The Beauty Queen of Leenane

Jezebel Profile Photo
Jezebel
#0The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:12pm

I was wondering if any posters had seen the Broadway production of 'The Beauty Queen of Leenane' in the late 90s - and if anybody would be so kind as to share a couple of their thoughts on the play, and in particular the performances of Brian F.O'Byrne and Anna Manahan. I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#1re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:25pm

I saw this show and to this day consider it one of the best theatrical experiences of my life. Anna Manahan & Marie Mullen's performances were beyond words.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Gothampc
#2re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:49pm

I saw it. It was an excellent play, very gut wrenching. Anna Manahan was fabulous.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Jezebel Profile Photo
Jezebel
#3re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:50pm

Thank you both. I've read the play and loved it, but I've never seen it performed. I actually passed Anna Manahan on the street yesterday, which got me thinking about it!
Updated On: 5/25/05 at 04:50 PM

mandy2loveRB
#4re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 4:56pm

I saw it, and also I saw The Lonesome West. Brian O'Byrne's part was better in The Lonesome West (obviously), and he was incredible, too. It was a shame it was a very short run.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#5re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 6:42pm

A brilliant, exhilirating work of theatre. I seriously believe that Martin McDonagh is the best playwright working today.

Ellie3
#6re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 7:23pm

Anna Manahan and Marie Mullen both won Tonys for it, right? But whatever happened to them? I know Brian F.O'Byrne is still going strong, so how come Anna and Marie have disappeared?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#7re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 8:21pm

"Anna Manahan and Marie Mullen both won Tonys for it, right? But whatever happened to them? I know Brian F.O'Byrne is still going strong, so how come Anna and Marie have disappeared?"

Yes, both won well deserved Tonys. Tom Murphy also won for Best Featured Actor, and Garry Hines for Best Director of a Play. The show itself lost Best Play to ART, though (a travesty, IMHO).

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#8re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:28pm

I saw the production the Denver Center did in 1999, starring Kathleen M. Brady and Robin Moseley. It's become one of my favorite plays. I'll never forget the way the entire audience gasped after Maureen's big monologue in the second act...

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

JSousa Profile Photo
JSousa
#9re: The Beauty Queen of Leenane
Posted: 5/25/05 at 11:33pm

What is it about. A local theater is doing it next session. What ages are the characters? Any help is cool. So far what I have read is that the show rocks, but I still dont know any plot.

"This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Videos