DVD
Posted: 5/4/05 at 2:16pm

Thanks for the tip, I'm watching it as soon as I sign off! And DB, I watched it all day yesterday too-the movie then all the features and then I tried to watch the DVD-rom features but my computer doesn't have a DVD-rom so I ended up really mad and didn't go to bed till 4 in the morning. Oopsy.

Videos