Help with dance questions

nztheatreluva Profile Photo
nztheatreluva
#0Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:05am

Okay, my sister does dance at school and she has to do an assignment about a dance genre that she chooses and she's doing dance in Musical Theatre. I was just wondering whether anyone knows of any websites that could help her answer these questions:

1. Where did your chosen dance form originate? Outline the history of your chosen dance form

2. Describe some of the characteristics of your chosen dance form. What are some of the steps(or styles of dance) it is based on?(I know, how do you narrow it down?)

3. Who are some of the main people who developed this dance form? Choose one of these people and describe how they have influenced and shaped this dance form

4. Where is your chosen dance form used and practised today?

So if any of you could help out with some websites that would be brilliant.
Thanks!

J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci.............

Whiteguy2088 Profile Photo
Whiteguy2088
#1re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:11am

Learn about Fosse

FosseBoi
#2re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:39am

WHITEGUY!!!!!!You beat me to it! *points to name*

Bob Fosse
Agnis De Mille(SP?)
Jerome Robbins

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Whiteguy2088
#3re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:39am

=)

FosseBoi
#4re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:40am

SORRY! My computers screwed up!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
Updated On: 5/18/05 at 01:40 AM

FosseBoi
#5re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:40am

SORRY! My coputers screwed up!

Updated On: 5/18/05 at 01:40 AM

Jazzysuite82
#6re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:42am

wow three posts. There is also the importance of Gower Champion and Micheal Bennett

Whiteguy2088
#7re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:45am

Chosen Step:

JAZZ HANDS!

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#8re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 1:45am

I was thinking Fosse also

Fosse
Slither
and Jazz Hands

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

Jazzysuite82
#9re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 2:07am

slither?

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#10re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 9:40am

Check out the Oxford Dictionary of Dance at any library. (I have one just for those types of things)

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#11re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/18/05 at 9:40am

Check out the Oxford Dictionary of Dance at any library. (I have one just for those types of things)

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

badkarma719 Profile Photo
badkarma719
#12re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/22/05 at 2:45am

when I did Chicago about 2 years ago we called a step the slither step I describe it as the lady the matshans make on Mars attacks durring the run of the show in dance call we worked on our (it was in Roxie)

Fosse
Slither
and Jazz Hands

In the words of the great MargoChanning "Broadwayworld.com -- Your One Stop on the Internet for All Things Broadway, Nasty Political Discussions, Meltdowns, Name-Calling and General Nonsense along with being a Premiere Pick-up Joint for Hotties, Shut-ins, Rambunctuous Teenagers With Bad Grammar, and All Manner of Bitter, Jaded Theatre Queens with WAY Too Much Time on Their Hands"?

kateerin Profile Photo
kateerin
#13re: Help with dance questions
Posted: 5/24/05 at 4:54pm

a fantastic site for all MT research is www.musicals101.com

"If your wanting a beginner, I shan't do..."

Videos