Blood Brothers

ess2484 Profile Photo
ess2484
#0Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:14pm

I saw the current production in London. WHile I thought the material was really promising, I thought the production was cheesy and shoddy. I was wondering what people thought about the chances of a B-way revival. I know it was on B-way about 10 years ago.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#1re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:17pm

No way. It bombed here.

While the book is fairly interesting, the music is repetitive...and it's just so darn BRITISH.

:0)

The show would totally invite really bad English accents in the U.S., don't you think?

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#2re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:19pm

Too soon. It had a substantial run with several stars including Petula Clark, Carole King, Helen Reddy, David and Shaun Cassidy. I doubt that the material deserves a first class revival just yet.

Gothampc
#3re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:37pm

Bernadette, Patti and Betty are all sitting around doing nothing. One of them can take the role on.

Actually I think it should be put in an off-Broadway house where it can be done in an intimate setting.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ess2484 Profile Photo
ess2484
#4re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:08pm

I agree. I think it might work in an off-bway house. Although I also agree that it would invite bad Liverpool accent.

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#5re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/17/05 at 7:07am

The show ran just a little over two years on Broadway - not that much of a bomb!

I agree that the production in London is looking a little tired now - the set appears to be holding the theatre up as well, which is never good. I think it needs to close, and maybe come back into London in 10 or so years with a fresh production team. I'm not sure that in the era of Wicked, Hairspray and DRS that Blood Brothers would play that well on Broadway.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#6re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/17/05 at 3:23pm

I just think it is a bad show regardless. It could stand to be re-workshopped that is for sure. Very American works don't sit well across the pond as very British works don't do well here.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#7re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/17/05 at 3:24pm

I tried to like it, I really did. But my friends and I almost got thrown out of the theatre for laughing at all the wrong moments during the Broadway run. We just found it to be a ridiculous show.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#8re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/17/05 at 3:36pm

Aaaahhhhhh, Blood Brothers!!! This show haunts my dreams at night. I'm with your friends, Redhotinnyc2, I remember laughing at terrible moments because I felt it was sooooooo goofy. It takes itsef far too seriously and the material overall (book, score, lyrics) is lamer than FDR's legs......

...too soon?

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#9re: Blood Brothers
Posted: 6/17/05 at 3:37pm

Way too soon.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Videos