Cast albums to purchase?

centerstage01 Profile Photo
centerstage01
#0Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/15/05 at 11:47pm

I'm looking for new cast albums to buy and wonder what people think are the best ones to come out within the last few years? I'm planning on buying "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels", "Spamalot", "Light In The Piazza", and maybe "Spelling Bee". Which others would be recommended in your opinions?

"What might have been/can live again/I'll meet you then/if you'll remember when...." --Rupert Holmes

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#1re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 12:04am

tick, tick...BOOM!, Rent, Hairspray, Assassins, Wild Party, The Full Monty, Pippin, A Chorus Line, Cabaret, Into the Woods...

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

theatreboi11
#2re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 12:10am

Wicked, Avenue Q, Producers, Bare, Zanna, Don't, Brooklyn, Aida, Nine

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#3re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 12:17am

How could I forget "The Last 5 Years"?! And if you like a light, fluffy, pretty show with a marvelous leading lady, get Thoroughly Modern Millie. Also, the recent Actors' Fund Benefit recording of Hair is fantastic!

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

charliebrownkid Profile Photo
charliebrownkid
#4re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 12:26am

my favorites... Parade, You;re A Good Man Charlie Brown

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#5re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 12:26am

I hope you have Les Mis

Juliet2170 Profile Photo
Juliet2170
#6re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 12:30am

Altar Boyz!

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#7re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 2:03am

Would help if you could tell us what ones you already have, which are your favourites and which ones you do not like.

Obviously recent Tony winners for best score: AVENUE Q, URINETOWN, HAIRSPRAY, PRODUCERS, PARADE, and RAGTIME would be pretty good bets.

Off Broadway musicals of recent seasons have been far more interesting and adventurous: TICK TICK BOOM, BAT BOY, A MAN NO IMPORTANCE,and MY LIFE WITH ALBERTINE.

Sadly, shows from the Brodway masters have been less frequent the paast few years. The last Kander & Ebb show to reach Broadway and get recorded was STEEL PIER. Sondheim's BOUNCE didn't reach Broadway but they made a fine CD using the Washington cast. Cy Coleman's THE LIFE is best enjoyed on RCA Victor's various artists CD, but it has been deleted.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

centerstage01 Profile Photo
centerstage01
#8re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 11:13pm

I love anything from Sondheim, so I've got almost all his shows, except for The Frogs, which I plan on getting eventually.

I have these:

tick, tick...BOOM!, Assassins, The Full Monty, A Chorus Line, Cabaret, Chicago, Into the Woods, Wicked, Producers, Aida, The Last 5 Years, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Parade, You're A Good Man Charlie Brown, Les Mis, Ragtime, Steel Pier, 1776, Kiss Me Kate, Phantom, A Little Night Music, Passion, john & jen, Company, Sweeney Todd, Merrily We Roll Along, and quite a few others.

But I think the last cast album I bought was Wicked, and I know I haven't gotten many recent shows within the last two or three years. I did get Urinetown when it first came out, but ended up selling it to someone else because I just couldn't get into it. Hairspray didn't interest me at the time when I gave it a sample listen in the store, and I'm not sure what to think about Avenue Q. I probably should have given them another shot, but I also didn't want to spend money on something I'd never listen to, either.

I like hearing reviews about CD's because then I know which ones to avoid like the plague and which ones to hurry up and pre-order. LOL

"What might have been/can live again/I'll meet you then/if you'll remember when...." --Rupert Holmes

#9re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/16/05 at 11:26pm

Caroline, Or Change

Nine w/Chita Rivera and some guy from Spain.

The Life OBC

Dreamgirls OBC

Gypsy w/ Tyne Daly ( I favorite it slightly over Angie's Gypsy. But either will do.)

Bajour OBC(This is a lot of fun! And not just because it has Chita in it)

City Of Angels OBC

Dear World OBC, Mame OBC, Sweeney Todd OBC

Sweet Charity OBC

Song And Dance OBC

Sunset Boulevard w/ Patti Lupone

Anything Goes w/ Patti Lupone

Little Shop of Horrors OBC

Oliver w/ Jonathan Pryce (Might be out of print)

A Little Night Music OLC 1976

The Rink OBC

These are the cast albums that I can listen to without using the next or fast forward button. They are a joy from start to finish.

Updated On: 5/16/05 at 11:26 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#10re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/17/05 at 2:48am

Chita's list is excellent and covers many of the ones I would have suggested.

I personally much prefer Ethel Merman in GYPSY over all the others. Even if you don't like her "belt" it just seems so right for the role, and the recording is electric from the first cymbal crash of the Overture.

Since you already have a fairly good base collection, how about exploring some of the more unusual shows: William Finn's FALSETTOS, Frank Loesser's THE MOST HAPPY FELLA, Jerry Herman's MACK AND MABEL. Maybe some of the older shows: KISMET or THE NEW MOON. For pure silly fun try the 1971 revival cast of NO NO NANETTE.

Or just start with THE ACT and keep going until you get ZORBA!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

#11re: Cast albums to purchase?
Posted: 5/17/05 at 7:31am

Yes Frontrow , how could I forget Mack and Mabel, The Act and The Most Happy Fella! Abondanza!

Videos