pixeltracker

The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread

The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#0The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 12:08pm

As mentioned here on BroadwayWorld, Rick Lyon will be exiting from Avenue Q on July 3rd. https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=3511
As I’m sure most Q fans and Q~tips know, Mr. Lyon was THE original cast member of Avenue Q. He designed and constructed the puppet characters we have come to love and has been with the show for almost five years.

I went to see a Q matinee on September 11th of last year. Being the little Q~tip I am, I waited at the stagedoor to thank the cast for another fantastic show. When Mr. Lyon came out, I not only thanked him for a great performance, but also for responding to my fan letter I sent him via e-mail. (I’d also like to mention that the man responded within the DAY I sent it!) He looked right at me and said “Why didn’t you say you were ________?!” The shock of him knowing my name based on the letter I sent was meet by even more shock with the next question: “Do you want to go backstage?”

I have to say that the best part about being invited backstage was not meeting John Tartaglia and having a private one-on-one conversation with him. It was not being able to see the puppets on their racks and asking Mr. Lyon questions on their development from the first workshops to their current Broadway versions. It was not even being taken onstage of the Golden Theatre, standing on Broadway for 2 minutes, when it has been my dream since I was 7 years old to be on Broadway.

The very best part of going backstage of Avenue Q was being taken to the dressing rooms and seeing my fan mail tacked on the walls and my fan art taped on their mirrors. It took every ounce of strength I had in me not cry at the time, although I must admit I still get teary when I think about it.

When my little VIP tour was done, I just gave Mr. Lyon a hug. There aren’t words worthy enough to thank this incredible man who gave this little girl from Florida the best day of her life. My only regret is that I cannot be there on July 3rd to thank him for not only what he did for me that one day, but for the joy that Q has given me and continues to bring me everyday.

Farewell Mr. Lyon and thank you The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread

Raggy Q poo
#1re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 12:13pm

broadwaystar2b, that made me cry

People like you are the reason I'm on medication.
Updated On: 6/7/05 at 12:13 PM

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#3re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 2:24pm

A shameless *bump* for this incredible man re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Playbill Article

QtKt Profile Photo
QtKt
#4re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:14pm

Oh, star2b! That was sweet! re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Rick Lyon is such a great guy, I wish him all the best!
Working on getting tickets to his last show..

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#5re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:38pm

Do you guys think that he wants to stay with the show??????

Raggy Q poo
#6re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:50pm

Well, in the article he says he may go to Vegas so maybe he wants a chage of scenery or something

BwayTheatre11
#7re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:53pm

Does he live outside of Manhattan? When I saw the show, he was in too big of a hurry to catch a bus, so didn't sign.

It was honor catching him in this show...in a way, HIS SHOW.

CCM '10!
Updated On: 6/7/05 at 03:53 PM

jaded_october Profile Photo
jaded_october
#8re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 3:53pm

aw, wow. that was so touching.. im going to see him on the 18th (day before my birthday!)

maybe i should write him a letter too? haha.

he's a great guy and he will be missed, a whole hell of a lot.

-annie http://www.livejournal.com/users/jadedoctober http://www.myspace.com/jadedoctober

QtKt Profile Photo
QtKt
#9re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:05pm

It would be great to see him out in Vegas, he probably is going..

Jon
#10re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 5:19pm

Brilliant talent, but he really needs to do something about the comb-over. He's the Donald Trump of Broadway!

Therese
#11re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 7:00pm

Rick Lyon had me at, "Oh, HI, ROD!"

"If You Were Gay" was the song that made me run out and buy the "Q" cast album, and Nicky was at once my favorite character (not surprisingly, since I always loved Ernie on SS). It was a very short trip from "Hey, he's talented," to "Hey, he's cute," to "Oh, he's so wonderful!" re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread Roaming his website made me realize just how multi-talented he is. (Also smart, funny, and charming. And cute.) I've never met him, so my stories aren't as exciting as some, but last summer, I got up the nerve to fan-email him and flat out told him that I thought he was adorable and sexy and I had a huge crush on him. He was very kind about it, said he was very flattered, and wrote a really nice, chatty reply to my non-crushy comments about the cast album, seeing the cast perform on TV, etc. He's been nothing but nice to this embarrassing fangirl, and I truly appreciate it.

Oh, and you'll notice that I finally switched over to my "Matinee Idol Rick" avatar. re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread

"In my own little corner..."

iRuvPrinceton Profile Photo
iRuvPrinceton
#12re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/05 at 9:29pm

*bumping this thread*

This man is awesome. I want him to stay! He holds Avenue Q together!

I get lost, unless, of course, I'm getting found.

Therese
#13re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/8/05 at 7:35am

I love this quote from Rick, from the article:

“I am SUCH an unlikely guy to end up in a Broadway musical – I am NOT the type of person people expect to see onstage, and for the last 17 years I've strictly been a puppeteer. But the community of actors has been so accepting and generous to me – it's meant so much, I hope I can maintain some of those ties.”

It is exactly that sweet, self-effacing attitude that makes me want to hug him and tell him how great he is. re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread

"In my own little corner..."

MissNY
#14re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/8/05 at 10:32am

I hope everyone is going out to buy their tickets for his last show!

Some replacement news, Christian Anderson will be replacing Rick and Leo Daignault with be replacing Peter as the main Nicky/Trekkie and Brian understudy

gavrochegirl
#15re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/8/05 at 10:56am

Awwww....so sweet....

You know...Rick Lyon...will always...remind me of...

Cookie Monster...well, at least his Trekkie voice reminds me of him.

What the puck?!

Raggy Q poo
#16re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/8/05 at 2:26pm

Sorry for the sorta off-topic but would somebody be so kind in telling me how to address somebody at the Golden Theatre and also give me the address?
Is it C/O the Goldren Theatre or C/O the actor/actress?

Thanks?

BoardLurker
#17re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/8/05 at 3:27pm

Leo is only a temporary sub. Linz's permanent replacement is Matt Schreiber - who was, until this, the AVENUE Q casting director's assistant and audition reader.

MissNY
#18re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/8/05 at 3:32pm

The address to send Q fanmail to is:

Cast Member's Name
c/o Avenue Q
Golden Theater
252 West 45th Street
New York, NY 10036

Raggy Q poo
#19re: The Rick Lyon Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/8/05 at 3:33pm

Thank you MissNY

Videos