News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

So Cal Urinetown fans!

gavrochegirl
#0So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:26pm

There will be the very first So Cal production of Urinetown at the Costa Mesa Civic Playhouse! It starts on August 26th, and ends on September 25th. At the moment, if you have Backstage West, there are auditions if you're interested. Just thought I'd let you guys know! So Cal Urinetown fans!

What the puck?!

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#1re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:28pm

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

whiskedaway Profile Photo
whiskedaway
#2re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:29pm

if i could sing or dance or act i would SO audition for it! lol, how fun would it be to be in Urinetown? well i will at least go and see the show hopefully.

courtneyanne Profile Photo
courtneyanne
#3re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 7/5/05 at 2:32pm

Cool.

gavrochegirl
#4re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 7/5/05 at 3:24pm

BUMP

What the puck?!

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#5re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 7/5/05 at 3:29pm

You guys are so lucky! I miss Urinetown...

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#6re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 7/5/05 at 5:02pm

I hope they do a good production. It's community theater. Recently they did a very good Secret Garden (despite somewhat cheesy sets) but a very poorly sung Falsettos. I wish them luck with Urinetown, and plan to see it, but don't expect a true "regional" production like you'd get with a CLO.

gavrochegirl
#7re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/13/05 at 10:45pm

Bumping to let everyone know that Urinetown opens in about two weeks...get your tickets before they fly away!

What the puck?!

broadway betty
#8re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:08pm

Does anyone want to do Betty a favor and buy her a t-shirt? I'd send you a check to cover it. And, if you want, I'll send you something you can only get in NY! Let Betty know, PLEASE!!!

WickedElphie85
#9re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:09pm

My best friend is Soupy Sue! :)

gavrochegirl
#10re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:17pm

Ooooh, WickedElphie! I saw her in Into the Woods...she made a great giant. re: So Cal Urinetown fans!

What the puck?!

hedwig14 Profile Photo
hedwig14
#11re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:36pm

Hey broadway betty butz! Fancy meetin' you here.

If there are shirts being sold I will gladly pick one up for you. No problem.

H.

broadway betty
#12re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:45pm

Thanks hedwig featherbutz! You rule! Gav said that So Cal theatre doesn't sell stuff besides candy but if they do I'd love ya forever!

hedwig14 Profile Photo
hedwig14
#13re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/13/05 at 11:59pm

bb butz-Unfortunately Gav is probably correct. But I will keep my fingers crossed for you anyway.

And I will most definitely think of you while chomping on my M&M's. :)

H.

broadway betty
#14re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:14am

hedwig-Thanks for the thought. re: So Cal Urinetown fans! Silly Betty shoulda just bought one when she saw it here in NY.

And, please unwrap your m&m's b/f the show starts. I'd hate for the angry actors to send YOU to Urinetown. re: So Cal Urinetown fans!

SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice Profile Photo
SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice
#15re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/14/05 at 12:27am

Thanks for the heads up. This is a show I must see. What is the background on this show?

"Bad theater is better than no theater" Some smart guy.

IMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
#16re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/14/05 at 4:12am

i believe my friend David is playing Bobby (and his gf is playing Hope). I just saw him in L5Y this weekened up north, and he is good! Everyone should go! if you are there, go!

IMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
#17re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/14/05 at 4:12am

oops... double post!!! Updated On: 8/14/05 at 04:12 AM

Bill63
#18re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/15/05 at 12:31pm

Check out these Urinetown productions in the U.S.
Urinetown

gavrochegirl
#19re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 8/28/05 at 8:30pm

Urinetown has opened, folks...and here are some production photos!

http://www.costamesaplayhouse.org/gallery/

What the puck?!

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#20re: So Cal Urinetown fans!
Posted: 9/18/05 at 1:26pm

I saw CMP's production of Urinetown last night and thought they did an overall very good job. I don't agree at all with the OC Weekly critic who found it better than the tour. No way this production can compare with the superb professional touring production I saw last year. But for community theater, they've done a mostly first rate job. Luckily the show doesn't require fancy costumes or sets, and what they've designed work beautifully. They were also fortunate to have a very experienced professional director, Greg Zerkle, who's understudied lead roles on Broadway in The Secret Garden and Into the Woods, and directed productions at major local venues like CLOSBC in Redondo Beach. The choreography by Nicki Peek is great and the ensemble numbers are very well sung. There are some excellent performances, particularly Heather White as Hope (a future Glinda?), Heather Zavala as Little Sally, and Elizabeth Bouton as Penelope Pennywise. I liked David R. Gordon as Bobby, though he did seem a bit too young for the part. Ed McBride, as Officer Lockstock, was more than adequate, but paled against my memory of the Broadway original, Jeff McCarthy. The production does suffer from having too many high school/college age performers in the ensemble, playing much older characters, which make the show seem at times to be a school production. And director Zerkle should have reined in the over-the-top mugging of Derek Houck, who was out of control, and not in a good way. I'm hoping that a professional production will be mounted in L.A. in the not so distant future. I'd love to see what the Colony or West Coast Ensemble would do with this show. In the meantime, there's still one more weekend for you to catch Costa Mesa Playhouse's production. It's not perfect, but it's well worth the $18 ($15 if you're a student).
Enjoy!
Steven :)

http://www.costamesaplayhouse.org/

Videos